drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Mastering » What is mastering?
Go to the bottom of this page What is mastering?
Author
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

quote:
Originally posted by chili banks
Oh this thread once again proves that mastering is an elusive art. Honestly internet star Producers, STFU instead of giving mis-information; you're helping no one.
thechronic, you need an education.

yeah, fuck thechronic. Shocked

(oh shit i am on a new page)

I mean, thechronic has worked more gigs professionally then you have done in your basement of your mommas house. he can master. i have heard his demos. there solid.

Halph-Price has attached this image (reduced version):
4067.jpeg

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 07-02-2009 16:35.

07-02-2009 15:48 Homepage of Halph-Price
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

That remark was a bit uncalled for, my education was perfectly fine thank you very much. And I'm sorry if my answer didn't help you Big Grin And thanks for the support guys, appreciated Big Grin

I agree that digital technology has matured and it is fine to master audio with a DAW and plugins now (although I still believe analog can give you the edge, if you're willing to spend the budget). I even use a digital desk myself now and am perfectly happy with it, while a couple of years ago I would have sworn I would never use one.

BTW those mastering prices are not valid anymore, time has moved on and I'm not really doing it for fun and kicks anymore, but rather for a fixed day price Big Grin

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
16-02-2009 03:20 Homepage of thechronic
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

good shizzle chron mate........ can you record a very long video n show me what ya know cos mastering n compression is getting me down Frown

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

16-02-2009 03:50 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

less is more. especially with digital, when it comes to compressors. with analog compressors pushing them can sometimes sound really good. digital doesn't sound as good and warm, unless there's a compressor made for that.... ?

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 16-02-2009 05:55.

16-02-2009 05:54 Homepage of Halph-Price
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
less is more. especially with digital, when it comes to compressors. with analog compressors pushing them can sometimes sound really good. digital doesn't sound as good and warm, unless there's a compressor made for that.... ?

You can use harmonic exciters that will warm up the sound. In any case the track goes to be an mp3 or CD (most probably) so the only limitations is the CD/mp3 bandwidth.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
16-02-2009 14:21 Homepage of Muad'Dib
SafeandSound SafeandSound is a male
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 19-10-2009

Here is my take on what mastering is trying to achieve :

To maximise compatibility across a variety of playback systems, such as nightclubs, radio broadcast.

Bring a number of mixes together as one product (especially if mixed on various systems/studios)

Insertion of sub code data to receive your royalties.

Insertion of CD Text, ISRC code and Barcode information

Quality control check on your spectrum through an accurate
room and monitoring system.

To subjectively improve the sound quality of your mixes if necessary.

To correct common problems in frequency response.

To correct/advise on mix problems which may cause playback
problems.

To increase perceived punch and if desired loudness with
least amount of artifacts introduced.

If requested critique of existing mixes.

Increase likelyhood that your CD/DDP master duplicates/replicates at the plant correctly and has a technical contact.

To say your music has been mastered alludes to the fact that you take your musical output seriously.

Sequence tracks in a suitable way including insertion of PQ data and
crossfades/track gapping.

It can actually be inexpensive and the tools to achieve this include, compressors, equalizers, multiband compressors, stereo image enhancers/collapsers, mid and side compression and EQ, saturation processing, tube processing, analogue transformer saturation, limiters,exciters, spectrum analysers, dynamic EQ, declickers, de-essers, SRC's,dithering, encoding, high grade CD-R burners and CD-R media.

Carefully selected tools give you a lot of firepower for improving overal tonal qualities of a mix.

cheers

__
masteringmastering.co.uk

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by SafeandSound: 19-10-2009 23:27.

19-10-2009 23:23
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Mastering » What is mastering?