drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » The first step in Hardware
Go to the bottom of this page The first step in Hardware
Author
Danny boy

Registration Date: 28-08-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

Hi people,
I am thinking about investing in some hardware to step up my production. At the moment my setup consists of my PC with cubase and a load of Native Instruments software + some random VSTs. So where do i go from here?

What hardware would you guys reccomend to take my DnB to the next level? What is your favourite hardware etc?

Safe!!

__
Art For Your Ears...
04-12-2007 23:12
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

Mate, there isnt much you cant do with software these days so synth wise i dnt think i'd bother unless i was getting a virus Ti or a Alesis andromeda

One thing that might be a good thing to get is either a analogue filter.......(i have an Electrix Filter factiry and its wicked.....although a little underused atm)

or

a nice valve EQ or comp to resample your breaks through to give them some nich warmth b2b crunch

or if your looking for some fucked up twisting of sounds get some guitar pedals to run stuff through......can be pretty cheap too

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

04-12-2007 23:19 Homepage of D2o
Nebulizer Nebulizer is a male
Danny boy

Registration Date: 28-08-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

If i was to link up something like a guitar peddle, how would i do this? Like what kind of adapter would i need etc?

__
Art For Your Ears...
05-12-2007 00:14
equipped equipped is a male
tired

images/avatars/avatar-2339.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
22 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.23

line 6 gear is a treat for all kinds of proccessing, hard to find the rack versions and not cheap but forshure worth it, just payed $750.00 for the echo pro, no worries though you can also settle 2 different resonably priced pedal version's. emu gear is a treat also

__
Space

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by equipped: 05-12-2007 11:39.

05-12-2007 11:35
equipped equipped is a male
tired

images/avatars/avatar-2339.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
22 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.23

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost

One thing that might be a good thing to get is either a analogue filter.......(i have an Electrix Filter factiry
don't forget the mighty Warp Factory <also a toppy notcher, here's a King Tubby tune through it>http://www.sendspace.com/file/uec7cz

__
Space
05-12-2007 11:48
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

quote:
Mate, there isnt much you cant do with software these days so synth wise i dnt think i'd bother unless i was getting a virus Ti or a Alesis andromeda

I would disagree with that Big Grin it's not neccesarily all about what you can do with a synth, but the quality of the sound that it can produce, I'm not saying that software doesn't sound good but i find that analogue hardware synths or like you say, one with some analogue circuitry to my ears sound more organic & unique than the average softsynth. Plus the hands on aspect of creating sounds is way more fun that clicking a mouse Smile

The Access virus & alesis andromeda are awesome synths but I don't think you have to go to that level price level to get some good hardware - there are a lot of great cheap(ish) analogue synths that are gonna give you hours of fun & also great sounds

eg:
Roland Juno 6/60/106
Roland SH-101
Waldorf Pulse
Waldorf Microwave I
DSI Evolver Desktop
Korg Polysix/Poly61/Poly800/monopoly
Yamaha CS-5/10/15
Akai AX-60
Sequential Sixtrack/Multitrack

Those are just some examples of cheap analogue or hybrid synths you could probably pick up sub £300 on ebay.

VA's aren't bad either, mainly for the hands on aspect but I personally don't see the point in them if you have software.
05-12-2007 19:53
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

quote:
Originally posted by Yawn
quote:

I would disagree with that Big Grin it's not neccesarily all about what you can do with a synth, but the quality of the sound that it can produce, I'm not saying that software doesn't sound good but i find that analogue hardware synths or like you say, one with some analogue circuitry to my ears sound more organic & unique than the average softsynth. Plus the hands on aspect of creating sounds is way more fun that clicking a mouse Smile

The Access virus & alesis andromeda are awesome synths but I don't think you have to go to that level price level to get some good hardware - there are a lot of great cheap(ish) analogue synths that are gonna give you hours of fun & also great sounds

eg:
Roland Juno 6/60/106
Roland SH-101
Waldorf Pulse
Waldorf Microwave I
DSI Evolver Desktop
Korg Polysix/Poly61/Poly800/monopoly
Yamaha CS-5/10/15
Akai AX-60
Sequential Sixtrack/Multitrack

Those are just some examples of cheap analogue or hybrid synths you could probably pick up sub £300 on ebay.

VA's aren't bad either, mainly for the hands on aspect but I personally don't see the point in them if you have software.

anmd when they asked what synth did you use to make that phat basssline and they said just the synths taht came with the program, there was a realization it's not int he tools that mastercraft uses but int he skill.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

05-12-2007 21:01 Homepage of Halph-Price
Rudeone
love & light

images/avatars/avatar-2481.jpg

Registration Date: 15-10-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

you dont take your production to the next level by using hardware.

maybe learn how to make sick compositions to do so.

__
MySpace

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Rudeone: 05-12-2007 21:54.

05-12-2007 21:51 Homepage of Rudeone
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

Q. What can I buy that's gonna make me good producer?

A. Materials don't make you a good producer. A good producer can compose a masterpiece with even the most minmal of tools at their disposal. Limitations are your friend.
05-12-2007 22:28
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
...Limitations are your friend.

You have no idea how true that is. I am prone to calling it essential.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
06-12-2007 00:18 Homepage of Muad'Dib
chomp chomp is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1614.gif

Registration Date: 06-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

Buy a pro soundcard and good monitors Smile

__
Devil soundcloud.com/machette Devil
07-12-2007 15:06 Homepage of chomp
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
...Limitations are your friend.

Agree 100%

If you only have 10 sounds to choose from you'll make the best possible track with those 10 sounds. If you have 100.000 sounds you'll always have the feeling that you could have done a better job if you would have picked other sounds.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
08-12-2007 16:26 Homepage of BattleDrone
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » The first step in Hardware