drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Question & answer session with Gein
Go to the bottom of this page Question & answer session with Gein 4 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

After our Q&A with Limewax next one up is Gein.
These 3 talented guys might not be as wellknown just yet, but expect big things from them in the neir future!
They've got releases on Habit, Freak, Tech Itch, Moving Shawow and Evol Intent recordings. Be sure to watch out for the following releases

Gein - Street Sweeper EP (MSXEP040)
Gein - Hate / Father of lies (Freak017)
Gein & Bitfiend - Telepathy / Gein - Hell (forthcoming Habit)
Gein - Pirates, Plungers and Three Ways EP (forthcoming Freak)

Anyway. They're good, they're nice, they're from the USA and they're willing to aswer all your questions about producing you might have for them. Again: don't swamp them with questions. This session will run for about a week, I'll notify when it is over.

Some extra info you might be intrested in:

BOOKINGS:

For Worldwide booking inquiries, please contact:
Robyn Hilsley
Anger Management
Tel: +44(0)7949 319 721
Email: Angermanagementuk@btinternet.Com
Web: www.angeruk.net
AIM: AngerFreaks

For USA booking inquiries, please contact:
Ashley Collier
Incognito Artist Management LLC
Ph: 202.421.6633
Fax: 202.204.4864
ashley@incognitoagency.com
www.incognitoagency.com - coming soon!
AIM - incognitoagency or ashleygrrlie02[/quote]

saintGEIN: AIM - habitrecordings / saintGEIN : Email - info@habitrecordings.com
abelGEIN: AIM - abelGEIN : Email - kancerboi@hotmail.com
butcherGEIN: AIM - butcherGEIN : Email - westonwashere@gmail.com

Websites:
GEIN: http://www.myspace.com/gein1
butcherGEIN: http://www.myspace.com/butcherGEIN

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

06-03-2006 08:05 Homepage of Surya
jemone jemone is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2132.jpg

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

hi there, welcome
can you tell us what processs you go through when writing a track, what software you use, and if theres any one way youve found that works the best for you, also is there any hints or tips you can give on arrangement to keep things rolling but urgent.
cheers
jem one. Big Grin
06-03-2006 09:49
gein
Producer

Registration Date: 22-02-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by jemone
hi there, welcome
can you tell us what processs you go through when writing a track, what software you use, and if theres any one way youve found that works the best for you, also is there any hints or tips you can give on arrangement to keep things rolling but urgent.
cheers
jem one. Big Grin

Thanks for the welcome!

Here's our setup:

Dell 1500mhz crap PC with dual monitor (not even matching size lol)
Delta 44
Event PS8s
Emu E6400 Ultra
Logic 5.5.1
Wavelab 4.0
Recycle 2.0

hopefully soon we'll have a mixing desk...

As far as processes... you're going to have to be more specific. There are many processes involved...

Typically we'll start by spending a whole day in a blank dedicated project file making breaks.

For drums, we usually take a break and import it into an audio track. Personally we feel this is the best method for making your drums have the natural funk of the drummer who played it. That is of HUGE importance unless you are looking for a sound that is robotic and heavily quantized.

Then we'll spend a little time finding / cleaning up backup kicks and snares that really hit hard so they accent the kick and snare of the break in the background. Compress, layer and EQ to your liking so that it melds and sounds like a natural part of the break. Now bounce that break you made out to a single audio file. Repeat until you have enough breaks.

Drop these into a clean project file and start there. Figure out a bassline, figure out some pads, find a decent hook to give your tune a sense of identity.

A good way to keep your tunes interesting as far as arrangement is concerned is to write all your basslines so that they don't always play the exact same notes, same in most places but with small one or two note variations. Some parts should be a little different, then have one or two major changeups in the whole tune just to smash the people listening with something they weren't expecting.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by gein: 06-03-2006 11:58.

06-03-2006 11:56
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

So apart from the Emu, you don't use any external hardware? No hardware synths?
Do you use any synths, or do you work samplebased, just like Limewax and Noisia?

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

06-03-2006 12:24 Homepage of Surya
equipped equipped is a male
tired

images/avatars/avatar-2339.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
22 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.23

cheers for doin this "Gein"!!,... and a huge up to the mighty .be's for gettin this shit together,...massive treat's all round! Drummer ,...
huge candy is one of many privligez this site throw's,...dirty . be's ya'll kick some serious bum for pullin this shit off....my Question's are on the go... Big Grin

__
Space

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by equipped: 06-03-2006 13:10.

06-03-2006 13:08
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

what was used to make the reese in Onslaught? Devil

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
06-03-2006 13:13 Homepage of Friscko
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Hello and welcome to our site! Bigup
When I saw that you had releases for Moving Shadow, I became instantly aroused! Big Grin

Anyway, I have a question for you:
can you recomend a default bassline sound for different types of dnb (say, liquid funk, darkstep, techstep) and the default melodies?
Do the melodies follow a strict note scale composition, or they can be diverse and not 'in line'?

