drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Ableton Live » live 5 & powerbook cpu probs
Go to the bottom of this page live 5 & powerbook cpu probs
Author
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1048.jpg

Registration Date: 20-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Ok heres the set up
powerbook 17" G4 1.33 ghz with 1 gig of ram
Presonus firebox 4 in/6 out audio interface
Live 5
Cubase SX1 & le
Reason 2.5
peak 4
various plugins (mostly freeware)
Guitars / bass / tables etc

Here's the problem; Live by itself seems to be using like 90% cpu just to run 4-5 clips. When I rewire with reason it obviously gets worse. I never really noticed before but then again I havent
tried running 10+ channels of audio and midi with rewire through live. Yet with a cubase /reason rewire my cpu usage is like 2/3 less than with just live (wtf). Live 5 system requirements say at least
a G3 with 256 megs of RAM. I realize that is bare minimum and faster with more Ram is always
better but I should have more than just a few channels of clips worth of speed and RAM, shouldn't
I ?
Thanx in advance for any insight to this!

__
SAVE THE SL1200

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dmccabe: 26-11-2006 23:22.

26-11-2006 23:21
Saikonutta
not helpful ^^

Registration Date: 09-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.83

I'm not a Mac user so I don't know that much about Mac OS etc..

But I thought maybe you don't have the correct audio driver for your interface selected in your audio software...

make sure you have selected the one that came with your audio interface, and not the standard one from your operating system/internal sound card

Mayb this is of use for you?

cheers
27-11-2006 00:02
dmccabe dmccabe is a male
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

Nah thats not it. Macs core audio is pretty much fool proof, and was ready to sync to my firebox
before i even got it. (came with my last OS update) thanx 4 the reply though.
and just to let you guys know, I tried changin' the sample rate, bit depth, latency, and CPU thresh
hold. What I wanted to do was set up a rewire template with 2 dr rex, 2 NNXTs, a subtractor, malstrom, NN19, with about 4 VSTIs (bass synth, stereo sampler, xtra drum machine, xtra synth)
some FX chains, stereo input for my tables, inputs for my 2 guitars and bass. I was hoping that I could just treat live like a real 28 channel mixing board and leave everything that I wanted,"hooked
up" and just switch through midi channels for reason and my VSTIs'. That way, I had near instant access to any sound I have at my disposal. In theory it sounds great, "kickin' back with my controller
fliping though the 16 midi channels tweaking knobs and sliders, pick up my bass and roll out some funk, scratch a few samples, all within a few swivels of my chair. " Seems to be easier dreamt than done. The only thing I can think of is to keep working on individual parts and "bounce" them to audio. But, I've never bothered to "bounce" before so I'm not really sure of the process.
What I mean is, when to decide what to bounce. I've given it some thought and research and I've come up with this basic process.
-get my drum kit samples layered, edited, processed then bounce them (individually)
-then build several patterns, layer edit, eq (if necessary) and boune the patterns
-and do the same with any pads
-and the same with any leads and or vocals
By now I would think that I'd have enough of a track to work with (mostly in audio) and I can start
setting levels, arranging, looking at the major transitions of the tune and adding any finishing touches.
Would you guys say that's the basic idea when someone says "Dude, why aren't you 'bouncing down your tracks, don't you know it helps conserve cpu usage?"

__
SAVE THE SL1200

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by dmccabe: 27-11-2006 04:55.

27-11-2006 04:46
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

I'm not sure, but maybe live has a function to dynamically disable and enable plugins, something like FL's "smart disable". Gonna check if I can find some info about this possibility in Live...

edit: apparently Live disables unused plugins automatically. You could try to freeze the tracks in wich you don't want to make any changes at the moment you are using them. I suggest you read the chapter on managing resources in the Live manual. Maybe some of the tricks explained there will help you.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by djfreemc: 27-11-2006 20:32.

27-11-2006 20:09 Homepage of djfreemc
dmccabe dmccabe is a male
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

oh yeah I totally forgot about freezing, thanx Wink
And yes, ableton does disable unused tracks like FL and Cubase, but it still seems to use to much cpu. oh well. Btw, was my synopsis of "bouncing" correct? If so then maybe that'll help.

__
SAVE THE SL1200
27-11-2006 21:28
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

quote:
Originally posted by dmccabe

powerbook 17" G4 1.33 ghz with 1 gig of ram

i think its time for a bigger processor

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

27-11-2006 22:39 Homepage of D2o
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

quote:
Originally posted by dmccabe
Btw, was my synopsis of "bouncing" correct? If so then maybe that'll help.

I'm not sure if bouncing will do much more than freezing. The way I understand it, freezing does pretty much the same as bouncing, but in a more automatic way, so the effects etc don't have te be recalculated every time and save cpu. But you can try and see if it makes much difference.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
28-11-2006 11:46 Homepage of djfreemc
91db 91db is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1938.jpg

Registration Date: 11-02-2005

Yo Dmccabe,

Make sure your samples in live are set correctly take all complex modes off and assign to relevant wave form (beat/texture etc). Freezing tracks in ableton does not allow you to record back onto its sequencer which would mean messing with the envelopes (mouse only) settings a lot more which ain't such a bad thing to get into.

It would be faster to create new stuff using ableton on it's own recording 'bass' parts etc in on the fly! I export a lot of sounds/beats out of logic/cubase and build things up in ableton for jamming and building 'live' sets with plenty of controller fun!

I don't think SX1 recalls re-wire settings for templates, you could do with upgrading to logicpro/express to get that side of things working.

hope that helps

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getPlayer.m3u?id=4836386&q=hi

__

03-01-2007 13:55 Homepage of 91db
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Ableton Live » live 5 & powerbook cpu probs