drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Mastering » Tips for doing your own mastering
Go to the bottom of this page Tips for doing your own mastering
Author
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

For a good fullness effect I use reverb and chorus. They do the whole thing warmly.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
02-08-2006 13:20 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

i thought the limiter in reason was the same as the compressor just that the limiter automatically makes up for the gain reduction in volume,(at which it does a shite job of) ? ? ? ?

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
03-08-2006 22:32
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Well, actually, a limiter is a compressor with a hard setting on it.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

-Bene Gesserit
04-08-2006 04:14 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

In Reason 3.0 they added the maximizer, wich is a pure limiter and not a compressor with near limiter settings...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

07-08-2006 12:24 Homepage of Surya
Philthy McNasty Philthy McNasty is a male
Florida DnB Masta!

images/avatars/avatar-2723.jpg

Registration Date: 23-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
24 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.00

Ok so is the reason that all my tunes have good layouts but the sound quality isnt there, is because I have to use headphones for everything that I do. I set up a set of speakers today, and heard what everyone was talking about. EX: Muddy bass, which I heard on the surround sound, but not in the headphones.

__
http://www.myspace.com/philthydubbish
16-08-2006 00:17 Homepage of Philthy McNasty
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Thread renamed.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
16-08-2006 04:24 Homepage of thechronic
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
Originally posted by Digital Cause
i thought the limiter in reason was the same as the compressor just that the limiter automatically makes up for the gain reduction in volume,(at which it does a shite job of) ? ? ? ?

No that is not the difference between a compressor and a limiter. What you are describing is known as a 'bootstrap' compressor / limiter. A normal compressor reduces the level of the loudest parts and then makes it louder by bringing up the gain by a fixed amount (=the make up gain). A bootstrap compressor keeps the level of the loudest parts at the ceiling (=maximum sound level, 0dBFS in digital) and brings up the level of the quieter parts. It is actually an inverse expander Smile A bootstrap comp does not work well with all kinds of signals, it works best on sources which don't have too much dynamic to start with, so it is easier to determine the level of the ceiling. That is probably why you think it does a shitty job Big Grin

The difference between a compressor and a limiter is what Muad'dib says. A limiter is a compressor with a very high ratio (10:1 up to infinity:1) and a very short attack time. You can set up most 'normal' compressors to work as a limiter by putting a high ratio and a short attack time.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
16-08-2006 04:36 Homepage of thechronic
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
The difference between a compressor and a limiter is what Muad'dib says. A limiter is a compressor with a very high ratio (10:1 up to infinity:1) and a very short attack time. You can set up most 'normal' compressors to work as a limiter by putting a high ratio and a short attack time.

And also, to add, the treshold is little below 0dB.

__

-Bene Gesserit
16-08-2006 13:44 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
Most important thing for mastering: good speakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

indeed , and thats something im missing...
about EQing:

Most important things of producing are : talent/originality/eq,master...
this is for instant eq (eq for each sound ->sub , bass , kick , snare , sounds , highhats , etc... the more appart channels you choose for it , the better)

best eq'er in FL6 is the...

EQUO - Morphing Graphic Equalizer

EQUO is an advanced morphing graphic equalizer plugin. EQUO is particularly suited to live or automated tweaking during a performance. The main display contains both the EQ (VOL) and EQ (PAN) controls so that sounds can not only be shaped according to frequency content, but panning can be applied on specific frequency basis. Further, One Master EQ shape and then a further 8 separate EQ/PAN shapes may be set and then these EQ shapes can be smoothly morphed using the Morph knob. An alternative to EQUO is Fruity Parametric EQ.

the handiest thing on it is the:

Analyze - When the Analyze button is held, EQUO will average the frequency spectrum of the incoming signal (over the duration the button is held) and upon release create an EQ curve antagonistic to that signal. The interaction of the analyzed curve can be varied from antagonistic (cut) though to complimentary (boost) with the MIX knob. NOTE: Bands 40 Hz and below are not included in the 'Analyze' function as they 'muddy' the mix, set them manually if you require sub-bass EQ.

now i just hope you know what boost/cut frequenties is... Tongue

greetz
06-09-2006 10:01
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

quote:
Originally posted by iKoN
Ok so is the reason that all my tunes have good layouts but the sound quality isnt there, is because I have to use headphones for everything that I do. I set up a set of speakers today, and heard what everyone was talking about. EX: Muddy bass, which I heard on the surround sound, but not in the headphones.

i had the same problem like you , and still no better speakers.

-trust the db meter- Tongue
06-09-2006 10:04
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Mastering » Tips for doing your own mastering