drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How many layers in your beats
Go to the bottom of this page How many layers in your beats
Author
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

The the emptyness with your own breaks thread made me wonder how many layers you usually have in your breaks... I know it varies, but I mostly have around 10 or even more, mostly including an amen or tramen...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

13-05-2005 10:24 Homepage of Surya
Soi Soi is a male
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

For normal straight beats: drums (several drumkits/hits) + up to 5 loops/breaks

For more broken stuff and rythmical mayhem: drums (several drumkits/hits) + up to 10 loops/breaks

so layering is indeed a key-issue.
and yes, a (tr)amen is also a key-issue Cool

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
13-05-2005 10:53 Homepage of Soi
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

wow, i usually get maybe one break, than layer on 3 -6 snares, and a kick. maybe another break for hi-hats. and then add distortion!!!! Rinse

avoid amen like the plauge!

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 13-05-2005 12:15.

13-05-2005 12:14 Homepage of Halph-Price
@1$-)
unregistered
good question.

lots. but at the end of the day you dont always need to do it, it depends on the quality of your samples and your compression and eq techniques. you can overdo things easily with layering.

the amen/tramen thing has really been done to much imo.
slightly bored of it now, plus its a really easy way out, if your crap at making drums sticking a classic sample like that over the top is a simple way to make it sound better, ok its how you chop it up that counts but cmon people!!!! use some imagination........look at breakcore, mad drum programming in there but they try and find "rare"/unused breaks to do it with most of the time

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by utter muppet: 13-05-2005 15:06.

13-05-2005 15:01
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

depends, its somewhere between 5 and 15..per kind of drumsound (kick, snare, hats, shizzl,..)
and mostly no breaks, feels to prefab to me

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
13-05-2005 16:21 Homepage of Friscko
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
The the emptyness with your own breaks thread made me wonder how many layers you usually have in your breaks... I know it varies, but I mostly have around 10 or even more, mostly including an amen or tramen...

ooo i got all kinds of layers in my stuff...for one single break i might be useing 4-5 different kicks....4-5 diff snares, and a few hats..., then itll be layered with what i like to call a ghost break (my break with lower valume and only the hi end coming through "this helps brighten things up" with some ghost snares and some fast hats)

then i might layer and amen or soemthing underneath if necisarry...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

13-05-2005 16:42
Darkside Darkside is a male
Old-School Rolla

images/avatars/avatar-955.jpeg

Registration Date: 02-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.71

surora, ur ghost break idea never causes any phase cancellation? or whatever u call it.

anyway, i now have started using about 4 breaks/loops, a kick, snare, open and/or closed hat, and a ride very lightly. sometimes i also add a conga/tambourine. or even a cowbell or maraca, but not as often.
14-05-2005 02:24
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

it would if it was the same break. but he uses a different break for the high end, is what i assume he means. which is essentialy what a lot of people do in some way or another....

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

14-05-2005 05:46 Homepage of Halph-Price

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Darkside
surora, ur ghost break idea never causes any phase cancellation? or whatever u call it.

anyway, i now have started using about 4 breaks/loops, a kick, snare, open and/or closed hat, and a ride very lightly. sometimes i also add a conga/tambourine. or even a cowbell or maraca, but not as often.

dont use the sample samples in the same pattern and taht wont happen...also when i do it, i use different samples all together...so i dont get the phasing artifacts...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

14-05-2005 06:56
spudleyq spudleyq is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1932.jpg

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

I try not to layer too much. If you add too many different frequencies to your drums they start to sound noisy. I usually have my own breaks using anywhere from 6-15 samples, and layer a couple chopped up loops. If I'm using two different breaks in a song, I'll do that for each break.

MUNKI is right, with the proper eqing and compression techniques......even a single set of samples can sound fat as hell. I suppose it all depends on how dynamic you want your drums to sound.

__

Click on the pic above to visit my music profile on Myspace.
15-05-2005 21:42 Homepage of spudleyq

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by toneloc
never layer, 1 kick, 1 snare , 1 hat, cabaca, maracas, conga or some other percusson and that's it. if doesnt' sound loud or punchy or whatever enoug i use vst's to get the sound i want (compressors, distortion...........), layering sucks.

um dude...layering is one of the most key factors in producing breaks...even simple jazzy breaks have many layers to them...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

16-05-2005 04:01
Abnormalbrain Abnormalbrain is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 24-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.50

Exactly what does ya dudes mean by layering? Like the layer in Fl studio where you put many kicks for example at once and have one fruity layer to controll them?
I use both breaks that I chop up and single hits. I don't like using just breaks or just hits... Have both to make a good sound. If it gets to messy you can always cut off some attack frome some of the hits.

__
--------------------------------------------------
da rollaz, da steppaz da true playaz
16-05-2005 09:31 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

layering = combining different sounds together to make a new sound, no?

I layer, compress, reverb, distort (in no particular order). some things are better left unlayered though due to the mentioned noise.

sounds easy in theory but it's SOO damn hard makin it sound right in practice... Evil

experimentation as always to find a unique style.. Tongue

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
16-05-2005 09:52 Homepage of cynik
arqtic
Tourist

Registration Date: 20-02-2004

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
um dude...layering is one of the most key factors in producing breaks...even simple jazzy breaks have many layers to them...

don't really agree, it all depends what sound you're going for.
Listen to Fanu or Fracture&Neptune f.i., they don't layer any drums.
Of course, this has more of a 'live' feel to it.
They claim to beef it up by just eq'ing and envelope.
16-05-2005 10:34

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by arqtic
quote:
Originally posted by Surora23

don't really agree, it all depends what sound you're going for.
Listen to Fanu or Fracture&Neptune f.i., they don't layer any drums.
Of course, this has more of a 'live' feel to it.
They claim to beef it up by just eq'ing and envelope.

well wahtever...to each is own i guess...Smile

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

16-05-2005 14:26
Abnormalbrain Abnormalbrain is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 24-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.50

It's interesting how peaple makes their beats. I take 1-2 loops and put them in the slicer. Then I eq and add fx to them induvidually. Then I got one or more channels for singel hits. After that I add every drumsound to one master-drum-chanel. There I add some more eq and compression reverb etc. When I eq I try to get as clean sound as possible, and I've noticed that it can be a problem sometimes couse the sound can get boring with no feel and sound to steril.

__
--------------------------------------------------
da rollaz, da steppaz da true playaz
16-05-2005 14:46 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
@1$-)
unregistered
quote:
Originally posted by toneloc
never layer, 1 kick, 1 snare , 1 hat, cabaca, maracas, conga or some other percusson and that's it. if doesnt' sound loud or punchy or whatever enoug i use vst's to get the sound i want (compressors, distortion...........), layering sucks.

lol.
you dont know what your talking about.
hmmmm.
u got producers rights yet????? lets check ya beats then
i know earlier i said you dont always need to do it, but its very very rare......layers of beats and instruments as well are what give pro recordings their full sound.........and it sounds bigger because they have really good seperation of the layers.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by utter muppet: 16-05-2005 14:58.

16-05-2005 14:56
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How many layers in your beats