drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » rolling, raw and pumping
Go to the bottom of this page rolling, raw and pumping
Author
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 03-09-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

does anyone have any tips to get the beats in drum and bass as rolling, raw and pumping as possible... i know that you should overlap 2 hihat lines and a conga line in two drum machines overlapping... and possibly a pre made (filtered) loop (or edit the loop to fit your own inspiration).... but i cannot get that raw sound they have on real records...does anyone have any tips?
04-09-2005 17:30 Homepage of Invent
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

Editing:

make a 'simple' drumloop , save it and open it in fruity slicer.
Then start editing...
make as many variations as possible and do the same with other drumloops.

Rollin':

making your ghostsnares; copy them from the snare and tweak the 'hold' button to make it shorter , allso reduce the volume .
make ghostsnares switching high end , low end.

Reeverb:
give your drums a slight reeverb if you like.

Push em up:

If your working with fruityloops i suggest the Fruity Blood Overdrive;
set the 'x100' button and tweak the 'Amp' and 'Gain' Button to create some harshness. but watch out with that item , it could cost you a pair of speakers.

Dont forget:

Hi-hats , rides , cymbals to fill up the high frequenty.
04-09-2005 18:02
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

layer with amen or tramen Big Grin
and put a reese on it Wink

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
04-09-2005 18:37 Homepage of Friscko
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Friscko
layer with amen or tramen Big Grin
and put a reese on it Wink

FIREFIGHT MASSIVE !!!
04-09-2005 18:56
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Conga's? I NEVER use congas Smile

Rolling? Put in ghost hits!!!

Raw? Analogue distortion!!!

Pumping? Right EQing is VERY important!!!

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

04-09-2005 19:00 Homepage of Surya
Invent Invent is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 03-09-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

congas can make it sound more lively... but ofcourse is not a must Happy
04-09-2005 20:10 Homepage of Invent
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

quote:
Originally posted by Invent
congas can make it sound more lively... but ofcourse is not a must Happy

check out those congas on Enduser's PretenseRinse

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
04-09-2005 20:25 Homepage of Friscko
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

yeah congo's do fill up the space in drumloops.
but don't use them all the time.

Dont forget the use of FX like highpass , bandpass , notch , etc... to get some varation in it.
04-09-2005 20:48
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

the best for you would be to take a sampled drumloop (amen tramen fireficht whatever) and use a cutting software etc. Recycle or theres Fruity slicer in FL

when you chop it up you can see where they are and what sound makes the loop rolling..

make a drum loop with those samples you have now from cutting. once you get the idea you can start making with any other sounds you find.

dont put an amen under your loop just to make it rolling lol taht is a quick fix.. and you'll never create your style but instead forever dwell in the mud of loops dependency

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
04-09-2005 21:24 Homepage of cynik
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

And put some swing on the background percussion.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
05-09-2005 14:36 Homepage of thechronic
optikal_assassin optikal_assassin is a male
|da jungle snipa|

images/avatars/avatar-3214.jpg

Registration Date: 18-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
Conga's? I NEVER use congas Smile

Rolling? Put in ghost hits!!!

Raw? Analogue distortion!!!

Pumping? Right EQing is VERY important!!!

Very good points. I think your ears are the number one key to getting that right flow in a break. You gotta listen to make sure everything flows and not all outta whack, and that's where right eq'ing comes into play. Eq'ing plays a huge role. Even the simplest two step break can sound pretty phat with the right amount of eq'ing. Me personally I like to add slight amounts of distortion to my breaks to give them a bit more of a raw sound after all the eq'ing is in place. I think Surya made the best points for each scenario. Just search the web or even the forums here for proper eq'ing education as well as compression. Boring shit to learn but it's gonna make the difference between a pro beat and a floppy dead beat.

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace
05-09-2005 17:51
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Yeah, EQing is almost everything. Have a probmem? Don't use compression, use EQing!!! You can still add compression afterwords...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

05-09-2005 19:04 Homepage of Surya
Darkside Darkside is a male
Old-School Rolla

images/avatars/avatar-955.jpeg

Registration Date: 02-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.71

i dont even see the point of trying to explain how to make good beats in one single thread. it really takes quite a lot of practice if you're looking to make the pro beats.
05-09-2005 19:47
optikal_assassin optikal_assassin is a male
|da jungle snipa|

images/avatars/avatar-3214.jpg

Registration Date: 18-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Darkside
i dont even see the point of trying to explain how to make good beats in one single thread. it really takes quite a lot of practice if you're looking to make the pro beats.

true that, practice should prolly be one of the top things. No tutorial is really gonna show you how to lay a pro sounding break, just give you the right basics of getting going. The rest is alot of trial and error. Not to mention you think alot of these producers do this shit for a living and do this shit day in and out. Seems like a big ass mystery how all the top dawgs get it right everytime, but the average bedroom producer struggles trying to find that right ingredient to a pro sound.

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace
05-09-2005 20:00
GreatFisherCat
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2084.jpg

Registration Date: 21-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

To get better production, try these tricks:

get your favourite set of songs in same genre than your song. Upload them to stereo tracks in your favourite sequencer, along with your tune. Mute all except one, do a comparison session. Analytically compare other tracks to yours. Write notes. You will notice stuff, like frequency-wise some stuff is a bit out of place, bass needs more bottom, more aggressive beats at second half of the song need work and so on. That work sucks, because youre pinpointing your faults. but youre going into right direction!

Then comes the hard part. You know whats wrong, but how to get that in there? Plenty can be done with EQ. Do this: Take one band out of a a EQ, crank Q -value (wideness of the EQ curve, higher it is, smaller area of frequency spectrum is affected) into something like 10, boost with 12-20 dB, and sloooowly sweep around the frequency spectrum, listening the change. You will notice, that around 60-80Hz there is much more trouser-flapping bass.100-110Hz is a frequency that makes your kick drum to ... er.. kick Roll Eyes In 250Hz bass sounds boomy. 10kHz snare gets a clicking sound, 1kHz gives it some body. at 12-14kHz hihats get sparkle and so on. When you find what youre looking for, then you can start experimenting with proper EQ settings.

Try listening your tune in different loudspeakers and rooms. harrass your friends, mom, music shops with monitor loudspeakers.

What you could also do, is to analytically listen some good songs in similar genre, and steal ideas and production methods from those songs.

read a book about production. Honestly. there are some in every good library. You can actually steal production tips from rock music book and most of that works all well to distorted to hell ass kicking DnB. Thats where I get my review tips Big Grin

Listen analytically to stuff done by greats at here, they really really work with their beats - they got huge amounts of variation at loops/played beats plus several drum kits in one song. Bassline is not repeating one or two bars but is really complex and full of variation. This is a very difficult stuff to do, because if you are varying too much, youre breaking the song into pieces. It is all about right balance.

WORK YOUR BEATS. Do NOT use CTRL+C / CTRL+V Big Grin Cut them into small pieces, build fills, introduce effects, but keep the feeling of the beats same. If you have 3 different versions of same 8-bar loop, cut each of them into 1-bar pieces and play with them like with lego bricks. DnB is very difficult genre to be in with. It works with such a minimal amount of components: Drums, bass, 2 additional instruments, some effects. In such context, you wont get away with copypasting stuff. You NEED to do SOME kind of changes, or listener will get bored (or walk out of the dance floor). Here is some good reading for you about it:

Repetitiveness

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by GreatFisherCat: 09-09-2005 21:16.

09-09-2005 21:14
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » rolling, raw and pumping