drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Question & answer session with Limewax
Go to the bottom of this page Question & answer session with Limewax 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Hello fellow producers. We have a special treat for you. We have organised a Q&A with none less that the always fresh but always brutal sounding Limewax. He will answer any questions you might have for him.
A few rules not to swamp him (he's got other things to do than answer you questions. Like making insane music):
- Max two questions per user at the time
- This is about producing, keep it about that
- He might not answer all questions asked. Don't bug him, he'll asnwer any questions he finds intresting enough.
- The session will run for a few days, according to the time he finds to do it. I'll notify when the session is over.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

14-02-2006 14:30 Homepage of Surya
@1$-)
unregistered
ok heres an easy one......what set up you using? specifically what soft/hardware and why?
14-02-2006 15:38
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Ok, big Bigup up to Limewax for doing this Q&A - I hope he likes this site Big Grin
Bigup to you too Surya, for organising the whole thing!

Anyway, this is my question: I have problems with synthetising a phat reece. I can make perfect reece by layering two different types of basses (one distorted and one full low phat) but I would like to know how to synthetise my own phat reece tthat would not sound boring and that I can use Big Grin

So can you tell me how to do that, or how YOU do it?

PS I ues FL studio and I have Sytrus and various other plugins.

Thanx
peace,
Muad'Dib

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
14-02-2006 16:53 Homepage of Muad'Dib
fogga
Steppa

Registration Date: 23-10-2005

How do you personally get your beats sounding tight and flowing, also what do you use to make them?
14-02-2006 17:31
jemone jemone is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2132.jpg

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

can you tell me, do you use old sampled breakbeats, or do you create your own, and if so what processing do you put your breaks through, thankyou. Drummer
14-02-2006 17:43
LIMEWAX
Producer

Registration Date: 14-02-2006

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
ok heres an easy one......what set up you using? specifically what soft/hardware and why?

Acid 5.0 pro, Soundforge 8.0, Reason 3.0, Emu 0404 Soundcard, Edirol PCR-M30 midi keabord, Yamaha msp5 monitors.
14-02-2006 17:57
Peel Peel is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-1344.jpg

Registration Date: 20-07-2005

thanks for putting this up guys Bigup

What did you listen to before you even knew drum n bass existed? Are there other genres you're into apart from dnb?

__

Peeled November 2006 Mix
14-02-2006 18:04 Homepage of Peel
LIMEWAX
Producer

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
Ok, big Bigup up to Limewax for doing this Q&A - I hope he likes this site Big Grin
Bigup to you too Surya, for organising the whole thing!

Anyway, this is my question: I have problems with synthetising a phat reece. I can make perfect reece by layering two different types of basses (one distorted and one full low phat) but I would like to know how to synthetise my own phat reece tthat would not sound boring and that I can use Big Grin

So can you tell me how to do that, or how YOU do it?

PS I ues FL studio and I have Sytrus and various other plugins.

Thanx
peace,
Muad'Dib

Its all about the eq's. first try to get it sound nice without distortion, make sure that both pitches are equal unless u want it to phase. try out some diffrent chains.
14-02-2006 18:07
LIMEWAX
Producer

quote:
Originally posted by fogga
How do you personally get your beats sounding tight and flowing, also what do you use to make them?

difine your own punch..i personly like the punch in techno and hardstyle beats.. make your beats very loud Wink
14-02-2006 18:10
LIMEWAX
Producer

quote:
Originally posted by jemone
can you tell me, do you use old sampled breakbeats, or do you create your own, and if so what processing do you put your breaks through, thankyou. Drummer

it realy depends on the break.. if u take a live break than u can do some cool stuff with timestretching and pitch, get it nice dry, dont layer too much tho unless u sure about the eq's.. 2 breaks can be enough with the right processing, i use all my software i have for the breaks.. see above,
14-02-2006 18:16
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by LIMEWAX
quote:

difine your own punch..i personly like the punch in techno and hardstyle beats.. make your beats very loud Wink

Yeah, I noticed your beats are mostly quite punchy yet raw. What elements do you combine to get this unique feel to them? A lot of other producers make them just punchy (like Pendulum Roll Eyes ) or very raw with no punch (lets say like Leon Switch). Do you layer, and if so, what do you layer and in what way do you compress all of this?

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

14-02-2006 18:16 Homepage of Surya
LIMEWAX
Producer

quote:
Originally posted by Peel
thanks for putting this up guys Bigup

What did you listen to before you even knew drum n bass existed? Are there other genres you're into apart from dnb?

mostly classical, triphop and ambient,nowadays im into all sorts of music.. if its got a nice melody and or vibe then im happy with it.
14-02-2006 18:22
LIMEWAX
Producer

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
quote:
quote:

Yeah, I noticed your beats are mostly quite punchy yet raw. What elements do you combine to get this unique feel to them? A lot of other producers make them just punchy (like Pendulum Roll Eyes ) or very raw with no punch (lets say like Leon Switch). Do you layer, and if so, what do you layer and in what way do you compress all of this?

Mostly just kicks, u can layer small kicks pitched op on the snares, if u think u have to much punch try distoring the whole break and clean it up again. but as i sayd the hardstyle-techno punch is great!!!
14-02-2006 18:31
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

do you do any synthesizing in Reason (Malstrom, Subtractor) ?

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
14-02-2006 18:41 Homepage of cynik
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:

Mostly just kicks, u can layer small kicks pitched op on the snares, if u think u have to much punch try distoring the whole break and clean it up again. but as i sayd the hardstyle-techno punch is great!!!

Ah, tnx for the pointer. Until now I mostly used lowpassed punchy snare samples, but I didn't get that same feel...

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

14-02-2006 18:41 Homepage of Surya
LIMEWAX
Producer

quote:
Originally posted by cynik

No, cant get the right sound out of it.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by LIMEWAX: 14-02-2006 18:43.

14-02-2006 18:42
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:

No, cant get the right sound from there.

So you do everything sample based, like Noisia (and like me Smile )?

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

14-02-2006 18:43 Homepage of Surya
LIMEWAX
Producer

quote:
quote:
quote:

yeah most of the time.
14-02-2006 18:51
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

Theres been lots of debates of whether or not the access virus is worth using anymore cause of so many softwares out theres, and its almost just as easy to create your own sounds...

If youre using hardware other than your midi, and your monitors, what hardsynths are you using...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

14-02-2006 19:50
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

yeah most of the time.

and the synth used in Ritual Station, is that a sample? If so, it's one hell of a wicked sample

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Friscko: 14-02-2006 19:52.

14-02-2006 19:51 Homepage of Friscko
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Question & answer session with Limewax