Author
mentalist

images/avatars/avatar-1818.jpg

Registration Date: 17-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

quote:
MUNKI C said:
i dont believe it takes any skill out of it. the principle of mixing is simple. but you still have to be able to select. some times tracks just dont work together. even if they are in time. you still have to have knowledge to be able to build a set.

well in fairness to vinyl users it sort of does . . . first off, it automatically figures out what bpm the track is and then at the click of the button sets them together at the right speed. doing that manually with your earphones and own fiar hands is not half so easy i would guess. secondly, it provides a visual representation of the track which means you don´t have to know your tunes half so well to be able to perfectly mix them etc.

as you said some tracks don´t work even if they are in time. but all the same, not having to beatmatch traditionally makes life soo much easier. eg, i dont even need a pair of headphjones to do a pretty good mix on tracktor imo.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by broadside: 25-10-2006 16:08.

25-10-2006 16:08
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

I'm with munki on this

everyone can master the skill of beatmatching. but there are loads of djs who just play the wrong tune at a wrong time

I don't mind a little drop out of beat if the mix is working as a whole

don't think youre cheating if you use what you can use

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
25-10-2006 16:16 Homepage of cynik
@1$-)
unregistered
ok cueing a record up with your hands/ears is difficult to start off with, but it becomes second nature after a little while. and most of the programs require you to make adjustments to fine tune a mix anyway. but like i said i know plenty of people who can beatmatch, actually picking the right tunes and picking the right place to mix it is where the skill lies for me. mind you if u can scratch then full an total respect for ya.

the only other thing is i view this music as quite "futuristic". and im well up for moving with the times. i dont think it bothers your average clubber what the djs using, as loong as their good.
25-10-2006 16:52
broadside broadside is a male
mentalist

images/avatars/avatar-1818.jpg

Registration Date: 17-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
i dont think it bothers your average clubber what the djs using, as loong as their good.

Absolutely. Certainly doesn´t bother me.
25-10-2006 23:13
dmccabe dmccabe is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1048.jpg

Registration Date: 20-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I WILL NEVER GIVE UP MY TECHS...... EVER!
That said, Brnger is an ok chioce for what you get. Ableton is pretty awesome but you have to be willing to put the time into "beat mapping" your tunes. I personally hope that the future of djing/
clubbing/parties does not leave the phonograph behind but alows it to "blend" right in as it seems to be now. It would be disappointing to see laptops or cdjs all the time. In the begining
sure, save your cash, test the waters. If you ever become manic about this stuff, I hope you see that these new technologies are cool and very usefull, Like a shiny new Smith & Wesson, but (to me)
my 1200s are like a samurai sword. And very seldom has anyone, that I know or can think of,
left thier decks behind once they knew how to use 'em.

__
SAVE THE SL1200

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by dmccabe: 03-02-2007 09:11.

03-02-2007 09:06
psymon psymon is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 20-10-2006

quote:
Originally posted by broadside
first off, it automatically figures out what bpm the track is and then at the click of the button sets them together at the right speed. doing that manually with your earphones and own fiar hands is not half so easy i would guess. secondly, it provides a visual representation of the track which means you don´t have to know your tunes half so well to be able to perfectly mix them etc.

as you said some tracks don´t work even if they are in time. but all the same, not having to beatmatch traditionally makes life soo much easier. eg, i dont even need a pair of headphjones to do a pretty good mix on tracktor imo.

Thats just cheating!!!! Only used that hercules dj thing and that is wank. If u cant afford vinyl get some pioneer cdj's, beauties
10-03-2007 14:42
Dephonix Dephonix is a female
Sexy Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2933.jpg

Registration Date: 21-03-2007

Helpfulness rating: 

lol the debate rages on every forum I go on.

DJ'ing is DJing. I use any format I can get my hands on.
Firstly It takes talent to master any mixing format.
And secondly, what good is a dj without good tune selection? We dont have software to select the correct tunes at the correct time. So until we do have automated robot dj's human beings still need talent to be a good dj.

Mixing isnt about turntablism, thats a seperate thing. To me it doesnt matter what format a dj is using along as they're playing tunes that are good to me.

__

DARK WAX RADIO

Aim Dennean2004

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Dephonix: 29-03-2007 15:12.

