drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Drumnbass.be news » Changes to listen page
Go to the bottom of this page Changes to listen page
Author
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

I've changed the layout of the tunes table a bit, inserted a bit of empty space above and below the text and between the track title and the details. It looks clearer this way.

I've also fixed a bug that caused the details to appear behind the stars on Internet Explorer. This bug was already present for a couple of days but I didn't notice it because it didn't appear when I was logged in as administrator Roll Eyes

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
23-10-2006 16:15 Homepage of thechronic
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

And what the hell is wrong with that IE?! I mean, you constantly fix bugs for IE, is that browser that bad?!

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
24-10-2006 01:23 Homepage of Muad'Dib
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

Lol what planet are you from? Big Grin

Internet Explorer is every web programmer's nightmare, it does not conform to web standards, so basically you have to code everything twice, once for web standard browsers, and once for IE.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
24-10-2006 11:16 Homepage of thechronic
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
Lol what planet are you from? Big Grin

Internet Explorer is every web programmer's nightmare, it does not conform to web standards, so basically you have to code everything twice, once for web standard browsers, and once for IE.

yeah, and microsoft urges the developers to optimize their sites for the new version of IE

wtf. browsers are just tools for using websites not the other way around

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
24-10-2006 12:56 Homepage of cynik
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

IE is gayer than Graham norton

now that is very gay

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

25-10-2006 12:41 Homepage of D2o
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

jus had to say your signature picture fuckin cracks me up so much, find myself staring at it for ages everytime, where did you get it man?

__
My Sounds
25-10-2006 15:00
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

who me or cynik? Big Grin

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

25-10-2006 15:13 Homepage of D2o
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

quote:
Originally posted by Dj Jimmy C
who me or cynik? Big Grin

YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tongue

__
My Sounds
25-10-2006 15:45
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

Cynik asked me about the ratings today, as you probably have noticed most of the tracks are around the 3 point rating now, which might seem strange but is normal from a statistical view.

Here's the PM reply I sent to Cynik, it explains why this is happening:

quote:

-----Original Message-----
Date: 25-10-2006 12:40
To: thechronic
Subject: yo chron

[...]

whats going on with votes. is anyone flattening the ratings??

the best voted tracks are 3.5 and there is very little two starred tracks. majority is 3 stars and often when you listen to two same rated tunes (both with a lot of votes) you can notice light years quality difference.

[...]

-----Original Message-----
Date: 25-10-2006 15:26
To: cynik
Subject: yo chron

Hi,

it's working just as intended Smile The result are normal from a statistics point of view, most people will think that most tracks are average.

If you look at the ratings, the 'average average' track will have 2.5/5 points. Any tracks with 3 points and higher are seen by the average voter as a good track, while anything with two points and lower will be below average.

Something like 4 stars will be outstanding, and 4.5 or 5 stars will be nearly impossible to reach. This is typical of statistical data, check out the graph on this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Norma..._and_scales.gif

The middle line would be 2.5 points. This shows nicely what you see happening on the site too. According to statistics theory:
- 68% of the tracks will have between 2 or 3 stars
- 27% will have 1.5 or 3.5 stars
- only 5% will be 1 star or less, or 4 stars or more.

So basically you can expect 2.5 tracks out of 100 to reach 4 stars.

With the old system there were only 1 or 2 votes for most tracks, which does not give a good indication and gave much extremer ratings, you need a lot of votes for it to work, the more the better.

There are a few problems though:
- since most tracks will average out between 2 and 4 stars we are left with a loss of detail, since almost all tracks will be within the same range of 3 stars. Though statistically correct this makes it harder to identify average tracks from slightly better than average and slightly less than average tracks.
- people don't judge a 3.5 points track as a 'good' one

I could solve this by putting a sigmoid function (s-curve function) on the data, but this will take a lot of figuring out, I'm not a mathematician lol.

__
25-10-2006 18:49 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

I figured out the math behind the sigmoid S-curve function thanks to some really helpful articles on wikipedia Smile

In case you're interested the formula is:
code:
1:
$x = $a + $c / pow ( 1 + $t * exp( -$b * ( ( 2 * $i - $range ) - $m ) ), 1 / $t );

Thanks to this formula the statistical gaussian curve thing is more or less defeated. The function 'stretches' the range of data in the middle, so there will be more detail for votes around 3 points, and the other values are pushed more to the maximum values (see the graph).

The function has the most influence in the middle (3 points), so a side effect is that there will be very few tracks with exact 3 stars, most will have 2.5 or 3.5 stars, but that is actually what I'm trying to achieve Wink

Another side effect is that tracks that already have a very high or low rating will be pushed even further, but this will happen only to very few tracks I hope.

I did some tweaking on the parameters and came up with a function that is tailored to the ratings that were cast over the last 2 months.

The highest rated track of this period (camo - we got soul) had a rating of 3.61 points. After applying the function this will now have 4.5 stars instead of 3.5 stars.

I still have to code it in the listen page though. I will do that shortly.

thechronic has attached this image (reduced version):
dnbbesigmoidgraph.png

__
25-10-2006 19:07 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

OK I have put the function in the listen page. I've had to exclude the tracks from before September 5 with less than 3 votes from the calculation, or we ended up with nearly 500 tracks with 5 stars Roll Eyes

Now it looks a bit weird when you sort on rating, some tracks with fewer stars appear above tracks with more stars, but this will work itself out after some time when all tracks have 3 or more votes.

I'll still have to put it in the home page too, but that is for later tonight.

__
25-10-2006 19:41 Homepage of thechronic
broadside broadside is a male
mentalist

images/avatars/avatar-1818.jpg

Registration Date: 17-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

wow, i never would have imagined how complicated this programming shit seems to be. respect to the brainy chronic Big Grin
25-10-2006 23:15
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

Hehe 95% of web programming is simple and boring database stuff Smile

__
26-10-2006 00:09 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

OK the updated ratings are now also shown in the home page and the download / vote page.

__
26-10-2006 01:09 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
And what the hell is wrong with that IE?! I mean, you constantly fix bugs for IE, is that browser that bad?!

Here's a site that helped me a lot, providing workarounds for many of IE's annoying bugs:

http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer.html

__
29-10-2006 01:35 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

Recent changes to the listen page:
  • [DONE] replace [download] links by [exceeded download limit] for guest users that exceed their download limit
  • [DONE] put in a search function for producers and track names
  • [DONE] grey out [exceeded download limit] links
  • [DONE] change colour of visited links to purple
  • [DONE] when ordering by rating, leave out tracks that have less than 3 votes
  • [DONE] record the date and time a track has been played for the last time in a database for future use
  • [DONE] bugfix: adapt track count to sorting type - less tracks shown when sorting by ranking, now the last pages are empty
  • [DONE] database cleanup: remove all tracks of which the thread has been deleted

Most interesting change is the addition of a search engine! Check it out Big Grin

I've been craving it myself for a long time, the number of tracks has become too great to sift through manually, now it's quick and easy Smile

__
26-03-2007 17:16 Homepage of thechronic
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

You are smart enough to not show the "TO BE DONE" list ey? Devil

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
26-03-2007 18:21 Homepage of BattleDrone
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
You are smart enough to not show the "TO BE DONE" list ey? Devil

hehe I used to do that, but it is a bit useless since they are pretty long and change all the time. I got enough stuff in there to keep me busy for a couple of years Big Grin

As usual bug fixes get priority since they can be very annoying for some people.

__
26-03-2007 22:00 Homepage of thechronic
drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Drumnbass.be news » Changes to listen page