drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » Quick FLStudio CPU Tip...
Go to the bottom of this page Quick FLStudio CPU Tip...
Author
Sponsor

Registration Date: 01-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

ez..

Just noticed you can cut CPU usage a fair bit by closing all the windows! [Press F12]

You can have the Playlist/Step Sequencer/Mixer windows open, but by closing all the fx and vst windows, CPU usage drops lots - probably due to all the flashing lights and stuff. Pretty obvious really, but I had about 30 open windows sitting behind my playlist.

sorry if this is a repost btw...

Peace.

edit: ha - repost! Just seen this mentioned about 4 posts down. Shit, It's 2.30am and I've been working on tunes since 10am yesterday. Bed. Huh

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by wTrouble: 12-02-2006 19:27.

12-02-2006 19:23
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Nice stuff. Thanx!

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
14-02-2006 09:31 Homepage of Muad'Dib
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

You can also save CPU energy if you set all the effects to "smart disable". This means that theyre only on when theyre needed rather than staying on through the whole track. I expect everyone knows this, but I figured that if theres a thread about closing windows to save CPU, then there might be some who havent figured this out yet.
14-02-2006 14:09
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

That is in my sig if you happen to look at it Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

-Bene Gesserit
15-02-2006 01:42 Homepage of Muad'Dib
TechDiff

Helpfulness rating: 

Oh yeah, ah well.
15-02-2006 14:59
optikal_assassin optikal_assassin is a male
|da jungle snipa|

images/avatars/avatar-3214.jpg

Registration Date: 18-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Just thought I'd add to this. Tongue

You can help save CPU by disabling MIDI output as well under the options tab. I've actually tried this and it helped some, but nothing drastic. Also supposedly trimming any excess silence in WAV samples helps reduce CPU usage cuz even though you can't hear it it's still trying to process that part. I guess FL automatically cuts off the sample processing though at absolute zero. Just my input.

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace
17-02-2006 13:17
chomp chomp is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1614.gif

Registration Date: 06-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

quote:
Originally posted by TechDiff
You can also save CPU energy if you set all the effects to "smart disable". This means that theyre only on when theyre needed rather than staying on through the whole track. I expect everyone knows this, but I figured that if theres a thread about closing windows to save CPU, then there might be some who havent figured this out yet.

oooooooo, hi hi I did not know that this option made it possible to do that i don't remember where is the box to check, can you show me by a screen shot please ?

__
Devil soundcloud.com/machette Devil
20-02-2006 11:59 Homepage of chomp
TechDiff

Helpfulness rating: 

If you open up your FX window, Theres is a small plug in the top left corner. Click on this and it'll give you a drop down menu. "Smart disable" will be in here. Sorry but a screen shot would be difficult since I use a different computer for the internet.
The only problem with the smart disable is that it can sometimes switch off delays and reverbs before theyre fully faded out, so its best to leave these on. You can do this by brining up the menu for the individual effect and unchecking the samrt disable function.
20-02-2006 14:44
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

Tools -> misc macros -> switch smart disable for all fx

then just turn it off on delay's (i leave em on on reeverbs, 'cus they consume too much cpu imo)

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
20-02-2006 17:09 Homepage of Friscko
optikal_assassin optikal_assassin is a male
|da jungle snipa|

images/avatars/avatar-3214.jpg

Registration Date: 18-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Friscko
Tools -> misc macros -> switch smart disable for all fx

then just turn it off on delay's (i leave em on on reeverbs, 'cus they consume too much cpu imo)

actually, i kinda found this out but you need to watch with them delays if you decide to use the "smart disable". it can cause problems if you decide to do a really long delay. for example this one project i was working on sometime ago i needed to do a really long delay, over 4 bars, and for some damned reason i noticed the delay would just cut out right at the end of the 4th bar going into the next one. of course this posed a problem cuz it was way obvious and dicked it all up. sounds stupid and simple but it turned out it was because i had "smart disable" enabled for the delay 2. i think it only processes effects for 4 bars then cuts it, unless you leave "smart disable" off. it's not very obvious to some i guess, i even did a serious search on why that would happen but ended up i had to figure it out on my own. so moral of the story, most of the time enabling the "smart disable" is good for cpu usage, but it may cause problems as well.

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace
21-02-2006 06:10
TechDiff

Helpfulness rating: 

It only really cause problems with delay and reverbs. I think it works on whether there is an input signal, and if not then it cuts out after a short while. But you dont have to have smart disable set on every effect you use. You can turn then Off/on individualy on the menu where you choose to load up an effect. But Ive only ever had the cutting out thing with delays and reverbs. Everything else shouldnt me making a sound without an input signal anyway.

As for the misc macros thing, I dont think all versions have this. I used to use 3.56 and it did but Im on a more recent version now and it doesnt. You have to do it in the FX mixer. I wonder if it would be possible to do the same with VSTi's. When Im using reaktor, if Im working on a section which doesnt have any reaktor stuff going on, I switch the cpu usage off in reaktor to give more headroom for what Im doing. It'd be cool if you could do the same thing with the fruity wrapper, switch off synths when your not using them in a particular section.
21-02-2006 15:03
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Well, I have no problems with whatever plug I put smart disable on. Strange.... Confused

__

-Bene Gesserit
21-02-2006 16:57 Homepage of Muad'Dib
TechDiff

Helpfulness rating: 

Have you tried just using a really long reverb or delay, one that seems to go on forever. It wouldnt affect anything if its only a reletively short decay.
21-02-2006 17:20
chomp chomp is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1614.gif

Registration Date: 06-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

thx, i finally find the option.

__
Devil soundcloud.com/machette Devil
24-02-2006 23:13 Homepage of chomp
gls
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

Another good tip is to turn off the channels' activity meters. Options/General settings/Show channel activity meters.
10-03-2006 12:49
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » Quick FLStudio CPU Tip...