drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » how to make yo breaks
Go to the bottom of this page how to make yo breaks
Author
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 08-03-2003

Here's a little tutorial I wrote for DNB Arena. Thought you guys might be interested.

ok this one's pretty in depth for those who can't seem to write their own breaks.
you wanna make at least 3 patterns at least for the four measures that a beat will loop at. Focus at the same time on kick and snare in 2 tracks. The sequencing should go 1213, 1 being a stable, basic heart of the beat, 2 being a slight variation: copy the beat pattern then add a kick toward the end to lead into it maybe, or something small extra added. Then 1 again, and then 3: Copy either 1 or 2 depending, then you better be changing shit a bit more, here it'll feel ok to add more snares (not ghost snares yet) if you want, but also mix it up a lot more than the variation of 2.
In different tracks add a shake pattern, spanning 2 measures, 8th notes steady with a slight variation at the end will do. Add a hihat pattern, good idea to span 2 measures, and maybe even copy and add a variation to the second time around. Pan these 10-20%to the right or left, add a slight stereo effect on them if you want. (the kick and snare need to be dead center with no stero effects on them) It's good to have either the shake or the hihat doing 8th notes, while the other one is syncopating more to the beat. For a beat to feel really rolling you're gonna need a lot of action, I feel it's good to, at the most intense part of your track, look to see that every 1/4th of a beat in your track has a drum hit playing. This is where you add ghost snares and variations to the shake, hihat, or tamb(which act the same as shake and hihat if it's a short enough sample), and where you might add a bongo or other interesting percussion sample seemingly in the middle of the beat.

You gotta make your beat interesting. There are many tricks to adding the extra spiciness, and you gotta pick whatever fits. Some are:
1.Reversing a sample, I use it in some way in just about every tune, most obviously in the crash. Reversing a kick and not letting it reach the attack before it reverses again and plays where it normally would in the beat is a good effect as well.
2.RETRIGS! they're fricken tight. If you use the same volume as a normal trigger though, it's gonna stick out like HOY! I normally turn the volume down to oh, 1/4 or less when retrigging. I normally use them with hihats, but they can add flavor to many elements, including vocals.
3.Layering. When your drum sample sounds ok, but needs more umph in some way, yet you don't have that perfect sample in your library-Layer the sample you're using with another sample. Most obviously used in snare, where often a clap is (at a low volume) layered overtop. You can also use this with your kicks. If your kick needs grit to it, combine a gritty sound to it, play around.
4.Vocoding. This one I don't utilize very much, but lots of people find it really useful. Vocoding does not only produce that funky effect on your voice, it's a method of combining a carrier with a modulator to create a single sound from two different ones. Very interesting deal, research it.
5.Doubling up on your beat: You can have a beat going really nice, but it's pretty experimental sounding and lacks a backbone. Then you MIGHT want to add another kick and snare(only kick and snare) in a pretty basic pattern to go overtop of the more wild one.
6.The crazy pattern. Something that I find pretty cool is to create another variation in your beat that you only use once or twice in a song, sticking it in the 3rd measure of a break outta nowhere. Nothing that'll break the flow, just an extra spiciness. Catches people offguard and makes them smile.

That's about all I can think of right now to help you guys out. I hope those of you who only sample loops will start composing beats from single hits now. It gives you 100% control, and that's pretty important, especially for adding variation, which is key.
Good Luck!
-dj Busby
http://busby.iuma.com
08-07-2003 22:09
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Nice tutorial man. Don't think much people here use loops, I think most of us are past that now Tongue
Nice anyway, some tricks in there that I haven't used yet.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

09-07-2003 09:15 Homepage of Surya
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Nice post!!!

What do you mean by the retriggering??

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
13-07-2003 01:37 Homepage of thechronic
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
What do you mean by the retriggering??

It's a function with which you can play a sample very fast over and over within one tick, if I'm not mistaken

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

13-07-2003 01:42 Homepage of Surya
PEAHEAD
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1473.jpg

Registration Date: 27-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

i should have read this post urlia.itz a very good tutorial
03-01-2006 11:56
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » how to make yo breaks