drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Dark and warm sounds
Go to the bottom of this page Dark and warm sounds
Author
Producer

Registration Date: 22-08-2008

Hello,

I am trying to make some drum n bass tracks and I am stuck in finding some good sounds or maybe I just don't know how to tweak them. I started listening to a lot of old school tracks on youtube and I like the simple style and how artist swiitch up their drum style. But my problem is I can't make my vst instruments sound dark,warm and full. I want them to some like those old school dnb tracks in the 90s. I just don't know where to start anymore

I have like two examples here.
The intro is just dark.

This one isnt as dark but its still kinda warm and simple
By the way what sound is that around 1:01; omg look at 4:20

I just dont know how these guys make such warm and dark synths on these records. Are they ripping samples from movies or something? I cant even make my strings sound dark and warm.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by marcusg: 19-01-2009 09:45.

19-01-2009 09:39
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

well i don't know why i am even replying.

ok, so there's somethings to remember, is that when you record something onto a record it will come out sounding better, because it smooths out the sounds.

second the godlike tool that producers use to get good sounds is called EQ, GODLIKE, you cannot over use the eq.

third, they might have sampled it from a movie but that movie made the sample using eq and all that stuff too. just the same as the producer could have just as easily.

also layering multiple sounds is how they do it. the first example you gave at the 1:01 time, there's a light string sampled with a synth playing a scale, and then a 88 kick comes in and it's got a low-pass filter on it.

so basically if you took 10 years of you life doing music you can do this stuff easy.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

19-01-2009 15:23 Homepage of Halph-Price
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

lol @ single band compression in first example, talk about pumping lol

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
19-01-2009 17:52 Homepage of thechronic
Krisch Krisch is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2727.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.33

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price

so basically if you took 10 years of you life doing music you can do this stuff easy.

Or if you need instant success you can use Songsmith Big Grin You only have to choose the style and set the mood and you are there Big Grin
19-01-2009 18:35 Homepage of Krisch
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

quote:
Originally posted by Krisch
quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price

Or if you need instant success you can use Songsmith Big Grin You only have to choose the style and set the mood and you are there Big Grin

lol Big Grin Fuck this EQing shit, Songsmith is the future.

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
19-01-2009 19:14 Homepage of Tomos
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

another way of getting a phat reece - fart n record - then process - instant winner Big Grin

but seriously mate, when it comes to creating these sounds i would suggest u get ur head around the basics of sound design, what waveforms to use etc etc, how to process them, theres a lot to know and always best to start with the basics, theres plenty of information available online to get u started Bigup

__

19-01-2009 19:23 Homepage of Ketz
Dethworm Dethworm is a male
Cymatics

images/avatars/avatar-2734.jpg

Registration Date: 11-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.33

quote:
Originally posted by marcusg
Are they ripping samples from movies or something? I cant even make my strings sound dark and warm.

no there not ripping samples from movies...there using analog equipment. Analog equipment produces sound from the literal electronic fluctuations of an oscillating circuit. I personally own a few analog synths including the arp odyssey, moog minimoog, moog little phatty and Roland Juno-106. Check the sound of those out and you will realize the infinite potential of analog. Although digital sound processing which operates on machine code representations or models of an analog circuit has provided us with a whole other realm of sonic capacity its REALLY hard to replicate the sound of a true analog synthesizer or sampler or recording medium (vinyl, tape) which is what ultimately is providing these "early" Drum n Bass tracks and most early good music with its warm, rich and authentic feel. Take for example the album Wormhole by Ed Rush & Optical, you really want to hear a warm and thick sound LISTEN TO THAT, all sampled and recorded on analog equipment in '98.

Riv

__

www.soundcloud.com/riveraccorsi
19-01-2009 19:59 Homepage of Dethworm
marcusg marcusg is a male
Producer

Man, I didn't know so much stuff is involved in making sound. I don't have much money at the moment to buy much equipment. So for a beginner,such as myself, what do you guys suggest?
19-01-2009 20:10
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2706.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

If you really have no clue about sound creation and design then it’s really time for you to start experimenting. You’ll never learn as much as you do this way. For tutorials and likewise it’s too early I guess. They’ll give you a nice addition when you get stuck later on in your learning process, the very first steps can be really done by yourself.

