drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Fairly new to making DnB, could use some help
Go to the bottom of this page Fairly new to making DnB, could use some help
Author

Registration Date: 29-07-2009

Hi all.

So to start off, this is my first post at the forum. Long time listener, first time caller. And this looked like a nice community so i'd figure to start posting here :-)

I have been listening to DnB for a long time, and it really inspires me to create my own tracks. I started out in Acid Pro, but it didn't really fulfill my needs.

Reason on the other hand, with many more sound functions, gives many more possibilities.

So, i have the drum part down mostly, creating breakbeats and such.

But i don't think i really have the technique down to create striking bass reeses, or the proper notes and timing.

I do have a fair amount of musical knowledge (music school, 7 years of guitar playing)

So what i'd like to ask is if there's anyone here at all, that's not a complete beginner, that would like to tutor me a bit along through msn or any other instant messenger. Someone i can send some reason files to to have you listen to them and help me along the way a bit.

any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

i'm not a tough student, i learn quickly and have a lot of curiousity to go on my own path with the advice you give me :-)

thanks in advance everyone!
29-07-2009 16:25
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

The first and the best resource you'll ever need: FAQ / Knowledge Base (lots of links to production related information)

After reading a while, you should have more references so you can ask clearer questions about specific things that people can answer you. We can't know where to start writing with question so broadly asked.

There are some less-specific threads around the board, namely:

How Music Works
tension in drum and bass
Discover mixing tricks by listening to the side
more writers block

that can help you know the scheme of dnb/jungle music, and of music composition/production overall.

Oh yeah, and try to keep your thread-names specific about your questions. Thread called "I need help, I'm fucked up" won't get many replies as you don't specify about what you need help for. (this thread is named good, though, but set in the wrong location, so I'm going to move it where it should be).

Have fun and we await for your questions!

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
29-07-2009 18:01 Homepage of Muad'Dib
BassSucker

Registration Date: 29-07-2009

well thank you for the reply and help. Though i don't entirely get why you moved the thread since i am specificly looking for people that use Reason that can kind of help me along the way with some kind personal tutoring.

thanks anyways for the links, i'll certainly check them out! :-)
29-07-2009 18:21
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2885.jpg

Registration Date: 25-04-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

hey, you may or may not know already but:
for a masltrom synth, put both oscillators on sawtooth, and mess with 'Cent' on one of the oscillators, this will detune the sound and make it sound ace. Then put that sound through Scream distortion .. tape sounds good!
For more complex mals synths, make a combinator. Now make a 'Spider audio merger and splitter' inside it, and a few malstroms. Press Tab on your keboard to swap the rack around. You'll see that the spider thing has four inputs and an output on the left half, and one input and four outputs on the right half. On the malstrom, there is a 'main output' section. Click on the 'left filter a' to create a cable, now drag it onto an input jack on (the left half of) the spider audio. Do the same for the rest of your malstroms. Finally, make a cable from the output jack on the left half and make it go into the combinator 'from devices' jack. There you go!
You can add effects within that combinator as well. Say you have a scream. You would first connect your malstroms to the spider audio, but instead of putting a cable from the output jack straight to the combi, you would put it into the scream input, and then make a cable going from the scream input to the combi. Good yeah? You can use more effects and simply link them all up via the input and output ports, or you could make another spider audio for having more than four malstroms.
Of course, you can use this for any device you want, such as a subtractor.

__
CtMc Cool
14-08-2009 00:45
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2885.jpg

Registration Date: 25-04-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

[quote][ it into the scream input, and then make a cable going from the scream input to the combi. quote]
Sorry, I meant 'and then make a cable going from the scream OUTPUT to the combi'.

__
CtMc Cool
14-08-2009 00:48
2k20

Registration Date: 23-08-2009

notes and timing = trail and error man + practice makes perfect!

set your beat looping, play with the bassline for as many hours as it takes you go get the thing going the way you like it. just play with it and you will find the answer in time.
26-08-2009 19:20
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Fairly new to making DnB, could use some help