drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Mastering » reverb on mastering?
Go to the bottom of this page reverb on mastering?
Author
Master Producer

Registration Date: 08-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

iv been messing around with mastering my own tracks
(presonus sutido one project side) "the flight song" and "cally's gone" here on .be.
and would like a few tips on mastering reverb,
i know that way too much of this will make it sound like its in a church hall
(not what im after at all).
so all you techy mastering heads out here in .be land,
got any advice for a young padawan seeking the knowledge of the force Smile

__
m-ej is taking a few steps back from forum life.
15-05-2010 10:22
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2706.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

First of all you should keep in mind to use mastering reverb only very subtle and your major intention should be to let all elements merge to a single product (colouring a dry mix, filling out emptiness...).
Now it’s important to pick the right tool for this task. The more sophisticated the plugin and the more options it has, the better your result can turn out.
As you’re tweaking the whole mix, it’s obvious that you do not want a long decay. Plugins dedicated only for mastering reverb purposes usually won’t let you go much beyond one second. Be careful setting the decay, to much of the “glue” will very fast lead to a very muddy sound.
After setting the decay, damping, width… you need to figure out the right amount (dry/wet) and the right placement in the mix.
I found the option “solo reverb signal” that some plugins come with very helpful because it directly reveals what you are actually adding to the mix.
Another advice is to check back your alterations with a pair of quality headphones as they bring out your reverb processing much stronger than monitors and the chance you overdo gets smaller.
After the amount is roughly set you may want to position the reverb in your mix frequency wise by setting a low and high cutoff. It really depends on what you are after, though you should avoid reverb on low frequencies, probably also on the low mids and on material beyond 7khz.
If the software you use is capable to differ between reverb on the mid- and reverb on the side- channel tweak both on their own. You may even achieve a little depth/ambience/space doing so.
At the very end check again your wet/dry options and finalize their setting.

I usually try to avoid mastering reverb, just as I generally avoid any obvious mastering (lacking knowledge, acoustically tweaked environment, equipment…). I always try to kill any potential mistakes directly in the mix which is a lot easier and efficient.
So get your mixdown as precisely done as possible and whatever it is you put on your master channel (eq, compression, reverb…), be very subtle!

“Making good sound is like preparing good food. If you overcook, it looses its taste” - B.Katz

All statements are based on own experimentation. Not saying they are the ultimate truth.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Gregg: 15-05-2010 12:14.

15-05-2010 12:08 Homepage of Gregg
selig
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

Don't put reverb on the master channel, add it to a send (100% wet) so different sounds can have different amounts instead.
15-05-2010 12:34
m-ej m-ej is a male
Master Producer

Registration Date: 08-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

great tips m8,
many thinks.

__
m-ej is taking a few steps back from forum life.
15-05-2010 14:53
SafeandSound SafeandSound is a male
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 19-10-2009

Hi there, it is quite rare to use reverb on a stereo master.

I only use one with a client who sometimes sends mono tracks along with stereo
and use the reverb as a pseudo stereo effect to add a little space to a track this has to be done with great care.

cheers

Barry

SafeandSound Mastering

__
masteringmastering.co.uk

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by SafeandSound: 21-12-2013 14:49.

02-06-2010 21:33
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Mastering » reverb on mastering?