drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Who to make a (perfect) breakbeat?
Go to the bottom of this page Who to make a (perfect) breakbeat?
Author

Registration Date: 29-05-2003

Hi @ll,
i' m using audioappz for 3 years.
And i searched for info about make a real kool breakbeat also talked with friendz who make hiphop or jungle but my results is mostly sound like elektro but not as breakbeat.
I wanna know who to make it more funky, more realistic, more complex etc.
Thx 4 any info Wink
greetz
bluemoon
29-05-2003 19:37
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Whel, I guess you know the basic structure? Kick, snare n ghosts?

The thing is that it are the ghosts that make your break roll, so they are very important. The trick for making good ghosts: practise and experiment a lot!!!
But mainly it comes down to this: ghosts sound similar to you snares, but a bit different. They are much shorter and not as loud. Hope this helps a bit. If you want more info, just ask!

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

29-05-2003 19:47 Homepage of Surya
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.25

the real secret is the feeling that comes with a sampled break from a live drummer, uc, a drummer can be very tight, but never will he be perfect to the nanosecond ...
that gives the natural feeling in a lot of tunes ...
and the shwoong Tongue

__
It's a spiritual thing !

29-05-2003 20:03
bluemoon

Thx 4 fast replies!

@Surya: I have heared from those ghost(beatz) -but i guess i don t know what it is realy; i could imagine the ghostthing, but that s all...
So u set them as eg HH? that the beat is more shuffeld ?
Do u use Reason ?? Or Cubase ?

@-J-:So u think it s also a question of timing ??
In Cubase i know (a lil bit) how to get it more swingable; but in Reason i don t know who to get this (groove) quantisation.
And the other prob is i m not a drummer.
I guess basicknowledge about how to play drums would be very usefull 2 (but havn t found much info s about that also).

Thx so far
& sorry 4 my bad english
greetz
bluemoon

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by bluemoon: 29-05-2003 20:51.

29-05-2003 20:21
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

No, I use Buzz. Ghosts are the shuffeling effect you have between the snare hits. They can be achieved with snares (most common) kicks or hihats, it depends on what fits best with the break you're using. So, when you see the break it could be something like this

K _ K _ S _ G _ G G _ G S_ _ _

where K is kick, S is snare and G is ghost. Numurous variations possible ofcourse!!!

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

29-05-2003 21:11 Homepage of Surya
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.25

quote:
Originally posted by bluemoon

@-J-:So u think it s also a question of timing ??
In Cubase i know (a lil bit) how to get it more swingable; but in Reason i don t know who to get this (groove) quantisation.
And the other prob is i m not a drummer.
I guess basicknowledge about how to play drums would be very usefull 2 (but havn t found much info s about that also).

it's not timing, it's the the timing of the drummer who played the orinal break (as f.e. the amen break is played by the drummer of the winstons ...)
it's the lil offtime pieces and the ghostnotes and the lil shuffles in a break that make it natural, don't even try to recreate something like that in reason//cubase//....
just cut up breaks, speed em up, use em ...
and use samples, lots of them, and try to get nice and dynamic drums, but for all times sake don't bother trying to imitate a live-recorded break in any sequencer ....

__
It's a spiritual thing !

29-05-2003 23:24
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Can't you dequantize in cubase to get the 'human' feelin to your wee break?

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

29-05-2003 23:37 Homepage of Surya
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

You don't *have* to use a cut-up live loop to get a good swing, but it's easier. You can also use single samples of kicks, snares etc but you have to place them carefully (either by 'nudging' them by hand or by using groove quantize or something like that)

Something that works really well but is only rarely done in dnb is using ghost notes on toms instead of snare drum.

To get the best cohesion between drum sounds it would be ideal if the kick, snare, hh etc were sampled from the same drumkit.
Maybe it's a good idea if I start dragging my DAT recorder to gigs and record some sound checks of the drum kits. Hehe would be easy, just saying 'kick drum please', set the level and then record 20 hits on the kick drum. 'snare drum please' Big Grin

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
30-05-2003 13:04 Homepage of thechronic
bluemoon

thx agiain 2 @ll

So ur solution is that if u cut live loops is more effective to make ur beatz as u want them as to programm them strictly with ur seq. ?
This way i havn 't check out yet, but i ' ll.

