drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Mastering » mastering/EQ
Go to the bottom of this page mastering/EQ
Author
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-191.jpg

Registration Date: 21-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

ok...i have a problemo...here goes...

i have a good idea on how to write music and sequence...but it seems like the more channels i use the worse the sound quality overall gets...i think this has something to do with just using software and...i`m sorta guessing but i think i need more ram and possibly an external mixer....i`m using reason and it does everything i want except when i try to EQ my finished track i end up with a very low-fi sound...is there anyway to correct this even the slightest bit using just software? it seems like when i adjust one channel another channel ends up getting lower or just doesn`t stand out the way i intend it to...fix one thing another thing goes wrong? does anyone know the problem here?
10-08-2004 10:14
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

Hmm, not entirely sure what u mean, but maybe u could try exporting to a wav file first & then eq'ing? U could also try reducing the number of channels by making & exporting sub-mixes

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
10-08-2004 11:22 Homepage of djfreemc
Akura Akura is a male
Kletsenboem-style

images/avatars/avatar-291.gif

Registration Date: 06-04-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

What exactly do you do in Reason to EQ your track?
Do you alter the EQ-buttons (per channel) on the mixers or do you use extra EQ-units in front of your mixers?
10-08-2004 17:49
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Try compressing the tune - it will glide less loud parts (sounds) with the more loud into a compressed form, and will not let the sound make distorsion on the speakers.

You can also add compressor on every channel (synth, sample etc.) and get the GAIN knob to a satisfactory level, until everything listens good and is present.
My advices run low...

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
15-08-2004 14:41 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

As said a few times before: compressing the whole tune isn't such a good idear, since it might destroy the dynamics of it. Instead compress each channel on its own before mixdown... Knowledge of how compression works is needed to do it right though...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

15-08-2004 15:02 Homepage of Surya
T.roll T.roll is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-422.jpg

Registration Date: 23-06-2004

What sound card do you have, and other hardware?

__
Digital eye is watching you.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by T.roll: 16-08-2004 00:25.

16-08-2004 00:24
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

well, great article about this issue is on dnbscene.com here's the link http://www.dnbscene.com/articles.php?mode=display&id=79
i
... if you have more channels it really looks like the soundquality is bad becouse there are too many sounds fighting for space in spectrum.. If you're using sounds in same frequency spectrum it's good to put them in stereo..
iFor bass spectrum for example it's most important to equalise each sounds becouse otherwise it's mess.. usually in dnb you have subbass around 40-100hz and basskick somewhere in 60-200hz, it's good to cut basskick in subbass spectre and boost it a little in bass spectre so the subbass has room... but really read the article it's better explained there.

__

17-08-2004 01:45
Dave_Akuma Dave_Akuma is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1737.jpg

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.29

yeah, that's a really terrific article---highly recommended ---also search for stuff like that on the grid at doa --- lots of invaluable knowledge that every producer needs to know... Bigup

__

17-08-2004 03:23
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
As said a few times before: compressing the whole tune isn't such a good idear, since it might destroy the dynamics of it. Instead compress each channel on its own before mixdown... Knowledge of how compression works is needed to do it right though...

With a good compressor is not necesarily so! Whatever, most people have not a good compressor, so better try compressing every channel Smile

EDIT[] BTW the tutorial rocks! Smile

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
17-08-2004 21:54 Homepage of Muad'Dib
illuminati
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-191.jpg

Registration Date: 21-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

thank "yinz" all fo` the advice!!!
19-08-2004 23:48
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Mastering » mastering/EQ