drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Using a compressor for EQing
Go to the bottom of this page Using a compressor for EQing
Author
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

edit by thechronic: this has been split off from: Eqing plug-ins....

compression IS eq. usually if you want more high end you make a slower attack. the initial sound is higher pitched. deeper sound you make a longer release. you change a lot of the timber with compression. Big Grin

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 06-06-2007 03:40.

04-06-2007 04:29 Homepage of Halph-Price
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
compression IS eq. usually if you want more high end you make a slower attack. the initial sound is higher pitched. deeper sound you make a longer release.

sorry halph but you really are talking out your arse there.

compression IS NOT eq.
ok compression might have a slight affect on the frequencies but thats only if you are compressing sounds with a wide frequency ranges in which case you should really be using a mutli band compressor.

compression is for control of the dynamic range.

Eq is for altering the specral content of a sound

dont use a compressor to do an EQ's job

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by D2o: 04-06-2007 09:34.

04-06-2007 09:26 Homepage of D2o
Seven Gun Seven Gun is a male
dotbee 4eva

images/avatars/avatar-2384.jpg

Registration Date: 16-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy C
quote:
compression IS eq. usually if you want more high end you make a slower attack. the initial sound is higher pitched. deeper sound you make a longer release.

sorry halph but you really are talking out your arse there.

compression IS NOT eq.
ok compression might have a slight affect on the frequencies but thats only if you are compressing sounds with a wide frequency ranges in which case you should really be using a mutli band compressor.

cue the extremly long reply from halph........
Big Grin

__
"When you lose, dont lose the lesson"
04-06-2007 15:25
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Seven Gun

cue the extremly long reply from halph........
Big Grin

i know.....i'm waiting Big Grin

__

04-06-2007 15:39 Homepage of D2o
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

wiki

quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equalization
In audio processing, equalization (EQ) is the process of changing the frequency envelope of a sound. In passing through any channel, temporal/frequency spreading of a signal occurs. Etymologically, it means to correct, or make equal, the frequency response of a signal. The term "equalizer" is often incorrectly applied as a general term for audio filters. DJ mixing equipment and hi-fi audio components often include so called graphic equalizers/equalisers or simply equalizer/equaliser.

i mean i could argue the sun isn't yellow by saying NO ITS NOT, but that would just be saying a contradiction. an argument is intellgent. contradiction is annoying and insultive.

you'll notice, too, that compression changes the frequency envelope of a sound. thefore making it a equalization (EQ).

simply, compression IS eq.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 6 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 05-06-2007 10:39.

05-06-2007 10:31 Homepage of Halph-Price
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

Helpfulness rating: 

i cba with this......go ahead and carry on eqing your stuff with a compressor

happy days

__

05-06-2007 11:06 Homepage of D2o
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy C
i cba with this......go ahead and carry on eqing your stuff with a compressor

happy days

i just wanted to show you that i wasn't talking out of my ass. but hey, ignorance is bliss.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

05-06-2007 11:22 Homepage of Halph-Price
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I thing this Compressor <-> EQ thing is not like A=B
Compressing is a way of Equalising, but Equalising as a technique is not compressing. When you want to cut out some frequency you'll most likely grab a parametric EQ for that, not a Compressor.

Now shake hands and make up kidz Big Grin Hug

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
05-06-2007 11:30 Homepage of BattleDrone
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

well i don't mean compression is the end all be all of eq, but it is eq, just like filters are eq too. they are not a completly different ballgame. i can't help it if it's not understood and accepted by these pros. i am too noob.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 05-06-2007 11:36.

05-06-2007 11:35 Homepage of Halph-Price
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Compression has definitely an impact on the spectrum, and you have to be aware of this when mixing.

Putting in a compressor to do some basic EQing might not be the best idea though, it will probably not give the desired results Big Grin

Using an EQ to counter a problem that has been caused by a compressor is not the best idea either. A typical case is loss of low end, instead of cranking it back up with an EQ it is better to tweak the compressor to reduce the loss.

All this stuff is interrelated anyway, just like EQing has a big influence on the sound level.