Thanx and peace
Muad'Dib

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
06-03-2006 16:37 Homepage of Muad'Dib
gein
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
So apart from the Emu, you don't use any external hardware? No hardware synths?
Do you use any synths, or do you work samplebased, just like Limewax and Noisia?

No external hardware except the emu. Primarily sample based. Sometimes we'll use synths for sounds. Really we get a lot of our sounds from movies. Just listen to the spots where it's quiet beneath the sound you want.
06-03-2006 19:55
gein
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Friscko
what was used to make the reese in Onslaught? Devil

That entire EP was written using nothing but logic native plugins. We didn't even have the emu then.

I loaded a bass sample into exs24 and looped it. Put some distortion and EQ on it.
06-03-2006 19:58
gein
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
Hello and welcome to our site! Bigup
When I saw that you had releases for Moving Shadow, I became instantly aroused! Big Grin

Anyway, I have a question for you:
can you recomend a default bassline sound for different types of dnb (say, liquid funk, darkstep, techstep) and the default melodies?
Do the melodies follow a strict note scale composition, or they can be diverse and not 'in line'?

Thanx and peace
Muad'Dib

Honestly, I (butcherGEIN and btw I'm the one answering these questions) personally feel that it's important to stay away from default sounds. Craft each sound within your tune to fit a specific purpose and have an idea of what you want it to sond like beforehand.

I think it's pretty important to have a scale to operate in and knowledge of what keys workd with what. Then again sometimes just running on a single note is good too. It depends on the sound really. It also depends on the song itself.
06-03-2006 20:02
jemone jemone is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2132.jpg

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Just listen to the spots where it's quiet beneath the sound you want.

can you elaborate for me Tongue , i can be a bit slow Big Grin , do you use these sounds for lead lines etc, or atmospherics and detail.
cheers mate Drummer
06-03-2006 20:12
arsenic

Registration Date: 06-03-2006

how'd you guys get that wicked bass in "Bitch"?
06-03-2006 21:09
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

Hi, Wicked to have u on the site man

I was wondering have any of you done production or engineering courses along with having the natural talent/ability to j learn to produce??

I personally I've learnt everything i know through trial and error, and have decided to enroll in a music production course coz i love what i do so much i want to be safe in the knowledge i'm giving myself as much help as possible.
sorry for going on Big Grin

What i mean is, LONGTERM - is it better to have taken a course at some point with regards to producing or isn't it essential.

...not an urgent question really , but still i'm curious.

Thanks for your time Drummer

Glim

__
My Sounds
07-03-2006 01:56
anf0 D anf0 D is a male
CXNT

images/avatars/avatar-1601.jpg

Registration Date: 31-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
16 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

GEIN!!!! Devil

mad cunts

street sweeper... that shit rocks it hard... awesome work Tongue

i dunno know what to ask. Shocked

__
[R] CentaSpike :: Tracks

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by anf0 D: 07-03-2006 04:00.

07-03-2006 04:00 Homepage of anf0 D
gein
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by arsenic

This one guy named jimmy who totally sucks at producing happened to stumble upon it in this crap program named buzz. Big Grin

hi jimmy
07-03-2006 05:04
gein
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Glim
Hi, Wicked to have u on the site man

I was wondering have any of you done production or engineering courses along with having the natural talent/ability to j learn to produce??

I personally I've learnt everything i know through trial and error, and have decided to enroll in a music production course coz i love what i do so much i want to be safe in the knowledge i'm giving myself as much help as possible.
sorry for going on Big Grin

What i mean is, LONGTERM - is it better to have taken a course at some point with regards to producing or isn't it essential.

...not an urgent question really , but still i'm curious.

Thanks for your time Drummer

Glim

To be honest, I never sat in a single engineering course in my life. There are a few tricks I picked up from others but the rest of it was all self taught.
07-03-2006 05:07
mute

Registration Date: 07-03-2006

just to follow up on what you say about breaks, do you mean that the original break you lay down in audio is unchopped and all the drum hits layered on top of that are made to fit with that break? rather than chopping the break up and quantising it... sounds like an interesting way to do it

cheers Cool
07-03-2006 05:46
gein
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by mute
just to follow up on what you say about breaks, do you mean that the original break you lay down in audio is unchopped and all the drum hits layered on top of that are made to fit with that break? rather than chopping the break up and quantising it... sounds like an interesting way to do it

cheers Cool

precisely Big Grin
07-03-2006 05:52
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by gein
quote:
Originally posted by arsenic

This one guy named jimmy who totally sucks at producing happened to stumble upon it in this crap program named buzz. Big Grin

hi jimmy

Lol Big Grin I used buzz until 16 months ago Smile

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

07-03-2006 07:17 Homepage of Surya
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Oh yeah, a question you'll see me poppin in the next Q&A's too: any tips on making your own tramens?

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

07-03-2006 07:28 Homepage of Surya
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Question & answer session with Gein