Go to the bottom of this page no monitors
Author
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2132.jpg

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

hi,
can you tell me is it a major problem me not having monitors to do mix, im currently using headphones and sony speakers, i know this aint ideal, but is there any tips on mixing this way.
also can anyone tell me what saturation is please, ie, to saturate a bassline etc, also could you explain what sidechaining is, i take it its a way of stacking effects maybee?, if so i tend to use inserts and sends is this ok. and finally ive added a bassline to a track, ive added compression to the drums and the bass, but it sound very muddy, and the bass dont seem to stand out, ive used a patch on the pro 52, and doubled up with one from the lizzard 2, but it dont sound right, any good vst for basslines, free if poss or any way of making a good bass tone.
again any help would be great.
peace
jemone.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jemone: 05-02-2006 21:33.

05-02-2006 21:29
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

quote:
Originally posted by jemone
1)not having monitors
2)saturation

1) No prob, neither have I
2) Form of distortion
and sidechaining, i'm not sure my definition of that is very correct, but it's got something to do with using samples/vst's as an on/off switch for an effect, if i'm not mistaken

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
05-02-2006 21:57 Homepage of Friscko
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I) About the monitors thing: burn a tune on a CD that you made, in which you included all kinds of different sounds you managed to put together, and then play it elsewhere ( I recommend a good quality HI-FI sound system, or ever a monitoring studio) and notice how it sounds. Then, remember which frequencies were too low, too muddy etc. and take a GOOD CARE of them! You will know how, approx. will you tune sound on aquality system if you take regards to this.

II) Saturation: a kind of distortion. Don't know the exact details, but I think Surya can help you with this.

III) Sidechaining - I really have little or no idea what this is. I think it is triggering a compressor by some signal from outside, so it passes beside the compressor, something like that. But I think it is answered somewhere on this forum, try browsing a little.

IV) It is ok to use fx and sens, you are supposed to, actually Big Grin

V) Don't add compression if you don't know MUCH about it Wink Compressors can make your mix sound phat and full, but if you don't know how to use it, it can destroy the whole tune (which it did, because your drums and everything sounds muddy) Big Grin

VI) About the making a good bass tone: go in this thread DnB bass VST instruments

At last, you SHOULD visit this thread Tutorials / Knowledge base thread (read all production related informations here!) where millions and millions of questions have already been answered. Visit it, read piece by piece, and you will become an expert of the thing, so to speak! Bigup

Peace,
Muad'Dib

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
05-02-2006 23:36 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Sidechaining: using a signal, other than the one you're compressing, to drive the compressor. E.g. you want the volume of the bassline to drop with every kick. You run the bassline through the compressor as you would normally. Then put the kick on the sidechain input of the compressor. Now the compressor will compress when the volume of the kick is above the treshold, not when the volume of the bassline is above the treshold.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

06-02-2006 07:40 Homepage of Surya
jemone jemone is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2132.jpg

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

cheers lads , thanks for the advice as always.
jem Big Grin Bigup
06-02-2006 21:17
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » no monitors