drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How to make a reece (was: basic question alert)
Go to the bottom of this page How to make a reece (was: basic question alert)
Author
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2132.jpg

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

yo yo yo
alright fellas, i know this has been posted before somewhere many times, but i cant find it, but can anyonetell me how to make a reese, ive got albino and v station which i use mostly for basses, also how can i get that movement and warp in the bass.
sorry for the basic thread cheers
Tongue
jemone.
27-02-2006 10:28
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Basic technique is simpel:
- Take two saw waves
- Detune one up a few cents, the other one a few cents down
- Lowpass
- Distort

The big trouble is getting the distortion right...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

27-02-2006 10:34 Homepage of Surya
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

for movement try one or more lfo's on the filter. if you split your bass into different frequency ranges, you can apply additional (filter) modulation on each frequency range to give it a morphing character

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by cynik: 27-02-2006 12:13.

27-02-2006 12:12 Homepage of cynik
chomp chomp is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1614.gif

Registration Date: 06-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

what's a reece, i ve seen many post where you talk about that, can you share a sample of this Confused

__
Devil soundcloud.com/machette Devil
27-02-2006 16:59 Homepage of chomp
Aron
unregistered
to fill up the sound use chorus (maybe also Flanger) and unison . with lots of detune.
in the end you could try some reverb.
27-02-2006 17:16
baz baz is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1379.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
23 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.96

quote:
Originally posted by jnf
what's a reece, i ve seen many post where you talk about that, can you share a sample of this Confused

lol here's what i've been told
2 basslineslayered with each other
one should be a deep bass an the other high an disorted
but i decided to not give a fuck bout what a reece is nowadays an just do ma thing Big Grin

__
"shotgun ; slammin in yo chestpiece ; blaw"

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by baz: 27-02-2006 18:15.

27-02-2006 18:15 Homepage of baz
chomp chomp is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1614.gif

Registration Date: 06-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

Huh
i understand what it is when i'll hear one Drummer
i was thinking it was a kind of bass, like bobble or krumble....
thx for the info

__
Devil soundcloud.com/machette Devil
27-02-2006 20:02 Homepage of chomp
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

quote:
Originally posted by baz
quote:
Originally posted by jnf

but i decided to not give a fuck bout what a reece is nowadays an just do ma thing Big Grin

Well said that man. Reeces are/where cool. But to be honest. there are a million other potential bass tones out there. Why waste your time trying to get a particular one?

Anyway, so you know, you need at least a 2 oscilator synth to make them. Set a saw wave on each oscillator. Next detune them very slightly, make one slightly sharp and the other slightly flat. Put them through a lowpass filter with the resonance up a bit. Finally distotion and EQ. Be careful not to take all the mid out. It does make the tone more saturated, but you'll loose all the main grunt of the synth. Sometimes its worth backing it up with a sine wave. But as I already said. Find another bass tone, one that hasnt been used yet a million times.
27-02-2006 22:25
PEAHEAD
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1473.jpg

Registration Date: 27-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

quote:
Originally posted by TechDiff
quote:
Originally posted by baz
quote:
Originally posted by jnf

Well said that man. Reeces are/where cool. But to be honest. there are a million other potential bass tones out there. Why waste your time trying to get a particular one?

Anyway, so you know, you need at least a 2 oscilator synth to make them. Set a saw wave on each oscillator. Next detune them very slightly, make one slightly sharp and the other slightly flat. Put them through a lowpass filter with the resonance up a bit. Finally distotion and EQ. Be careful not to take all the mid out. It does make the tone more saturated, but you'll loose all the main grunt of the synth. Sometimes its worth backing it up with a sine wave. But as I already said. Find another bass tone, one that hasnt been used yet a million times.

ohhh reeces. i fukin love em there the ruffest dirtyest sounds u can get.

easy as fuk instructions.(fruity)
3xOsc + 2 saws and mabye a sine
turn all crose knobs right down then the magic bit
DETUNE MASSIVE. i find the trick is. slower you move the knobs the easier u wil find the sound you want.

then the sinewave sometimes i put a prelongd attack on this so it plays the reece with a slightly delayed sub bass.

add some effects like
Chorus -preset FATCLEAN. turn volume of chorus to aboput 20-30
mabnye add a phazer or a flanger to get that moving sounds. so the reece dosent say in 1 place. its coming from behind the side and so on

then the best part DISTORTION. there are various ways and tools to do this. but i find MDA bandisto works alrite. mabye try a tube distortion (neva tried tht mind you cuz i ent got 1)

then eq massive. cut below 20Hz to remove the unherable sounds. then boost about 50-70Hz for the sub bass and eq the mids (exact hertz diffrent for evry sound. then u have ur self 1 reece
oh and mabye add a bit ov reverb last it will make the sound fill out more.

then if you get a bit more clever try makin a reece on z3ta with 6oscs OHHHH THTS MY MISSION NEWAYS
28-02-2006 16:10
TechDiff

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by PEAHEAD
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by baz
quote:
Originally posted by jnf

then if you get a bit more clever try makin a reece on z3ta with 6oscs OHHHH THTS MY MISSION NEWAYS

LOL!!!! Not to be harsh dude, but a reece is by no means the ruffest, dirtiest sound you can get, it just depends on how nasty you like things.

