drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » don't take away my hi hats!!!
Go to the bottom of this page don't take away my hi hats!!!
Author
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

okay, i'm really into makin fluid beatz and the only way i've been able to get a 'full sounding' break is by having the hi hats running in a 'every 2-note' formation.i do play around with arrangement but dont seem to get too far before i lose interest

i know that it comes down to a personal taste thing but i just dont know how to get round a break without em!!

i try lowering the volume of them but that takes away so much power from the break.

please give me some brothers!!!, and sisters!!! Bigup

__
My Sounds
06-12-2004 20:28
marisol
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-583.gif

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

yes this is a neccesity it seems. thankfully theres a cool way to mix it up a bit. get yourself a sample pack of hi hats that are very similar and use 3 or 4 to make the first 8/4 line then you can add some saucy cymbals over the top of that. dont forget about the cowbells eitherGaga gotta have more cowbell Big Grin
usually i write out my hi hat lines in 8 to 16 beat segments and i vary the velocity and sometimes the cut as well. also try slightly adjusting the position of the hits, not full 1/2 beat adjustments only very very minor adjust so its undetectible, try to achieve a drummers swing. another thing adjust the volume envelope on the sampler and have some samples play a bit longer or shorter than the others.
The Cronic posted up a real nice pack of hi hats that are perfect for this. they do need some compression but thats a good thing. ahh yes compression almost forgot, you can get some good results with compression too. set a compressor so you get a small amount of gating over you hi hats, you can get some nice results with this. bit crushing can get some cool sounds too just dont go overboard, make sure some of the source sound makes it through the mix so you get a nice crunchy sound but still hold some of the character of the hi hats.
06-12-2004 20:56
zebediah
is deep in the jungle

images/avatars/avatar-659.jpg

Registration Date: 08-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

Yeah I run into hi hat problems as well. Without them my breaks sound weak. Someone who I believe has mastered the art of the break is Total Science. Their hi hats sound unbelievably crisp + fat over their beats. For instance the tune "Squash." I would advise against making your hi hats undetectably off for mixing purpouses. I could be wrong. The track wouldn't become less mixable ... I just believe there's some sort of magic in a nice tight robotic hat. It seems like it makes the break sound like its moving steadily as if it has wheels.
06-12-2004 23:45 Homepage of zebediah
marisol
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-583.gif

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

What i meant by undetectible was the placement of them not the levels.
06-12-2004 23:50
zebediah
is deep in the jungle

images/avatars/avatar-659.jpg

Registration Date: 08-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

I understood what you meant. I like doing that with downtempo beats. Really gives it that live drummer feel like you said. What programs do you use?
07-12-2004 00:02 Homepage of zebediah
Glim Glim is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

since starting this thread i've tried to make a few intro's and breaks for tracks. i've sort of been successful but it's really hard to not give in and slap in those hi hats!!!!

G Bigup

__
My Sounds
07-12-2004 18:10
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Snare ghost hits! Only that! Bigup

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
07-12-2004 18:20 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Glim Glim is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

ur right mate.
i guess it jus comes down to complacency in the end
i smoke too much when i produce, it makes me lazy!!! lol
Spliff

__
My Sounds
07-12-2004 18:26
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

Bigup all i can say is I LOVE RAMBLING HI's!!!!!!! my tracks will tell you this lol.....just throw em in there...trust me in the end they soudn soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooooooooooooood...

BIG UPS TO DA RAMBLING HI'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bigup Bigup

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

07-12-2004 20:28
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.25

try searching for full break-loops
and cut them yourself, and listen carefully what they consist of

then ... go search your own sounds and create ur own breaks with what u've learned urself about 'em

nothing as cool as finding all those lil secrets yourself ...

sure hats are important, but if i had to (F.E.!) take Surora's words for it, i'd hat a hihat line that goes TRRRRRRRRRRRT over the whole line

ghosts (snares, toms, hats, etc) are as important as major hits (hats, snares, BD's...etc) and so on and so on. The key is just to be very thoughtful and considered about every hit you put there and think about the place it has and the function that particular hit has in relation to one another, and which place that hit takes in the dynamics of the break ...

maybe a bit of an abstract explanation, but i did my best to say as clear as possible what i wanted to say Smile

__
It's a spiritual thing !

12-12-2004 01:19
Glim Glim is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

you put across your point's very well bruv

cheers for the input

G

__
My Sounds
12-12-2004 11:30
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

high end shelf, turn it up a bit to add sparkle to the mix. thus keep volume down but still have crisp hats... i dunno. just the suggestion i found in mixing that does't sound right......

MR.SPARKLE!