I don’t know what DAW you are using to make music, but just take the basic synth you’ve got that may just have 2 or 3 oscillators. Check out the controls, find out what wave form sounds in which way and what’s a cool combination out of two or three. Load up the presets it includes and try to recreate them, even though they sound cheesy and crap. Learning by doing is the way.

If you have a specific question don’t worry to ask on here, just keep it low with the basic ones they may not get answered seriously (as they are pretty annoying).
19-01-2009 20:30 Homepage of Gregg
philbee philbee is a male
Future beats for the streets

images/avatars/avatar-2742.jpg

Registration Date: 18-10-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Adding Warmth to intro atmospheres is easy using a warmer such as the vintage warmer,and it sounds like you want to get a warm dark atmospheric drone type sound,trying using google search and searching for drones,or drone atmospherics and layering the right sounds, I seem to remember battledrone putting up a sample pack of some lovely atmospherics HERE there are some really nice atmospherics and drones in there man,its a start...I might even whack a pack of my own up soon..

__
Philbee Soundcloud
19-01-2009 22:35 Homepage of philbee
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Man, I didn't know so much stuff is involved in making sound. I don't have much money at the moment to buy much equipment. So for a beginner,such as myself, what do you guys suggest?

3 words.

torrent. vst. voxengo.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

19-01-2009 23:40 Homepage of Halph-Price
marcusg marcusg is a male
Producer

Thank you guys for all of your input. I started messing around with Renoise: music tracker a little bit more got download more vsts and samples. Still didnt find what I want yet. I starting to think that really need some equipment other than software to do what I want to do, or I may lack some knowledge and don't know what I really want. Anyway thanks for the help I will just keep experimenting

Experimenting is just so time consuming lol.
20-01-2009 00:37
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

naw fuck hardware. all hardware is digital. unless you're buying an ACTUAL AUTHENTIC VINTAGE VOLTAGE SYNTH, it's just another computer with a dedicated proccessor and ram. what you would want is a I/O O/I converter (analog to digital and digital to analog converters). just run it out of the computer and re-record. back on to the computer. there you go, you just went from digital to analog.

wha ti ahve read some of them do, and it makes sense. just run it through a mix board, it converts it to voltage and back. i just use software that emulates analog.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

20-01-2009 00:56 Homepage of Halph-Price
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
Thank you guys for all of your input. I started messing around with Renoise: music tracker a little bit more got download more vsts and samples. Still didnt find what I want yet. I starting to think that really need some equipment other than software to do what I want to do, or I may lack some knowledge and don't know what I really want. Anyway thanks for the help I will just keep experimenting

Experimenting is just so time consuming lol.

Good advice: don't buy hardware if you are just starting to produce Big Grin It won't help you advance any quicker. It takes a lot of dedication to get there, if you give up after a few months you end up wasting some serious cash on stuff you're not using anymore.

Once you start getting somewhere with your skills you can think about investing. If you have a couple of months down your belt, invest in a good DAW, a good sound card and speakers.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
20-01-2009 08:28 Homepage of thechronic
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

Definitely dont buy any hardware just yet...especially synths. I know everybody has to learn somewhere but take your time to get to grips with synthesis and take full advantage of being able to use some freeware software to enable you to experiment before taking plunge and buying hardware. There's nothing worse than spending a lot of money on a piece of gear that eventually you'll realise isn't what you want Wink

