drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » editing sampled breaks into other patterns: wav files vs rex files
Go to the bottom of this page editing sampled breaks into other patterns: wav files vs rex files
Author
old skool fools with new skool tools

images/avatars/avatar-2978.gif

Registration Date: 25-08-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

One other thing, wav samples...now Before I would speed up/slow down say a break in soundstudio [1] to fit the tempo I was using or if the tempo was too far out of range cut the break into samples and reprogram a pattern.With rex2 files the samples come with information( I'm asuming) that allows the break/loop to be sped up without stretching it.
So where does the wav files fit, do they come with said information? What can I use them in, the other samplers[2]? would these be stretched?or maybe spit up into single drum hits spread over a key range?

Your input is much appreciated.
Drummer
OGENIC

edit by thechronic:
this has been split off from which modern DAW for someone who is used to trackers?

[1] Octamed Soundstudio - a tracker for the Amiga computer
[2] other samplers - meaning samplers other than Dr. Rex for Reason

__
OGENIC
Drummer
27-08-2008 15:43
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

if you use fruity it has built in beat slicer or something? some other sequencers also come with samplers capable of that

but if youre a reason user theres Recycle, a little prog outside reason which has even some cool things such as a gain compressor, not that relevant though

directly in reason, wavs can be used in nn19, nnxt and redrum. dont reckon you should use redrum at all, its cool and looks like ye olde rhythm machines but has also got very limited possibilities.. nn19 is sampler but again, not very powerful

nnxt is on the other hand the only real sampler in reason

one scenario is you can reload the same wav into a lot of slots which you can midimap to different keys. then play with sample start wiht each one, which is great for vocal editing for example

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
28-08-2008 18:27 Homepage of cynik
ogenic ogenic is a male
old skool fools with new skool tools

images/avatars/avatar-2978.gif

Registration Date: 25-08-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

GREAT! thanks alot pal Big Grin
vocals was my next concern and you answered that too!
thanks again
Drummer
OGENIC

__
OGENIC
Drummer
28-08-2008 22:03
Sentinel Sentinel is a male
Mr. Grumpy

images/avatars/avatar-2995.png

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.92

Aye and if you are after timestretching in Reason then there's a combinator patch I made for Reason 4 in that refill patch I mentioned on the other thread.

Vocals sound nice with a bit of processing, delay, reverb, chorus etc ...

If you decide to use Reason then the Combinator should and probably will become your best friend !

The limits as to what you can do/achieve with it are pretty limitless !

__

28-08-2008 22:38 Homepage of Sentinel
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
Don't reckon you should use redrum at all, its cool and looks like ye olde rhythm machines but has also got very limited possibilities.

I had a Roland TR-909 Rhythm composer for a wee while.
I found it a right pain in the arse.
Step programming each beat was just bloody time consuming and well it's easier just to chop some breaks up with Recycle or even rex files directly inside the piano roll than use old school hardware.

As much as I think analogue is fun and sounds more natural/warmer than software I think I'll stick to software due to it requires less room and the possibilities are endless and so much easier to use/learn than hardware.

__

28-08-2008 22:43 Homepage of Sentinel
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by TheSentinel
I had a Roland TR-909 Rhythm composer for a wee while.
I found it a right pain in the arse.
Step programming each beat was just bloody time consuming and well it's easier just to chop some breaks up with Recycle or even rex files directly inside the piano roll than use old school hardware.

there was a time when there was no fruity, reason or cubase, rhythm machines were the choice of electronic music, or at least live electronic.... there were trackers on old computers (amiga) but they were very slow to work with and totally unusable in live performance.. from which all the stuff u hear today became of - experimentation through live performance. every machine I came to contact with was capable of programing and tweaking and playing at the same time which is not the case with trackers.

so you see, its exactly the playing which was fun. the sole fact that there existed buttons which you press and have a beat, as is the case with a drummer you could play the beat beating the buttons without any sequencing at all. and programming was dead boring since you had to draw stuff and then press play to hear what happened. situation is different today as there are programs capable of that.

in the end it comes down to the way you work, if you do music as you would 3d graphics rendering then I guess you dont need that live element at all

__
28-08-2008 23:55 Homepage of cynik
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

I defo wouldn't survive in the live world.

I know that with old school hardware it was possible to play live rather than step programming it's just nice if you had it in a preset already rather than having to try and nail it live each time you play it.

The Korg ES1 & EA1 MKII's I had also played live or had the choice of step programming.

I think Mistabishi was using a modified version of the EA1 MKII in the 4th tutorial video you can find on youtube.

He added tube distortion to it and it sounded pretty nice.

__

29-08-2008 00:15 Homepage of Sentinel
Binary Havoc Binary Havoc is a male
Binary Havoc

images/avatars/avatar-2473.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:

there were trackers on old computers (amiga) but they were very slow to work with and totally unusable in live performance..

Not the case man, me and a mate used to play out live regularly with not 1 but 2 amiga 500's running octamed midi synced to increase the numebr of audio tracks to 8. was totally usable at the time Teeth

__
http://soundcloud.com/binaryhavoc/dropbox

29-08-2008 00:26 Homepage of Binary Havoc
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

The keyword being "at the time" !!!

HeHe.

Things move on and progress since then.
So much easier now I think - probably.

Main problem now is that the possibilities and choices are endless.
makes shit harder than when people used to work with only what they had imo.

__

29-08-2008 00:38 Homepage of Sentinel
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Binary Havoc
quote:

there were trackers on old computers (amiga) but they were very slow to work with and totally unusable in live performance..

Not the case man, me and a mate used to play out live regularly with not 1 but 2 amiga 500's running octamed midi synced to increase the numebr of audio tracks to 8. was totally usable at the time Teeth

lol that sounds ace man, and a thing I would surely flip out to seeing it being done Drummer

but that was a rare occurrence wasnt it....

__
29-08-2008 06:59 Homepage of cynik
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » editing sampled breaks into other patterns: wav files vs rex files