drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » What software do the pro's use?
Go to the bottom of this page What software do the pro's use?
Author
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Registration Date: 13-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.82

Roll Eyes Tongue

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
26-05-2008 02:48 Homepage of Arkitekt
Corpheus
Tourist

Registration Date: 22-11-2007

quote:
Originally posted by CheesyPOOF5
Evol Intent uses Reaktor. That's one weird ass program... iit's confusing as hell to me.

I love Reaktor, addicting program. It's complex though, and I still have the manual sitting to the left of me at all times.
22-06-2008 18:20
junglist06 junglist06 is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-2586.jpg

Registration Date: 12-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by -J-
pro's use secret software of which we are denied the knowledge of its existence !

lol!!!!!

__
aka D-Man.....salute the junglist general
23-06-2008 17:48
chomp chomp is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1614.gif

Registration Date: 06-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

Nightwalker - Fruity Loops (3 years ago i'm not sure now)
Jayline - Reason
Shifta - Reason
G-Dub - Cubase
Twisted Individual - Cubase
Chase & Status - Cubase

i say that remembering videos i saw in the past showing their setups.

__
Devil soundcloud.com/machette Devil
05-07-2008 04:29 Homepage of chomp
CheesyPOOF5
Steppa

Registration Date: 16-12-2007

It seems most liquid stuff is made on Reason , while a lot of jump up on Cubase.
13-07-2008 07:45
Sentinel Sentinel is a male
Mr. Grumpy

images/avatars/avatar-2995.png

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.92

quote:
Originally posted by CheesyPOOF5
It seems most liquid stuff is made on Reason , while a lot of jump up on Cubase.

Really !?

I thought it was the person behind the DAW that makes the music !?

__

13-07-2008 12:22 Homepage of Sentinel
c_ctrl c_ctrl is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2599.jpg

Registration Date: 02-06-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

Skimmed through so maybe these have been said but

Danny Byrd - Logic
London Elektricity - Cubase
Subfocus - Cubase
Clipz ..urgh - Logic

quote:
thought it was the person behind the DAW that makes the music !?

This is very true, but to someone who's just starting out in music production, the endless list of DAWs is daunting. Knowing someone you admire and whose music you respect uses a certain software may swing the balance. It is however a minefield. I started out on Cubase because I saw an artist I loved using it. Turned out I didn't love Cubase as much...Roll Eyes

__
DeCode & Roary Soundcloud
15-07-2008 01:48 Homepage of c_ctrl
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

This is kinda off-topic, but I was thinking, that what programs did the legends (like Adam F, Goldie, Photek etc.) use back in the 90's?

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
15-07-2008 12:29 Homepage of Puzzle
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

quote:
Originally posted by Allotropy
This is kinda off-topic, but I was thinking, that what programs did the legends (like Adam F, Goldie, Photek etc.) use back in the 90's?

the really old version of cubase that ran on an atari and could only sequence midi.

using that to trigger their old Akai and E-MU samplers

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

15-07-2008 12:31 Homepage of D2o
CheesyPOOF5
Steppa

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost
quote:
Originally posted by Allotropy

the really old version of cubase that ran on an atari and could only sequence midi.

using that to trigger their old Akai and E-MU samplers

Yep. As everyone has said - it doesn't matter what you have, it's what you do with it. And it's not just people on this forum - Tony Coleman says it (London Elektricity), and Fabio said it during his interview with Zero T on Sunday.
15-07-2008 20:50
[dj] Leonces [dj] Leonces is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2510.jpg

Registration Date: 13-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Ive been watching alot of Youtube tutorials, and they've been VERY helpful. I'm relatively new to producing dnb (I've made hundreds of electro tracks though) and when a group like Chase and Status sits you down in front of their computer and say "Fuck Compression!" (My wording, not theirs) its a big help. Their tutorial on making beats made me a bit skeptical, but then Logistics and Subfocus said the same things. So, I listened, gritting my teeth, and now my beats sound a hundred times phatter.

This brings me to the point of this ramble...

They were all using Cubase to make beats with audio (not midi). All my beats are midi, and I don't have a program like cubase or acid anymore so thats a bit difficult for me. I thought that was weird tho. I mean, chopping up someone else's beats doesn't exactly push the genre in a new direction does it?

I need more coffee....
18-07-2008 21:07
CheesyPOOF5
Steppa

quote:
Originally posted by [dj] Leonces
Ive been watching alot of Youtube tutorials, and they've been VERY helpful. I'm relatively new to producing dnb (I've made hundreds of electro tracks though) and when a group like Chase and Status sits you down in front of their computer and say "Fuck Compression!" (My wording, not theirs) its a big help. Their tutorial on making beats made me a bit skeptical, but then Logistics and Subfocus said the same things. So, I listened, gritting my teeth, and now my beats sound a hundred times phatter.

This brings me to the point of this ramble...

They were all using Cubase to make beats with audio (not midi). All my beats are midi, and I don't have a program like cubase or acid anymore so thats a bit difficult for me. I thought that was weird tho. I mean, chopping up someone else's beats doesn't exactly push the genre in a new direction does it?

I need more coffee....

Not all artists do this.
I know for a fact London Elektricity at least on some of his tracks programs the beats.
19-07-2008 19:18
Binary Havoc Binary Havoc is a male
Binary Havoc

images/avatars/avatar-2473.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Well as a cubase / nuendo user, I've worked in the same way as Chase n status since watching the vid you refer to a while back.

I dont really see the diiference between working with audio (arranging kicks / snares / one shots n loops on different audio channels) and using a midi or vst sampler loaded up with essentially all the same samples. Huh

For me it gives me a much improved, faster simpler workflow and my system doesnt have to handle chucking midi info around or use up processing power with vst samplers or drum modules. The ease that it gives in terms of being able to quickly set up sub groups and quickly apply eq n compression to individual elements is fantastic.

Works for me Bigup

__
http://soundcloud.com/binaryhavoc/dropbox

20-07-2008 11:14 Homepage of Binary Havoc
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

quote:
Originally posted by [dj] Leonces

I need more coffee....

well you don't necessarily have to look at it that way mate, I'll agree with BH on this one, and whos to say you can't program your own beats, export the audio and then work with the audio files in Cubase? Thats something I'm looking to do soon, as at the moment in Reason I know its all possible and that is my current practice (programnig beats from, scratch, layering cut up and reprogrammed loops here n there), but then it can be a headache sometimes when u have a beat with loadsa layers and you have to set up your Reason instruments in a particular way (eqing each sound individualy, compressing etc etc) for me simplicity is key, as i'm not a very technical person - and i understand i need to get technical to make better tunes, but the simpler the better for me, that way i can focus more on composition instead of scratchin my head round the computer lol

__

24-07-2008 10:21 Homepage of Ketz
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » What software do the pro's use?