BTW you can also do it the other way round: change the dynamics of a signal by using EQ. It will sound crap lol

To make things even more complicated there are units that are a combination of EQ and dynamics, such as dynamic EQs and de-essers Passout

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
05-06-2007 15:30 Homepage of thechronic
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

isn't EQ just a frequency sensitive volume knob Big Grin

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
05-06-2007 20:24 Homepage of cynik
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by cynik

you mean a bunch of filters?

i wasn't off topic, i have no idea why this is a seperate thread. and that comment on this thread is taken out of context too.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 05-06-2007 22:57.

05-06-2007 22:55 Homepage of Halph-Price
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
I thing this Compressor <-> EQ thing is not like A=B
Compressing is a way of Equalising, but Equalising as a technique is not compressing. When you want to cut out some frequency you'll most likely grab a parametric EQ for that, not a Compressor.

Now shake hands and make up kidz Big Grin Hug

i never said that equalising is compressing. did i want me to recap what i said. compression is eq.

that's the opposite of what you seem to try to disprove with the latter part of your first sentance.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 06-06-2007 01:08.

05-06-2007 22:59 Homepage of Halph-Price
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cynik

you mean a bunch of filters?

i wasn't off topic, i have no idea why this is a seperate thread. and that comment on this thread is taken out of context too.

I just ripped out the whole discussion about using compressors as EQ, the original topic was lost, and this topic is definitely worth its own thread.

edit: I see what you mean, I forgot to put in the reference to the original thread, fixed that, sorry for the confusion

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
06-06-2007 00:14 Homepage of thechronic
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

what do you guys think a de-esser is.... its a frequency conscious compressor.... in that case is is LIKE an EQ but not quite, neverhteless it is decribed as like an eq in this isense....you also can sidechain a gate (dynamics unit) to work depending on frequency like when there is a lot of spill from a hi hat on the snare when recording a drum kit...

had to have my 2 cents

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
06-06-2007 12:42
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Digital Cause
what do you guys think a de-esser is.... its a frequency conscious compressor.... in that case is is LIKE an EQ but not quite, neverhteless it is decribed as like an eq in this isense....you also can sidechain a gate (dynamics unit) to work depending on frequency like when there is a lot of spill from a hi hat on the snare when recording a drum kit...

had to have my 2 cents

yes i know that, but halph and me was just talking about plain compression

__

06-06-2007 13:02 Homepage of D2o
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

I eq with filters , and then with a parametric/graphic eq

Notch , bandpass , highpass , lowpass , ...pass all the way !!
06-06-2007 14:44
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

In a way you could say that the analyse function of FL Studio's EQUO plugin makes this graphic equaliser function like a compressor.

For people that don't know FL/EQUO: It analyses the spectrum while you play a sound through it and it will adjust the sliders in such a way that the weak frequencies get boosted and the overpresent frequencies get pushed down, thus creating a maximal overall presence of the sound.

You can read and see more about EQUO here.

And besides, before I upset any of you, Equo is capable of far more than just doing what i described. It's a damn neat EQ.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
07-06-2007 14:44 Homepage of BattleDrone
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Digital Cause

had to have my 2 cents

de-esser is an eq. not like, it IS. Big Grin see you're into that there's one thing that's label an EQ, the filters, and they are EQ. but they are not teh ONLY eq. it's more of a terminology thing than anyhing,

let's take for example the track that seven gun gave met o remix, he had a smaple of orch hits in it, i want it to have more bass in it, and instead of cranking the bottem end up on it with a filter, i compressed it and the later part after the first hit get louder and sounds more natural then filtering, and mad it have more bass.

but most wouldn't think of that, most would think i want more bass i'll go for the parametric and boost up 300hz unnaturally.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 07-06-2007 21:53.

07-06-2007 21:52 Homepage of Halph-Price
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
In a way you could say that the analyse function of FL Studio's EQUO plugin makes this graphic equaliser function like a compressor.

For people that don't know FL/EQUO: It analyses the spectrum while you play a sound through it and it will adjust the sliders in such a way that the weak frequencies get boosted and the overpresent frequencies get pushed down, thus creating a maximal overall presence of the sound.

You can read and see more about EQUO here.

And besides, before I upset any of you, Equo is capable of far more than just doing what i described. It's a damn neat EQ.

so i say a compressor is an eq, and you counter now with an eq is a compressor. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

the analyze part is dynamic and it does bring the quiter louder and the louder quiter, making the differnece between them reduced to bring up the overall volume.

i think you're right.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

07-06-2007 21:59 Homepage of Halph-Price
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Using a compressor for EQing