drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » hwo to make a DnB pattern ?
Go to the bottom of this page hwo to make a DnB pattern ?
Author
Tourist

Registration Date: 17-12-2004

Hi,
i want to start making dnb loops or entire songs with frooty loops, i've tried a lot of different things but i can't get it right

can you guys tell me what speed u play ur songs and what's the basic pattern for DnB ?

i tried a sample width of 8 blocks and the i added :

empty scquare: -
marked square 0

bass: 0 - - - - - - - - 0 - 0 - - - - -
snare: - - - - 0 - - - - - - - 0 - - -

but this sounds pretty wierd ?

can anyone help me geeting started off
25-10-2005 15:38 Homepage of Mythix
dYzeaZe dYzeaZe is a male
Blighted Mind

images/avatars/avatar-1694.gif

Registration Date: 25-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

K . . . S . . . , . K . S . . .
as basic as you can get
16 ticks
Kick - ticks 1 and 11
Snare - ticks 5 and 13

__
Right now I'm in the process of making up a good sig.
25-10-2005 15:58
broadside broadside is a male
mentalist

images/avatars/avatar-1818.jpg

Registration Date: 17-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

double up on the first kick for a fuller sound. have highats, some panned a bit a bit left, some panned a bit right, some doing triplets some doing every tick. have a cymbal again a bit panned, and turned right down, doing every four counts. add congos in between. stuff like that.

i started a thread somewhere where people posted their beat sccreenshots, dunno if many people did or not, and the ones i saw where pretty hard to understand, but it might be helpful.

in my experience though, the most important thing to getting a nice break is using nice sounding drums, and moreover drums which complement each other perfectly.
25-10-2005 16:10
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

Speed is usually around 170-180 bpm, If you change the pattern to 8 ticks per beat instead of the standard 4 in fruity, you can add more detail. There are more threads about what patterns to use here, search around. A very basic breakbeat would be like:

K------S------K---K---S---

(K = kick, s= snare)

Offcourse this is more of a starting point then a general rule, you can experiment with different possitions as much as you want.

Then you can add gosts (quieter, shorter snare's or kicks) in between to get it more rolling.

example:

K-G-G---S---G---K---K---S---G-G-
Again, experiment untill you find something you think sounds good

Then you can layer (let them play at the same time) several samples to make your sound more powerfull.

Then (In fruity) you can open the graph editor.

Select the velocity tab, and make some changes to the velocity (volume) of each individual hit. This gives a more natural feel. Do so for every sample.

Finally, you can go to the shift tab in the graph editor. Here you can change the timing of your hits up to + or - 1 tick. Make subtle use of this to give your drumline a more "live" feel.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
25-10-2005 16:29 Homepage of djfreemc
Mythix Mythix is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 17-12-2004

thanks for all youre reply's my first test is working out pretty well, ill upload it so you guys can check it out and give some feedback about what could be a better way to do some things...

the url will be:
http://users.pandora.be/cold_product/fltest.mp3

edit: its up

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Mythix: 25-10-2005 16:55.

25-10-2005 16:52 Homepage of Mythix
M-Theory M-Theory is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 20-10-2005

I can add that at the Simon-V website (just type it in google) u can find few examples of most popular dnb patterns (2step, Amen, Goldie etc)

Cheers
25-10-2005 17:07
sssonarrr sssonarrr is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1223.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

quote:
Originally posted by M-Theory
I can add that at the Simon-V website (just type it in google) u can find few examples of most popular dnb patterns (2step, Amen, Goldie etc)

Cheers

this would be handy if he would work in cubase, but he is working in fruity, and without instrument names it's kind of difficult to see what bar stands for what instrument

__
Bigup laborecordings
25-10-2005 18:08 Homepage of sssonarrr
fogga
Steppa

Registration Date: 23-10-2005

That was some great help there, thanks. I think I will play about some and try and make different patterns and then put what I know on my website because there is quite a lack of "How tos" concering DnB drum patterns.

One question, I am finding it quite hard to make any decent basslines because they all end up sounding more Techno or Tancey than DnB, any tips?
25-10-2005 19:27
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

ALERT ALERT ALERT

Don't get used to thinking musically in patterns!! They will destroy your creativity!!

