drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Sub-sub-sub bass related blackouts?
Go to the bottom of this page Sub-sub-sub bass related blackouts?
Author
Subwoofer on a Killing Spree

images/avatars/avatar-1457.jpg

Registration Date: 13-01-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

Wrong forum to start with I'll put it here :p

Ive recently bought these earphones with a huge frequency response (6hz to 23khz)
I was plugged into me pc speakers with em just listening to itunes on random and atomic buddah by techno animal started playing...

I don't know if this was just an unintentional artifact of the production or if this was deliberate, but for the first couple of seconds there was this sound and it was LOW, i mean really, really fucking low...

It musta fucked with the fluid in my ear used for balance cos i didnt know which was was up, went really dizzy and I felt like i was gonna black out...

IT WAS AWESOME Big Grin
well a lil bit scary, but I heard bass beyond anything ive ever heard before and i feel special :p

Anyone ever had a similar experience?

__
My Myspace
08-11-2006 21:53
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

what is the mark of those headphones?

Ive got techniks 1210es which have a 5hz-30khz response

Im gonna go now and check if you are bulshittin Wink

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
08-11-2006 22:12 Homepage of cynik
@1$-)
unregistered
lmao.

u still with us cynik?
08-11-2006 22:54
PLaGuE CeLL PLaGuE CeLL is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
what is the mark of those headphones?

Ive got techniks 1210es which have a 5hz-30khz response

Im gonna go now and check if you are bulshittin Wink

theyre creative labs ep-630 ear canal earphones
i listened to it again and it still makes me dizzy lol

__
My Myspace
08-11-2006 23:01
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

I think thats a load of crap they really go to 6hz

as for techniks too for that matter

prove me wrong

__
09-11-2006 10:31 Homepage of cynik
Soi Soi is a male
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

5hZ? 6hZ?

wahahaha... no such thing.....
i'm willing to believe that a decent subbass can be felt rather that heard, but even then we're talking about 30hZ-50hZ or something. But 5 or 6hZ??? come'on....
I think Plague Cell was listening a REAL shitty headphones/speakers before the Creative Lab's..

but in any case, welcome to the world of BASS... Big Grin

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
09-11-2006 14:43 Homepage of Soi
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

haha exactly

__
09-11-2006 15:38 Homepage of cynik
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

If you could here it, it probably wasn't anywhere under 30 to 40 Hz.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
09-11-2006 18:51 Homepage of djfreemc
PLaGuE CeLL PLaGuE CeLL is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Soi
5hZ? 6hZ?

wahahaha... no such thing.....
i'm willing to believe that a decent subbass can be felt rather that heard, but even then we're talking about 30hZ-50hZ or something. But 5 or 6hZ??? come'on....
I think Plague Cell was listening a REAL shitty headphones/speakers before the Creative Lab's..

but in any case, welcome to the world of BASS... Big Grin

It wasn't so much a note, it was more like this weird pressure and yer i went really dizzy... i dunno my music tech teacher says that people have been known to black out if the bass is the right frequency

__
My Myspace
09-11-2006 18:57
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

interesting Drummer
i'll do a search
09-11-2006 19:56
vALIEN vALIEN is a male

Registration Date: 09-11-2006

tell me those things cant produce 5 or 6 tones per second...(5hz or 6hz)

whether they can produce from 10-30hz is questionable...

__
------------------------
IM me: vALIEN ALIEN
------------------------
09-11-2006 23:17 Homepage of vALIEN
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

http://www.rotarywoofer.com/index.htm

Check it out. Its a rotary subwoofer which produces tones as low as 5 hz with enough force to moove a door.

I dont question that something can produce a 5 hz signal. But its more to do with how strongly it can produce that signal. Frequency responce so to speak. What seems likely to me is that the headphones can produce a 5hz signal, but at such a low level that its barely worth mentioning. More of an advertising thing I expect.
10-11-2006 00:26
gratingnny
Super Moderator

Registration Date: 10-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

Guys guys guys...

You can't classify anything below 20Hz as 'bass', not even as being 'sound'. Below 20Hz you are able to identify the different pulses, even at 20Hz you can already hear each waveform as quickly repeating pulses.

Take for example a 5Hz sound. Those are 5 full waves per second. So each wave takes up 200ms (0,2 seconds!!)

How to generate a 5Hz signal (compatible with even the most crappy speakers on the planet!):

- load a sample of a short snare
- put a delay on the sample of 200ms
- put the feedback of the delay to 100%
- play the sample once. 5Hz!! yay it sounds like somebody banging on a snare drum!?!

anything below 20Hz is not bass, it's just a rhythm.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by gratingnny: 10-11-2006 17:23.

10-11-2006 17:19
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

quote:
Originally posted by gratingnny
Guys guys guys...

You can't classify anything below 20Hz as 'bass', not even as being 'sound'. Below 20Hz you are able to identify the different pulses, even at 20Hz you can already hear each waveform as quickly repeating pulses.

Take for example a 5Hz sound. Those are 5 full waves per second. So each wave takes up 200ms (0,2 seconds!!)

How to generate a 5Hz signal (compatible with even the most crappy speakers on the planet!):

- load a sample of a short snare
- put a delay on the sample of 200ms
- put the feedback of the delay to 100%
- play the sample once. 5Hz!! yay it sounds like somebody banging on a snare drum!?!

anything below 20Hz is not bass, it's just a rhythm.

Total rubbish.

One snare sound consists of a whole series of positive and negative events. These events are what you see when you open a sound up in a wave editor like soundforge. Every time the line is above the middle point you get a positive effect which moves the speaker one way, everytime the line goes below the midpoint you get negative effect which moves the speaker the other way. With one snare sound there will be hundred of positive and negative effects which cause the speaker cone to vibrate in a certain way to replicate the original vibrations that the snare drum wouuld've made when originally recorded.

A 5hz signal would consist of 5 positive and 5 negative events. The wavelength would indeed me 200ms but this means that there would be 100ms between the speaker being pushed out and being pulled back in again. As oposed to the 100s of times in one snare drum hit.

The point isn't wheather something can produce those frequencies, most things can be vibrated at 5 hz. But how how well and with how much amplitude. Something at 30hz is just audiable but you feel the vibrations strongly because the the speaker creating that sound can produce it at a decent volume without falling to pieces. This is where frequency response comes from. When you buy a pair of speakers or headphones, even a mic, there will be a graph showing how well they can produce different freqencies using a fequncy over amplitude graph. A normal mid range monitor will drop away fairly drasticaly at the lower range of the spectrum. A sub will have no top end but a more substancial lower end. Mainly because of the size of the cone and contruction methods. Something large is easier to get vibrating at lower frequencies than something small.

Regarless of that. Something which could properly produce a sine wave at 5 hz at a good volume would not sound like individual clicks but would would probably shake the foundations of the building you where in. The reason you might hear clicks is either your using a square wave. Or you speaker is unable to reproduce that frequency at any decent volume, so you turn it up till its audiable which causes the cone to travel to its extremes and result in speaker clipping and distortion.
10-11-2006 19:30
Arkitekt Arkitekt is a male
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Registration Date: 13-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.82

GO TECH! nothing like shutting down a thread..

damn know it alls.

j/k Big Grin

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
10-11-2006 19:55 Homepage of Arkitekt
drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Sub-sub-sub bass related blackouts?