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

13-01-2005 20:58 Homepage of Halph-Price
haxon haxon is a male
Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-672.gif

Registration Date: 21-10-2004

a cowbell sounds like a screwdriver in my ear Confused

__
.signature
.haxon
.nocturnal industries
.since 96 to infinity
26-01-2005 09:40 Homepage of haxon
equipped equipped is a male
tired

images/avatars/avatar-2339.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
22 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.23

quote:
Originally posted by Glim

i smoke too much when i produce, it makes me lazy!!! lol
Spliff
No the feelin Glim,..i smoke twice as much when producing!!...and yeah it makes me a dam lazy piece of poo too,...time for me to lay off the shit for a bit and get a fucking tune done for once!!....Seriously......im fucking burnt these day's... Frown ...it's all got to be done in moderation for the shit to spark mad creativity like it used too ,..again all imo....anyway i ain't quitin Shocked , just cuttin the shit down for a bit.......Well,... thought id letcha all no,...and my shit's fucking ramblin again,...sorry son's...

__
Space
10-01-2006 05:38
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

with some of my hats like say with my 1/8th line, i roll OUT a lttle treble so it blends nicely with the breaks i'm using.
i'm NOT talking loads, just a little.
then you can turn them up a little without them hitting through too much but you still get the feel of them.
then add some hats with " mr sparkle"

not sure if that makes sense but hey i tried Big Grin

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by D2o: 10-01-2006 16:03.

10-01-2006 11:24 Homepage of D2o
@1$-)
unregistered
sample some old drum breaks......rex it, use the swing of the pattern to trigger your own beats via midi.....

just a thought.
10-01-2006 16:30
dizriz
Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-1507.jpg

Registration Date: 10-01-2006

Ok man fluid beats are the way forward, everyone has their own ways but hears mine.

Find a nice original break, usually from some old funk or something. (Even better spend time writing your own). Tweak it until you like it (lower decay? pitch it up? filter it?) then cut it up into 8ths. All this can be done in Propellorheads Recycle). For the purpose of demonstration cut the hats out.

Use the cut-up break and make your own sicker break. Layer it to fatten it.

Find whatever kicks and snares you like, make them sound how you want them to and layer these over your break. (Make them sound good with the break).

So a sick roller and no hats used. Add your hats and sick it up. A usual full break for me consists of about 15000 drum breaks and about a million hat breaks all cut and layered a thousand times.

It seems most you guys on here are not into sampled beats though, oh well.

Recommended: Kontakt, Re-cycle, Cubase, Cool Edit Pro

__
Liquid
10-01-2006 16:39
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

hihats, that's the part of percussion on which i mostly don't use any fx, just eq and slight reverb. I always search for the sample that fits to my taste and don't really alter the sound of it anymore. Ideal situation is when u have 3-4 variations of the same hihat; (open, closed and in between) use them all to make a driving hihats pattern.

I only rarely use hats from the original break, cuz they mostly don't very sound clear. But if such a break has a intersting drumroll i sample that as a whole and use it that way in my tunes.

2nd velocity is very important, I somewhere read to lower the velocity of the hihat in between the first kick and first snare in your loop and boost the hihat just behind the 1st snare. this way ur beats get that typical drving feel.

stereo. also very important. Pan u'r hats a bit it the right and left to get a good stereo image in u'r tune. especially on open hihats. short closed hihats are mostly centered stereowise when i make a tune.
A trick I use to make my hats stand out more in the mix without boosting it's volume, is layering. put 2 of the same patterns of the same sample over eachtther and pan the one channel a bit to the right, and the ther the same amount to the left. to enhance this effect give one of the sample a slight offset before it starts playing (talking milliseconds here)

__

10-01-2006 16:45 Homepage of Emblem-X
equipped equipped is a male
tired

images/avatars/avatar-2339.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
22 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.23

quote:
Originally posted by dizriz
A usual full break for me consists of about 15000 drum breaks and about a million hat breaks all cut and layered a thousand times.
Wink same, same,...no your shit Divriz!...couldn't have put it into better word's myself,..Cheers...{Edit}-->had to edit this,..don't use recycle and never will.. Wink

__
Space

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by equipped: 10-01-2006 20:29.

10-01-2006 19:33
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

quote:
Originally posted by -J-
try searching for full break-loops
and cut them yourself, and listen carefully what they consist of

then ... go search your own sounds and create ur own breaks with what u've learned urself about 'em

nothing as cool as finding all those lil secrets yourself ...

sure hats are important, but if i had to (F.E.!) take Surora's words for it, i'd hat a hihat line that goes TRRRRRRRRRRRT over the whole line

ghosts (snares, toms, hats, etc) are as important as major hits (hats, snares, BD's...etc) and so on and so on. The key is just to be very thoughtful and considered about every hit you put there and think about the place it has and the function that particular hit has in relation to one another, and which place that hit takes in the dynamics of the break ...

maybe a bit of an abstract explanation, but i did my best to say as clear as possible what i wanted to say Smile

thoes ghost snares and toms and such, are much more difficult than any hi hat problem.

constant hat is good for drops, maybe cut them outa bit more sparse in the betweens. really hats do go often, and it's hard to get different tibre from the same sample. the ear precives the high end with much more clarity because there's more freq packed in there. most of the clarity from human speech dervies from high end.

get a bunch of the same hi-hat samples multi-ple times, and get a way of triggering them randomly, suggested 5, because it's harder to notice repeats.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

11-01-2006 01:57 Homepage of Halph-Price
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » don't take away my hi hats!!!