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
25-10-2005 20:46 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Darkside Darkside is a male
Old-School Rolla

images/avatars/avatar-955.jpeg

Registration Date: 02-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.71

yeah...just do whatever makes you want to move. screw the step sequencer even, go into the piano roll and do some strategically offbeat stuff. have some fun, man.
25-10-2005 22:11
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

bom bom tak
do half-step shuffle Big Grin

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
25-10-2005 22:34 Homepage of Friscko
fogga
Steppa

Registration Date: 23-10-2005

Man I've not done anything in reason for God knows how long, this only took about 5 minutes, not bad for my first ever attempt at DnB lol.

http://media.putfile.com/J-Bliss---Demo-Sample

By the way, when I ment patterns I ment drum patterns.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by fogga: 25-10-2005 22:51.

25-10-2005 22:51
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

For more info on this, search around on the forum, there have been loads and loads of threads on this subject Wink

Some examples:
Snare patterns...
Single or double kick
rolling, raw and pumping
Posty Your Beat Screenshots
Ghost snares
How many layers in your beats
drumloops
the emptyness with your own breaks
don't take away my hi hats!!!
Who to make a (perfect) breakbeat?
how to make yo breaks

etc! etc! etc!

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
26-10-2005 02:50 Homepage of thechronic
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by broadside
double up on the first kick for a fuller sound. have highats, some panned a bit a bit left, some panned a bit right, some doing triplets some doing every tick. have a cymbal again a bit panned, and turned right down, doing every four counts. add congos in between. stuff like that.

i started a thread somewhere where people posted their beat sccreenshots, dunno if many people did or not, and the ones i saw where pretty hard to understand, but it might be helpful.

in my experience though, the most important thing to getting a nice break is using nice sounding drums, and moreover drums which complement each other perfectly.

lo that was a completely rediculous pointless explination because you dont have to do any of that panning left or right shit to make a decent pattner...lol this is funny...all these are funny...

check chronics post Wink

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

26-10-2005 04:12
@1$-)
unregistered
shiffle/groove etc etc etc. drum machines gonna sound funny by themselves.
27-10-2005 22:39
broadside broadside is a male
mentalist

images/avatars/avatar-1818.jpg

Registration Date: 17-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23

lo that was a completely rediculous pointless explination because you dont have to do any of that panning left or right shit to make a decent pattner...lol this is funny...all these are funny...

lo and that was acompletely ridiculous pointless - not to mention standardly arrogant - post.

but yeah i have found that panning the high hats slightly and what not does make for a better sound. still though im not the self proclaimed fucking genius suora, love yourself too much mate. link me up to some of these heavy releases you've made please
28-10-2005 01:00
Arkitekt Arkitekt is a male
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Registration Date: 13-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.82

ugh jesus.... arguin again ...

i will stick up for surora he has some sik tracks... of which im partial to cause we actually can talk... instead of squabling...

the rest of this has been : *edited for content*

anyways...

panning the hats out has led to some interesting results although it is not necessary IMO ... Bigup

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
28-10-2005 01:03 Homepage of Arkitekt
anf0 D anf0 D is a male
CXNT

images/avatars/avatar-1601.jpg

Registration Date: 31-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
16 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

quote:
Originally posted by Arkitekt
panning the hats out has led to some interesting results although it is not necessary IMO ... Bigup

werd... use slight pan in hats n synths to space out shit in the mix also.

__
[R] CentaSpike :: Tracks
28-10-2005 02:20 Homepage of anf0 D
Arkitekt Arkitekt is a male
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Registration Date: 13-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.82

quote:
Originally posted by anf0 D
quote:
Originally posted by Arkitekt

werd... use slight pan in hats n synths to space out shit in the mix also.

again true ..

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
28-10-2005 02:29 Homepage of Arkitekt
Darkside Darkside is a male
Old-School Rolla

images/avatars/avatar-955.jpeg

Registration Date: 02-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.71

if you're too lazy to figure out how to pattern your beats by yourself, or at least listen to some tunes and do it by ear before going out and just asking people, please don't produce music for us. i just got to say this. it's not a hard thing, and a crucial part of developing your own personal style.
28-10-2005 03:28
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » hwo to make a DnB pattern ?