Go to the bottom of this page Advice needed
Author
mentalist

images/avatars/avatar-1818.jpg

Registration Date: 17-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

Bit of a long one this.

I´m out in Granada earning peanuts teaching english for a year. I now know some guy who owns one of the clubs around here, its quite quality up in the mountains over looking the alhambra if anyone knows what that is.

Anyway, despite the small problem that I only have a laptop, and dont know whow to dj using vinyl, and have NO experience other than playing around with tracktor a lot and the odd little gathereing, I htought considering they have no dnb around here hence no competition and no stnadards, i´d put myself forward to play out a little bit. Its looking like it might actually happen tho, and I´m shitting it. It will only be early in the night, and like one hour or something on a dead day, but all the same.

So i have some questions. One: Will mp3s sound abdolutely shite over a big(ger) system? I mean we´re no ttalking ab ig place here, more like a bar than a club, but still, is it an option?

Two: If it is a problem is there anyway of changing the format back to wav aand aiff and recuperating the quality?

Three: If i just plug the laptop into their system, am I likely to have to fuck around with whatever hardware (which I will no nothing about) they have to get the sound right? cos that could be a big problem.

Four: lol, im blagging it so much . . . but I want to know how often in a set you think its ok to let the chill bit in the middle happen? If you do it too much it gets annoying i think for people on the dance floor . . .so any advice on that and jsut any basica shit you can offer me wil be greatly appreciated.

let me know . . .

oh and wwhile im at it @Chronic if he ahppens to read this, why have I gone from the exalted heights of four vinyls on my avatar to a humble three stars?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by broadside: 01-12-2006 21:48.

01-12-2006 21:46
broadside broadside is a male
mentalist

Helpfulness rating: 

heeeeeeeeeeelp pls
03-12-2006 21:34
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

1: keep the bitrate from your mp3's above 256kbps (320 prefered ofcoarse) and noone will notice it's mp3

2: I dont think so

3: You'll probably have to bring an mini-jack to rca cable and plug out one of their cd players, then plug the rca's in the mixer and the mini-jack in your laptop's line-out

4: I personally try to mix over breakdowns as much as possible, but certain breaks just neeeeed to be played full...and a whole set of beats is boring also

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
03-12-2006 21:49 Homepage of Friscko
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

quote:
Originally posted by broadside
Bit of a long one this.

I´m out in Granada earning peanuts teaching english for a year. I now know some guy who owns one of the clubs around here, its quite quality up in the mountains over looking the alhambra if anyone knows what that is.

Anyway, despite the small problem that I only have a laptop, and dont know whow to dj using vinyl, and have NO experience other than playing around with tracktor a lot and the odd little gathereing, I htought considering they have no dnb around here hence no competition and no stnadards, i´d put myself forward to play out a little bit. Its looking like it might actually happen tho, and I´m shitting it. It will only be early in the night, and like one hour or something on a dead day, but all the same.

So i have some questions. One: Will mp3s sound abdolutely shite over a big(ger) system? I mean we´re no ttalking ab ig place here, more like a bar than a club, but still, is it an option?

Two: If it is a problem is there anyway of changing the format back to wav aand aiff and recuperating the quality?

Three: If i just plug the laptop into their system, am I likely to have to fuck around with whatever hardware (which I will no nothing about) they have to get the sound right? cos that could be a big problem.

Four: lol, im blagging it so much . . . but I want to know how often in a set you think its ok to let the chill bit in the middle happen? If you do it too much it gets annoying i think for people on the dance floor . . .so any advice on that and jsut any basica shit you can offer me wil be greatly appreciated.

let me know . . .

oh and wwhile im at it @Chronic if he ahppens to read this, why have I gone from the exalted heights of four vinyls on my avatar to a humble three stars?

i have the same problems/questions lol , i have to spin on NYE with my laptop.
04-12-2006 00:28
broadside broadside is a male
mentalist

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Friscko
1: keep the bitrate from your mp3's above 256kbps (320 prefered ofcoarse) and noone will notice it's mp3

2: I dont think so

3: You'll probably have to bring an mini-jack to rca cable and plug out one of their cd players, then plug the rca's in the mixer and the mini-jack in your laptop's line-out

4: I personally try to mix over breakdowns as much as possible, but certain breaks just neeeeed to be played full...and a whole set of beats is boring also

Frisko muchas gracias amigo

much appreciated.
04-12-2006 20:53
poesjka poesjka is a female
Funky Lady

images/avatars/avatar-695.jpg

Registration Date: 13-02-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.43

quote:
Originally posted by Friscko

exactly..
the crowd usually goes mad after a drop, twice more than before the breakdown, that's why you have to include some breakdowns as well.. and it's funny to see the beat junks or the xtc-junks going mad and begging for beats during a breakdown Tongue

__
Poesjka

31/03 Café Détour @ Lille (FR)
17/05 www.jungletrain.net Motronicism live 17h-19h
28/07 Drum NN bass Part V @ Nieuwe Nor, Heerlen (NL)
06-12-2006 14:46
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

quote:

One: Will mp3s sound abdolutely shite over a big(ger) system? I mean we´re no ttalking ab ig place here, more like a bar than a club, but still, is it an option?

Shouldnt do, the main difference will be in the bass. And it'd have to be a spankingly nice PA and a good acoustic space in order for the difference to really show up. Just use the highest bit rates possible.

quote:

No, once its been rendered as an MP3 there is no way of recovering the loss in quality

quote:

Chances are the PA will have a DI input which (in theory) you'll be able to connect right into. Normally this'll be quater inch jacks. You should be able to get your hand on a mini jack to phono lead and adapters to convert each phono output to a mono quater inch jack plug [/quote]

quote:

Thats up to your discretion. Just think how you'd like the set to go if you where in the crowd. As someone already said, and hour of nothing but beats is boring as hell. Its all about creating a story in my opinion, taking the listener on a journey. A journey doesnt consist of one flat surface but climbs and drops. If its any help, I think a good set is like good sex. A whole lot of fun and not just a one dimensional thing. Just build it up to a big climax and youve got it nailed.

Keep us posted on how it goes.
06-12-2006 17:39
Saikonutta
not helpful ^^

Registration Date: 09-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.83

quote:
and it's funny to see the beat junks or the xtc-junks going mad and begging for beats during a breakdown

ROFL

imagining myself at a party...

Big Grin
06-12-2006 21:18
drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJs & MCs » Advice needed