drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » which modern DAW for someone who is used to trackers?
Go to the bottom of this page which modern DAW for someone who is used to trackers?
Author
old skool fools with new skool tools

images/avatars/avatar-2978.gif

Registration Date: 25-08-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

It's been awhile since I have made any tracks and need some input.
I used to use a couple of Amigas running octamed soundstudio, acouple of samplers and afew synths. Now I still have the hardware but I know it's not needed with todays programs but can I still use these if required. Is there anything out there which is simular to soundstudio? I like the idea of controling sounds on a line by line basis, I have Reason 4 but even laying down a break track is making me frustrated. If this is recomended(reason 4) is there anywhere I can d/l example tracks? maybe in stages so I can see what is going on?I also got myself a novation remote 25, is this ok for input?
I feel such a noob by todays standards!
cheers! Drummer
OGENIC

__
OGENIC
Drummer
25-08-2008 21:55
PLaGuE CeLL PLaGuE CeLL is a male
Subwoofer on a Killing Spree

images/avatars/avatar-1457.jpg

Registration Date: 13-01-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

I would definitely not call you a noob, you sound like an old pro! These days we can press a button and get a sound that takes you ages to perfect with your hardware.... you're the one with the real skill! Once you get the hang of software you'll know far more about whats goin on than plenty of us :p

__
My Myspace
25-08-2008 22:01
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

http://www.simonv.com/tutorials/reason.php

simon v explains reason - .rns file included

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
25-08-2008 23:05 Homepage of cynik
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by PLaGuE CeLL
I would definitely not call you a noob, you sound like an old pro! These days we can press a button and get a sound that takes you ages to perfect with your hardware.... you're the one with the real skill! Once you get the hang of software you'll know far more about whats goin on than plenty of us :p

With more possibilities comes more complex sound. So I disagree that we lag behind the knowledge of hw guys (though I admit that having that skill is not for throwing away Big Grin )

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
26-08-2008 01:06 Homepage of Muad'Dib
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Most current programs have step sequencers, which is very comparable to how trackers work. This will be very familiar for you. Reason has a step sequencer too, try it Tongue

Most programs now work with the timeline horizontally and the tracks vertically, with trackers this is usually the other way round. It only takes a few hours to get used to this. Basically your "lines" will now be "columns".

If you already have Reason I would just suggest to persevere with it for a while until you know the program a bit better. After the initial confusion you will get the hang of it very quickly.

No use to switch programs too soon, every piece of software takes a couple of weeks to get to know properly.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
26-08-2008 05:50 Homepage of thechronic
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I have a comparable background in tracker-software (soundtracker, protracker, octamed amiga, fastracker pc) and I have gone through similar problems when adapting to todays popular commercial music software.

If you want to stick with the original concept of a tracker, you could go for RENOISE, it's really good stuff. Personally I kept trying to adapt and went for FL studio. Once you get the hang of modern programs you might prefer their approach above the tracker way of doing things, but that's personal taste. Just see for yourself what works best for you.

One positive aspect of using a popular DAW is the ability to collaborate with others in a very flexible way.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
26-08-2008 08:50 Homepage of BattleDrone
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Good points, chaps. Also, I think Reason is the right choice if you come from the hardware world because it emulates hardware units.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
26-08-2008 10:53 Homepage of Muad'Dib
selig
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

Fl studio was originally meant to be like a tracker so you might like to try that.

http://www.flstudio.com/

I'd also recommend trying Reaper.

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/
26-08-2008 13:49
ogenic ogenic is a male
old skool fools with new skool tools

images/avatars/avatar-2978.gif

Registration Date: 25-08-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Thanks for the replies fellas Big Grin
I've decided to stick with Reason 4 and have just purchased a tutorial dvd.So hopefully this will help me get my head around it all.
One other thing, wav samples...now Before I would speed up/slow down say a break in soundstudio to fit the tempo I was using or if the tempo was too far out of range cut the break into samples and reprogram a pattern.With rex2 files the samples come with information( I'm asuming) that allows the break/loop to be sped up without stretching it.And can only be used in dr rex, or can I use it in other samplers?
So where does the wav files fit, do they come with said information? What can I use them in, the other samplers? would these be stretched?or maybe spit up into single drum hits spread over a key range?
Now I plan on using my old vinyl to get some of my samples. I have cool edit pro2, is this ok to use?
while typing this I just got an invite, from an old dj pal to have a butchers at his set up. He says he uses FL and Neuendo.Is this a good combo?
Your input is much appreciated.
Drummer
OGENIC

__
OGENIC
Drummer
27-08-2008 15:43
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
Originally posted by ogenic
Thanks for the replies fellas Big Grin
I've decided to stick with Reason 4 and have just purchased a tutorial dvd.So hopefully this will help me get my head around it all.
One other thing, wav samples...now Before I would speed up/slow down say a break in soundstudio to fit the tempo I was using or if the tempo was too far out of range cut the break into samples and reprogram a pattern.With rex2 files the samples come with information( I'm asuming) that allows the break/loop to be sped up without stretching it.And can only be used in dr rex, or can I use it in other samplers?
So where does the wav files fit, do they come with said information? What can I use them in, the other samplers? would these be stretched?or maybe spit up into single drum hits spread over a key range?
Now I plan on using my old vinyl to get some of my samples. I have cool edit pro2, is this ok to use?
while typing this I just got an invite, from an old dj pal to have a butchers at his set up. He says he uses FL and Neuendo.Is this a good combo?
Your input is much appreciated.
Drummer
OGENIC

Wow these are a lot of questions on entirely different topics. I'll break these up in seperate threads, so they can be answered separately. You can find your questions split up in these threads:
Can rex2 files be used in other samplers?
editing sampled breaks into other patterns: wav files vs rex files
can Cool Edit Pro be used to sample from vinyl?
Nuendo and FL Studio - a good combo?

As you seem satisfied with the responses to your original question I'll close this thread before it becomes a chaos Big Grin

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
28-08-2008 10:37 Homepage of thechronic
Thread is closed
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » which modern DAW for someone who is used to trackers?