drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How do YOU get your ideas for a track?
Go to the bottom of this page How do YOU get your ideas for a track?
Author
Sexy Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2933.jpg

Registration Date: 21-03-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I get loads of ideas, usually based around a vocal ( Im a vocalist so this helps) But dont have much time to make the tracks so end ups inging them into my phone & saving for later Big Grin

__

DARK WAX RADIO

Aim Dennean2004
29-10-2009 23:47 Homepage of Dephonix
c0rksteria c0rksteria is a male
Blazed Bandits

Registration Date: 20-09-2007

Helpfulness rating: 

Normaly i listen to signed music i own, i play with settings on massive see if i can make any inspiring sounds, thats it thoe mate sometimes i dont think of a melody before i make a tune sometimes i make the preset form before i plot the melody to inspire me... or i literaly think of a bassline in my head plot it out on piano roll, alter maybe so its more intime for dnb and go through presets till i find one that works well with my key plotting and modulate the fuck out of it basicly to make it more my own! I find it easy making the chorus and breakdowns of tunes i just either cant start them or cant end them, especialy making jumpup mmm how fuuck do i drop into this?! lol, i just go for the quite before the storm normaly! you think it was pleasnt but then... lol
30-10-2009 00:26
c0rksteria c0rksteria is a male
Blazed Bandits

Registration Date: 20-09-2007

Helpfulness rating: 

or if you have fruity loops... i think its .fst files?.... they got some with like chords in them... thats pretty good playing with some of them.......
30-10-2009 00:27
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by Dephonix
I get loads of ideas, usually based around a vocal ( Im a vocalist so this helps) But dont have much time to make the tracks so end ups inging them into my phone & saving for later Big Grin

hey why dont you post some tunage?

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
30-10-2009 11:17 Homepage of cynik
Dauntless Dauntless is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 29-10-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

90% of the time its from a sample i've loaded into Kontakt and played around with until a riff pops out then I'll roll with that. Other times its from sampling a movie or tv show or something.
ez

Dauntless

__
Check out DnBBeats.com for Drum n Bass Production Madness.
For whats up with Drum n Bass in Sydney check out SydneyFriction.com
01-11-2009 13:55 Homepage of Dauntless
jeffijoe jeffijoe is a male
xSky

images/avatars/avatar-3448.gif

Registration Date: 15-06-2009

I just came home from the hospital, so I dont feel like making music right now. I also got a programm to fix, and this freakin error have been there before I left for the hospital, so that has been bugging me, too.

I just found a pack with kickass drumloops, some from Desimal (Sweet), so I will play around with them.

And when I say Programming, I mean application programming. Tongue

Now, I'd better get on the couch and watch some TV, my stomach hurts after the surgery. >.<''

Keep it real folks. Big Grin

__
--- My Soundcloud ---
Jeffijoe - Distance EP [CrossBase]

01-11-2009 16:13 Homepage of jeffijoe
Zugzwang Zugzwang is a male
Doin' it for the love

images/avatars/avatar-2932.jpg

Registration Date: 13-05-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

Brutal man, I hope you feel better.
01-11-2009 23:54
jeffijoe jeffijoe is a male
xSky

images/avatars/avatar-3448.gif

Registration Date: 15-06-2009

quote:
Originally posted by Zugzwang
Brutal man, I hope you feel better.

Thanks bro, apreciate it. Drummer

__
--- My Soundcloud ---
Jeffijoe - Distance EP [CrossBase]

03-11-2009 14:08 Homepage of jeffijoe
arclimberock
Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-3053.gif

Registration Date: 18-05-2009

Either by playing other instruments, or they just come to me; I'm foremost a musician.

__
Click_Me

04-11-2009 21:59
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by arclimberock
Either by playing other instruments, or they just come to me; I'm foremost a musician.

Praise to that.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
05-11-2009 01:51 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Ultra_8 Ultra_8 is a male
Cool Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-2322.jpg

Registration Date: 11-08-2005

didn't read all the post before, but...

"its very important if you have strong visual idea before you start a track, coz if not knowledge of tweaking proper knobs won't do. that's nothing. tha's not music, thats maths or smth else or whatever, but not music"
quote from Marc Atmost's "Brainfuck of talant"

so basically its good to have almost an idea of "possible video clip" to your tune. in such case music will be not so rubbish and definitely standout from all that crap.

and of course mood - the key to production, not even inspiration to some extent.

as for me, i have ideas enough for 3-4 full-time movies, not clips. but desire of music production has vanished... where did i get them - just had a look on my life from a side. we've got epidemies, cataclisms, drug addicts, etc.. just switch on tv, i bet you'll get a bunch of ideas.. probably)
cheers.

"Please, stop music..." last words from "Brainfuck of talant"

__
*Ex-Active Search*

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ultra_8: 05-11-2009 09:33.