@-J-: i checked this
K _ K _ S _ G _ G G _ G S_ _ _
up and it pretty funny as it opend a door again Wink
thx 4 this.
Normatly i made beatz like this
eg:
K_H_S_K_x_K_S_x_
or
K_x_S_x_x_K_S_x_
x = could be everythin'
a new way i get shown is:
K_K_S_x_x_x_S_S_

I think my fault was that i tried to do too much with kick/bassdrums instead iof snaredrums... or ghostnotes.

How long do u make ur loops 1,2 or 4 bars ??

greetz
bluemoon
30-05-2003 18:28
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by bluemoon
How long do u make ur loops 1,2 or 4 bars ??

Depends, really

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

30-05-2003 19:10 Homepage of Surya
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

get Ur glasses & check out these:
http://www.breakz.be/portal/modules.php?...pic&t=2970&sid=
and
http://www.breakz.be/portal/modules.php?...opic&t=788&sid=

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
15-08-2003 20:41 Homepage of djfreemc
DjSlut DjSlut is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 27-08-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

nothing adds power to you drums like a bit of quality layering. If you you make your break quiter than the sample based drum beat you can get this kinda constant noise with your drums, i quite like that. Also i think try using 3 or four different hi-hats, arranged one after another, that can be quite sweet:

1 1 2 3 1 4 2 2 3 1 4

Experimant with different combo's and u'll get a nice feeling. Better if your hihats all sounds quite similar! Bigup

__
VAS
30-08-2003 18:42
reflex
Producer

Registration Date: 12-03-2004

I thhink the best way of learning how to make cool jungle/DnB beats is to opening them on reason's dr REX slowing down the track's BPM (to 60 or something) and see how it is bulid , paste the slices to track and see how the samples are organized, u can also recriate your own beats by reorganize it!!

This is great with amens, it looses all it's complexity!!!

Greetz!!! : Bigup
13-03-2004 18:28
reflex
Producer

Registration Date: 12-03-2004

This is not the thread where I wnted to post my reply !!! Huh .....
13-03-2004 18:36
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

If u want to hear some good beat, with ghosts, snares, kick, and whatever, you can either download some unconventional DnB track from here, or listen to some my BreakBeat stuff. I guess I'm better at BreakBeat, so I can post u something.

Whatever, good drumming I, which happened to be a BreakBeat track which I speeded up, is in "How she Makes me Feel" .mp3

Download and listen. The ghosts are between the snares. I saw that you tried to use ghosts (in the first loop that you posted) but you forgot the second kick. One rule I have is that you have to ALWAYS put the second kick, even though it can't be hear cause of the ghosts. The kick is heard, on subtle level, giving speed and power to the break, and if you miss it, you kinda.. uhm.. miss the beat. Smile

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
21-03-2004 23:36 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

It is possible to have a good break without the second kick, but it's hard to get it right, but in some tracks it works perfectly

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

22-03-2004 12:26 Homepage of Surya
palmensack
unregistered
hi, i think the most important aspects of creating dnb grooves is to play a lot with "velocity--> ghost notes as u mentioned above", "pitch" and distortion effects like "bitcrusher". Furthermore, its very nice to play with real-time EQ, for example to cut off the bass immediately.
06-04-2004 23:49
illuminati
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-191.jpg

Registration Date: 21-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

in reason on the REDRUM use 2 and make one basic break then use the 2nd REDRUM and make another beat at 1/8 not a break just for off beats...kinda tricky doesn`t sound good playing a bunch of different things either...i only do it on hi hats...with a little delay...usually 2 millisecs...with the feedback at about 10oclock and the dry/wet at about 10oclock....just the hats tho....on 1, 10 , and 15

maybe another hat on 3,7, 11, 15 i dunno fuck with it a little....but to whomever said u can`t make a good natural sound without layering the basic beat with a loop...is rite...just can`t fake tha funk....sometimes in reason if you put a different loop into a REX player that already has another loop sequenced it messes it up and it sounds weird...u can fuck with this but you have to turn down certain slices because they sound way off....it`s weird u just have to mess around a bit
07-04-2004 00:20
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Who to make a (perfect) breakbeat?