As for the z3ta thing. Hows about getting yourself a copy of Reaktor and making a synth with 100 oscillators, now THATS a Reece gone bad. Completely pointless exersise though. I expect that there is a point where the variations in pitch loose the effect when youve got a lot of oscillators going at once. So many modulating pitches that you'd just end up with a blurred note rather than a phasing one.
28-02-2006 17:47
PEAHEAD
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by baz
quote:
Originally posted by jnf

LOL!!!! Not to be harsh dude, but a reece is by no means the ruffest, dirtiest sound you can get, it just depends on how nasty you like things.

As for the z3ta thing. Hows about getting yourself a copy of Reaktor and making a synth with 100 oscillators, now THATS a Reece gone bad. Completely pointless exersise though. I expect that there is a point where the variations in pitch loose the effect when youve got a lot of oscillators going at once. So many modulating pitches that you'd just end up with a blurred note rather than a phasing one.

100oscillators oh my god i need to start usin reaktor then. ive had it for a while now not reali done anyfin with it tho. wel i say not done NOTHING WITH IT. i need to lern the basics

ne1 wana explain
28-02-2006 17:52
baz baz is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1379.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
23 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.96

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by baz
quote:
Originally posted by jnf

dude u really need to explain me reaktor once Huh

__
"shotgun ; slammin in yo chestpiece ; blaw"
28-02-2006 18:02 Homepage of baz
PEAHEAD
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

yeah i think u need to explain to me 2. because i ent even got a clue how to make reaktor make a sound
28-02-2006 18:45
TechDiff

Helpfulness rating: 

Alright, the absolute basics. I'll try to talk you through the first steps, and the you should be able to work other things out for yourself.

First you will need:

a sine oscillator,

an envelope generator (ADSR)

a pitch input (right click on structure background/midi/pitch)

a gate input (right click on structure background/midi/gate)

Start with the oscillator, it should have 2 inputs on the right hand side. One is labeled P, and the other A or G, (cant remember, and the computer is stictly internet)

The P input is for pitch. It takes a numerical number which in turn tells what note the oscillator to play. Its similar to the control voltages used in old modular synths.

The G or A input stands for either gate or Amplitude. The gate is a simple on/off function. When a value or 0 is entered the gate is off/closed. When a value above 0 is entered the gate is open/on.

Connect the midi pitch input to the oscilator.

Connect the midi gate to the G input on the ADSR.

connect the output from the ADSR to the A (or G) input on the oscilator

Now right click on each of the inputs on the right hand side of the ADSR and go to "create control" This will give you four knobs called "Attack" "Decay" "Sustain" and "release".

Finally connect the output from the oscillator to the inputs 1 and 2 on the large output mixer on the right hand side of the ensemble.

What this is doing is the pitch input is telling the oscillator what note to play. The gate input is telling the ADSR when you've pressed a key, this in turn is controlling the volume of the oscillator.

You can connect multiple oscillators in the same way, but you need to combine the outputs. To do this right click on the ensemble background, select maths, and choose audio +. If you double click on this you can choose how many inputs you want.

If you want to detune the oscillators. Create an event + in the same way as the audio plus. Connect the pitch input to one input of the event +. And right click on the other input and create control. You use this to add or subtract a value from the pitch value goining in to the oscillator. You can adjust the range of the detune by right clicking on the knob and going to properties.

finally, you adjust the apperance of you instrument by right clicking on the background and selecting Panel. This is the visual representation of your instrument. You can move the knobs round and change th colours to make it look pretty.

Pheew. I think thats pretty much it, sorry if its a bit confusing, but its kinda difficult to put into words, but the basics are here and hopefully you'll have enough information to go much further. As I said before, its difficult to explain it all without a version of Reaktor in front of me. Alos things differ slightly between different versions.
Anyway, good luck!!!
28-02-2006 22:05
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

quote:
Originally posted by jnf

Well, Bad Company's - Planet Dust pretty much kicked off the hype surrounding the topic 'reece'.

An ancient track with a reece that many still try and copy, ( an come nowhere close!!!!!)

I am very sure you've heard tracks containing reece's many times over, its just putting a term to the sound which is the way it goes for us ametuer's!!!!!! lol

i think theres lots of site with definitions for musical/ production terms.

google it an see wot comes up bro

peace..

__
My Sounds
01-03-2006 04:37
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How to make a reece (was: basic question alert)