05-11-2009 09:23 Homepage of Ultra_8
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

hmmm brainfuck of talent sounds to me as the person is heavily influenced by the tv media which is a pity cause so much of it total and utter crap. music never was "video" to me, video is video, music is music, intendet to be played live and not on tv because you cant really hear it on that crappy invention

__
05-11-2009 10:58 Homepage of cynik
Ultra_8 Ultra_8 is a male
Cool Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-2322.jpg

Registration Date: 11-08-2005

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
the person is heavily influenced by the tv media

believe me, this person is not influenced by tv at all, coz he has got no tv set.)

quote:
video is video, music is music

have you heard any time about synaesthesia? mate, it's all about human perception, you can't have smth separated. all we, humans, can is to prioritize

quote:
crappy invention

tv has already played its significant role, now it's just "spam"

__
*Ex-Active Search*
05-11-2009 14:10 Homepage of Ultra_8
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

fair enough, Im just saying I dotn own a tv set either, nor watch tv at all for a very long time now so I couldnt be influenced by its spamming.

and ofcourse sound gets percepted as visuals I just dont want that part taken away and get replaced by recorded video

offtopic, tv has never played its role... all it does is send lies from day one. but that is another issue (media - journalism)

__
05-11-2009 14:37 Homepage of cynik
chomp chomp is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1614.gif

Registration Date: 06-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

every time i turn on my daw, it'sbecause i got ideas ! i never start producing with no ideas.. ideas come from tunes i hear, video games, films, dunno...

__
Devil soundcloud.com/machette Devil
06-11-2009 14:12 Homepage of chomp
Acoustiks Acoustiks is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2700.gif

Registration Date: 28-06-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

I don't listen to Dnb to get my ideas. That is how I get ideas.
28-11-2009 20:26
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
Originally posted by Crispy Liquids
quote:
Originally posted by marcusg
I have awesome tunes in my head when I am at work, by the time I get home I forget everything. Then I open up my daw with disappointment. Then get frustrated when I cant create the bass I want.

lol your life sounds like a lot of fun Cool

I got a trick to help me remember: I sing ideas into the voice recorder of my mobile phone Big Grin

It took me quite some time to get over the embarrassment of doing this in public. You get the weirdest looks when you are singing and beat boxing into a phone along with some overenthusiastic remarks about the structure etc Big Grin

Now I don't care, getting the idea down is much more important to me than whatever anyone might think. You can't chose when inspiration strikes.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
28-11-2009 21:02 Homepage of thechronic
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
I got a trick to help me remember: I sing ideas into the voice recorder of my mobile phone Big Grin

It took me quite some time to get over the embarrassment of doing this in public. You get the weirdest looks when you are singing and beat boxing into a phone along with some overenthusiastic remarks about the structure etc Big Grin

Now I don't care, getting the idea down is much more important to me than whatever anyone might think. You can't chose when inspiration strikes.

I do this as well.. Actually I bet quite many producers sing or hum or whistle stuff into their phones. Highly recommended. Big Grin

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
28-11-2009 21:35 Homepage of Puzzle
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2885.jpg

Registration Date: 25-04-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

heyyo, there are loads of ways to start a track ...
1) Think about the atmosphere for your track. If it's going to be dark, techsteppy perhaps, then you should have a go at making low-octave sounds and a 'hard' beat. Think about the genre of what you're going to produce and what sort of style it is, however don't be cliche. Make something that gives a message across; coming on to the next point.. -
2) Think about what you want your music to present. A message or an emotion maybe? I did this song two fridays ago about this girl, it started off with a nice chord pattern and then it changed into something sadder and slightly mysterious .. I finished the song in 2 days, which shows that -
3) Inspiration helps. If you have something on your mind, put it in ya music! Also listen to other artists to see what sounds good; what you want.
It's said that coming up with something is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration, so -
4) Take time to come up with sounds. Don't rush yourself, simply learn to enjoy making synths etc... Music should be enjoyable, not stressful, so if it is starting to irritate you then -
5) Take a break ... maybe watch something on TV or a film, it'll (hopefully) put you in a better mood and you'll focus more on your music when you get back to it. You can also think about sampling stuff that you've watched.
6) You gotta start somewhere. Write a simple melody and then fuck about with the synthesiser you're using. Once you get a good sound, you'll DEFINETELY come up with a good melody. I would say that a good sound makes up for a poor or average melody!
7) Get yourself a notepad my friend! That way you can write down ideas wherever you are, and you can also write stuff down while making a song, e.g. what you want to add or change. Notepads are like having 200% memory!

Hope this helps!
CtMc Cool

__
CtMc Cool
29-11-2009 01:21
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Puzzle
quote:
Originally posted by thechronic

I do this as well.. Actually I bet quite many producers sing or hum or whistle stuff into their phones. Highly recommended. Big Grin

Doing the same thing for some time now Big Grin Bigup

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
29-11-2009 06:46 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Pages (4): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How do YOU get your ideas for a track?