29-03-2007 15:11 Homepage of Dephonix
demolitionkid demolitionkid is a male
where's demo?

images/avatars/avatar-2248.jpg

Registration Date: 08-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 

i think everyone should learn to beat match on vinyl.its just a right of passage.and use what ever you can get.i love my vinyl and i love my mp3 collection too.i say bring a set of 15 vinyl records to perform with.if you need anything else bring mp3s to play with on a cdj or final scratch.
01-04-2007 07:29 Homepage of demolitionkid
cjstyles
Wicked Producer

Registration Date: 06-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

quote:
Originally posted by demolitionkid
i think everyone should learn to beat match on vinyl.its just a right of passage

Yea spot on. Everyone should learn to DJ with vinyl but nothing wrong with mixing half ur set with vinyl then slipping in some CDs as well. Most people are doing it these days.

Also what cynik said about people playing the wrong tune is absolutely true. Beatmatching is pretty easy but set creation and crowd reading are skills that come with practice. Thats what Djing is all about, making a crowd go wild with just your ability to select tunes and weave them into a seamless piece of music.

__
NexGen / Plush / Liquid Brilliants / LDNBmusic / Ambra

Paul SG - Hidden Smile (CJ Styles Remix) forthcoming Ambra

01-04-2007 14:05
GreatFisherCat
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2084.jpg

Registration Date: 21-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

What's your view on products like Stanton Final Scratch - where you use vinyl record containing a time code to control mp3's in a PC?

http://www.stantondj.com/v2/fs/mov/fs2_vid.mov

-Mikko
02-04-2007 08:10
tetsuo tetsuo is a male
Guiness factory

Registration Date: 26-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

Final scratch is the best IMO, but then only good for the tunrtable headz since you need the "real" thing to spin the MP3...

Anyway, started a thread about the different mp3 mixer available, have a look, can help for the choice!!!

what mp3 mixing midi controller?

I love the jog wheels, I am going for the vestax in a couple of months I think.

__
Yesterday' s futur is today!! Doped
02-04-2007 14:43
demolitionkid demolitionkid is a male
where's demo?

images/avatars/avatar-2248.jpg

Registration Date: 08-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by GreatFisherCat
What's your view on products like Stanton Final Scratch - where you use vinyl record containing a time code to control mp3's in a PC?

http://www.stantondj.com/v2/fs/mov/fs2_vid.mov

-Mikko

it hasent been used yet much.im arranging a nice ass laptop to set it up on so i can travel with it.its still sittin new in the box in the dj room.i will give you my opinion on final when i get a good chance to dive head 1st.
02-04-2007 15:57 Homepage of demolitionkid
GreatFisherCat
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by tetsuo
Final scratch is the best IMO, but then only good for the tunrtable headz since you need the "real" thing to spin the MP3...

I thought that was the point with the whole product Smile

They support CD players now too, though.

-Mikko
02-04-2007 20:52
tetsuo tetsuo is a male
Guiness factory

Helpfulness rating: 

well, yes and no... I would have loved 2 usb turntables ( direct drive of course while I'm at it...Smile that you could usb straight...

a compagny does this now, it is on my post....10 something,. but real expensive and you you need a mix table on top!!

Drummer

__
02-04-2007 23:20
GreatFisherCat
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by tetsuo
well, yes and no... I would have loved 2 usb turntables ( direct drive of course while I'm at it...Smile that you could usb straight...

a compagny does this now, it is on my post....10 something,. but real expensive and you you need a mix table on top!!

Drummer

Numark has USB compatible turn tables, but those are not direct drive. Not that they would be expensive either:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/numark_ttusb_bundle.htm

but I do not see the real use, sorry. because USB sound cards do not cost much nowdays, so you could just get few standard vinyl players, save like 100€ in comparison to those USB thingies, which would be enough for USB sound card.

Or grab this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gemini_ps_02_usb.htm

-Mikko
03-04-2007 09:18
tetsuo tetsuo is a male
Guiness factory

Helpfulness rating: 

totally agree with you.... I had interest on those first:

but then, I would rather have those now:

And that is the one i was talking about....XP10 there are called, and real good poo to me...Smile

what do you guys think? only thing, you need a seperate mixer... but no big deal...

enjoy.

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tetsuo: 03-04-2007 19:19.

03-04-2007 19:16
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJs & MCs » djing without vinyl