With regard to warmth I agree with deathworm on this, It's hard to really get the warmth and grit you're referring to with software alone. I know there maybe some people on here who disagree, but when you've played on a Juno-6, Minimoog & Yamaha CS-80 and heard the real warmth, power and depth to the sounds that these synths produce you'll find it hard to be able to realise that level in software. Software technology is advancing at a rapid rate and digital emulations of analog circuitry are getting better and better all the time but I don't believe it'll ever be the same. Perhaps though, for most people the crisp, clear sheen that digital provides is perfect for the style of music being created - there seems to be an obsession with creating the most perfectly EQ'd, compressed & polished track to be in accordance with today's high definition era. Virtual analog, high quality samples of acoustic instruments and digital effects plugins allow this to be achieveable for the mere mortal for a very reasonable price and many well know producers of dance music are using software only. I recently watched the Benga tutorial video on Youtube and he uses a combination of Logic 5 for PC, Fruityloops & Albino 2 (probably other software too), but he was and is creating some of the most popular tunes in dubstep and everything is in software.

I think if it's this type of dance music, be it dubstep, drum & bass or whatever, you can realistically, if you're good enough, write professional sounding tracks and be signed to a label and have them released, without purchasing any hardware (aside from a midi controller and soundcard). For me personally analog sounds best when it's a bit more lo-fi, when the recording itself is analog and less polished. Not that an analog recording has to be less polished than a digital one, beacuse in a pro studio it can be, and before the introduction of digital, studios only had analog, but when it has a more raw quality to it and grit that a digitally produced drum & bass track just can never ever have. I'd love to see drum & bass tracks produced and recorded entirely in the analog domain but I just dont think there's may artists out there doing it anymore.

Anyway this is slightly off topic Tongue
20-01-2009 11:06
selig
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

Lots of the old stuff was made using old 12bit samplers as well, so it might be a good idea to use a bitcrusher to get more authentic sounds.
20-01-2009 11:14
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

bit crushers, distortions, compression, phasers, flangers, chorus, delays, all this stuff is needed. to be honest it's used subtle in most tracks, not usually 100% of the effect, in the tracks here he probeably used a bit of the flanger or chorus, with the strings, and helped give it warmth, but not enough that we can notice it.
bitcrusher helps make drums brighter, phaser, delay helps thicken up sounds. tonnes of stuff you need to play with, but learn that it's a subtle art.

if you can notice the effect being turned on or off, then that's enough. it's noticeable, even if it's just barely .

also to make it dark, just use a high shelf filter and tone down the high freq, usually starting about 5khz.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 20-01-2009 17:45.

20-01-2009 14:16 Homepage of Halph-Price
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

quote:
Originally posted by Dethworm
quote:
Are they ripping samples from movies or something? I cant even make my strings sound dark and warm.

no there not ripping samples from movies...there using analog equipment. Analog equipment produces sound from the literal electronic fluctuations of an oscillating circuit. I personally own a few analog synths including the arp odyssey, moog minimoog, moog little phatty and Roland Juno-106. Check the sound of those out and you will realize the infinite potential of analog. Although digital sound processing which operates on machine code representations or models of an analog circuit has provided us with a whole other realm of sonic capacity its REALLY hard to replicate the sound of a true analog synthesizer or sampler or recording medium (vinyl, tape) which is what ultimately is providing these "early" Drum n Bass tracks and most early good music with its warm, rich and authentic feel. Take for example the album Wormhole by Ed Rush & Optical, you really want to hear a warm and thick sound LISTEN TO THAT, all sampled and recorded on analog equipment in '98.

Riv

great reply Drummer
21-01-2009 12:27
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

PROGRESS people, we need it.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

21-01-2009 16:44 Homepage of Halph-Price
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Don't buy hardware if you don't have the money and the skills yet.
Get some freeware VST's and start to experiment A LOT and when you're done, repeat. Only when you stay at it, totally stubborn you'll reach your goal. Don't think that an expensive piece of hardware is going to give you everything you want by the press of a button.

Also check these threads:
http://www.drumnbass.be/forum/thread.php?threadid=14541
http://www.drumnbass.be/forum/thread.php?threadid=12828
http://www.drumnbass.be/forum/thread.php?threadid=12585
http://www.drumnbass.be/forum/thread.php?threadid=12458
http://www.drumnbass.be/forum/thread.php?threadid=6420

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
22-01-2009 00:17 Homepage of BattleDrone
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Dark and warm sounds