drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Bass
Go to the bottom of this page Bass
Author

Registration Date: 20-10-2008

yo everyone i just got Fl and havin been messin around with it for a month or two now! i have just been makin simple drum loops and what not. but anyways so im lookin for a bass plug in that sounds similar to the bass in "can i kick it"- by a tribe called quest or "you" by atmosphere..i do realize this is a DnB forum but wanted some help and thought i might get it here..also it needs to be free or if you can send me the torrent to one thats not free that would be amazing. please dont say " go search on google" i have tried..and had no luck, my comp is reeeeeeeal slow so ya. also a nice trumpet, sax plug in would be great too! thanks for any feedback, and dont say use boobass on fl..i dont like it Shocked , and if im in the wrong place please direct me to a forum thats more "hip hop" oriented
21-10-2008 01:30
Phonetic_System Phonetic_System is a male
Phonetic System

Registration Date: 28-02-2008

well to start i dont think many peeps on here will direct you to a torrent... tsk tsk. and there is not a specific vst that will bust out the bass you require. Any subtractive synth will 3osc, filter, fx etc. will give you what you need, i suggest you read up on sound design.

but here is a pack to a complete softsynth setup. should get you started. oh and increase your hip hop tempo to about 170bpm, should get a nice effect.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tzoby9j1msl (this is thanks to futures_untold dub forum)

phonetic.

__

21-10-2008 04:46 Homepage of Phonetic_System
Chongo

Registration Date: 20-10-2008

lol about the torrent thing, but yea thanks man! ill try n read up on sound design, recommend any sites?
21-10-2008 04:55
Phonetic_System Phonetic_System is a male
Phonetic System

Registration Date: 28-02-2008

ahhh not really i usually just search through forums, so much good info out there. grab a vst synth and go through the different wave forms have a feel for what they do - detune, low pass filter, lfo for some movement, then fx. have a play mate see what happens. sorry if thats not the best advice... its the best i can do.

__

21-10-2008 05:17 Homepage of Phonetic_System
the moneyshot the moneyshot is a male
str8 outa nocash

images/avatars/avatar-2685.jpg

Registration Date: 31-12-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by Phonetic_System
increase your hip hop tempo to about 170bpm, should get a nice effect.

phonetic.

Lol Lol ROFL ROFL
21-10-2008 08:11
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

quote:
Originally posted by Chongo
ill try n read up on sound design, recommend any sites?

try this site for starters! Wink - search for somethin along the lines of "bass synthesis" int he forums. i would recomend massive as a synth its pretty user friendly and theres a lot of tutorials on utube as well Bigup

__

21-10-2008 11:03 Homepage of Ketz
the moneyshot the moneyshot is a male
str8 outa nocash

images/avatars/avatar-2685.jpg

Registration Date: 31-12-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

massive is the best for newbies, it rocks Drummer

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by the moneyshot: 21-10-2008 12:01.

21-10-2008 12:00
Thisisausername Thisisausername is a male
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2604.jpg

Registration Date: 19-05-2008

You said your computer was pretty slow, and from experience, massive drains you CPU like nothing else.

I found this, never tried it, but it might be what you need...

http://www.synthtopia.com/news/06_05/Fre...Bass_Synth.html

Have you considered maybe buying a sampler?
21-10-2008 12:30
J.Rabbit J.Rabbit is a male
Creativity through Mental Illness...

images/avatars/avatar-2547.gif

Registration Date: 12-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

to be honest, I've heard the tune before but I can't think of the bassline or sound in my head... but I would advice you to start learning about different wave types and their effects at low frequencies... for example, if the bassline line sounds rough it might be a sawtooth wave with an underlying sine and square or some shit like that... the most useful technique in any type of music production is the understanding of how the sound your manipulating is being formed... play around with the 3xosc in FL, learn that and you should be good... and as far as massive being great for newbies, I'm not sure if it's good for newbies, don't get me wrong, I use it for almost everything in the tune, but I've also been working with it for a while, when I first started, I didn't even know what an envelope was let alone how to control the LFO in the filter cut offs, variating between 3 oscillators... either way, getting it wouldn't hurt, but I would just say learn the fundamentals of sound design, and you'll be able to find out what the noise is you want, rather than searching for samples or presets...

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

"Clownstep is a derisory term, used by certain listeners to describe a certain style in a negative way, it's not a subgenre as such, but most producers would feel insulted by the labelling of their music as "clownstep"."
21-10-2008 12:48 Homepage of J.Rabbit
DJ ANARKY
unregistered
i found wasp and ts404 synthesizers easy to learn on (add channels in fl).can get sum wiked sounds out of em aswell Rinse
21-10-2008 17:37
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

(I've moved the discussion about the green, green grass of home to another thread called Ganja, weed, hash... whatever you call it, we love it. OK, that's a stupid title but I'm sure most of you will agree with the sentiment. Spliff Doped )

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
21-10-2008 21:55 Homepage of Tomos
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Tomos
(I've moved the discussion about the green, green grass of home to another thread called Ganja, weed, hash... whatever you call it, we love it. OK, that's a stupid title but I'm sure most of you will agree with the sentiment. Spliff Doped )

ROFL good idea hahah Bigup

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
22-10-2008 01:44 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Phalanx Phalanx is a male
Chronologic

images/avatars/avatar-2536.gif

Registration Date: 13-09-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:

Pure class!

__
http://soundcloud.com/chronologic
22-10-2008 03:11 Homepage of Phalanx
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

quote:

nice work mr mod man! Bigup Big Grin

__

22-10-2008 09:21 Homepage of Ketz
GeeZZ
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 31-03-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.33

try sylus it cums wiv fl for newbi thats all u need, wen u learn how 2 use it u can all kind of bass wiv it try the simpler plugins 2 start wiv
22-10-2008 21:17
selig
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

quote:
Originally posted by J.Rabbit
to be honest, I've heard the tune before but I can't think of the bassline or sound in my head...

IIRC it samples the bassline off Lou Reed's walk on the wild side, so it might be best to just sample the original tune. Or to get some samples of a double bass or whatever it was.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by selig: 23-10-2008 01:59.

23-10-2008 01:59
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

3xosc is quality..... dont overlook it by its simpisity. trust me on this one once you get down with it you will find some very very good bass samples. check out my tracks for a sample of what ya can find. fx are a must tho cos thats when ya get some original samples. its also not that much of a cpu hog like massive is. u need quite a good pc to use it

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

28-10-2008 00:37 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by CULTURE BOY
3xosc is quality..... dont overlook it by its simpisity. trust me on this one once you get down with it you will find some very very good bass samples. check out my tracks for a sample of what ya can find. fx are a must tho cos thats when ya get some original samples. its also not that much of a cpu hog like massive is. u need quite a good pc to use it

I am doing most of my distorted basses (reeces etc.) with 3xosc!

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
28-10-2008 01:17 Homepage of Muad'Dib
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Bass