drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » questions regarding playing live
Go to the bottom of this page questions regarding playing live
Author

Registration Date: 19-07-2006

Hi i have some questions regarding playing live. which kind of gear would you recommend i am thinking about buying a Pioneer mixer i just don't know which one. the options i have reacht is: djm 400)(djm 600) or (djm 909)
can you guide me, if you could tell what your perfect DJ set would consist of, that would also be great because i really would like to play the music i make live now!

my idea for a set up goes something like this:

a 2 channel mixer?

a kaos pad

2 CD player combined

it should aw cause be as simple as possible i saw venetian snares live and he only had a mixer (djm600) i think, and 2 CD player combined if you could confirm that, it would also be great.

PS. i know it´s a lot of questions but if you could help a dnb brother in need it would be massive. big up. k-krom aka code mayhem Big Grin
06-12-2006 12:23
@1$-)
unregistered
well its more dj'ing than playing live.

my advice if you want to get really live is buy a laptop & ableton. Then at least you can give a performance rather than just a dj set. Or there is always Reaktor but t might be a bit complicated if your new to it.

But yeh if u just wanna mix tunes then what youve listed is good enough. Maybe invest in a mixer with a few more channels in case you decide to add to your set up in the future, and make sure the mixer has an effect send for the kaoss pad.
06-12-2006 12:39
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

Yeah, vsnares uses either a CD mixer or occasionally 2 computers.

Laptop sets are the way to go tho. Its much more versatile and a lot more hands on. Anything you could do with a kaoss pad would be easy to recreate with reaktor and beyond. Its not the cheepest option, but its a lot better than luging around CD decks and all the CD's you might need. Even with something like ableton the possiblities are huge without having to go into indepth programming like you'd have to with reaktor. I think using Laptops live requires a lot more thought and preperation that CDs or vinyl, but it affords you a whole lot more creative input. As munki said, Its a performance rather than just a DJ set.
06-12-2006 14:29
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

quote:
Originally posted by TechDiff
Its not the cheepest option...

I think price-wise it will turn out about the same if you have to buy everything new.

pioneer djm-707: 652€
pioneer cdj-800MKII: 725€
pioneer cdj-800MKII: 725€
korg kaos pad II: 311€
Total setup: 2413€

Decent laptop: about 1500€
ableton live 6 license: 470€
M-audio firewire audiophile: 224€
Behringer BCR2000: 150€
Total setup: 2344€

I would also advice to use ableton live with a laptop, because it will give you much more possibilities then cd players and a mixer.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
06-12-2006 19:21 Homepage of djfreemc
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » questions regarding playing live