drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJs & MCs » djing without vinyl
Go to the bottom of this page djing without vinyl
Author
mentalist

images/avatars/avatar-1818.jpg

Registration Date: 17-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

ok lets not be luddites about it (history lesson, luddites were people who used to smash up agricultural machines cos it was putting them out of a job) tho im sure mp3 mixing is utter wank compared to what YOU do, i just want to know if anyone can recommend something like a hardware midi controller that i could use with Traktor?

i don´t take this seriously, but its good fun - a cheaper one would be awesome.

anyone feeling to highjack the thread to discuss why mixing with mp3s is gay or whatever, be my guest . . .
16-10-2006 16:50
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

there's that Hercules dj-console thing, costs about 150€ i guess, could be more cheaper, could be more expensive

or go for Allen&heath xone:3d? Big Grin

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
16-10-2006 17:40 Homepage of Friscko
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

get real decks

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

16-10-2006 19:19 Homepage of D2o
@1$-)
unregistered
i dunno about traktor. but the faderfox controller works well with ableton
16-10-2006 19:49
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

How about the Behringer BCD2000? It has more options than the hercules, comes with software, and doesn't cost much more. Or you could try the Ecler nuo4 together with ableton, if you want to spend some more cash.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
16-10-2006 20:37 Homepage of djfreemc
broadside broadside is a male
mentalist

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Dj Jimmy C
get real decks

yeah im 21, i fink i missed the boat on that one . . . plus real decks equals real vinyl, and im not MADE out of money, nor am i serious about my djing . . .

thanks for the suggeswtions am checking them out.
16-10-2006 22:16
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

You're working with Traktor? What do you think of it?

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
17-10-2006 02:52 Homepage of thechronic
Philthy McNasty Philthy McNasty is a male
Florida DnB Masta!

images/avatars/avatar-2723.jpg

Registration Date: 23-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
24 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.00

quote:
Originally posted by broadside
quote:
Originally posted by Dj Jimmy C
get real decks

yeah im 21, i fink i missed the boat on that one . . . plus real decks equals real vinyl, and im not MADE out of money, nor am i serious about my djing . . .

thanks for the suggeswtions am checking them out.

What does age have to do with buying real decks. When I was 17 I had the biggest piece of shit Geminis but I still spun and had fun and learned, and it made it all the much better when I got my Techs like 3 or 4 years ago, when i was 21. Go out and find some decent tables they dont have to be Techs or Vestax. You can find a decent set of Numarks or something like that to learn off of, and if it becomes a passion then spend the money to get the Tech 1200 or 1200mk2s, or go balls out and get the Vestax 2300mk2. I cant comment on PC DJ or mp3 dj stuff because I do think it is quite gay, but people seem to like it. So to each his own i guess. Oh yeah and on the subject of vinyl, not saying you can get the best stuff ever, but I have boughten atleast 5 bundles of 50 or more records on ebay for a lil over $1-$2 each, so thats not an issue money wise. Shit if you buy turntables Ill send you some of my records, they arent the best but you can learn how to really DJ. But if you are set on spinning mp3 or wav files that beringer BCD2000 looks pretty cool for the $220.00

__
http://www.myspace.com/philthydubbish
17-10-2006 05:25 Homepage of Philthy McNasty
mentalist

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
You're working with Traktor? What do you think of it?

Its wicked. To be honest, i haven´t worked with many other programs of its type, not even ableton live, but as far as playing a nice well mixed set, its really easy, and pretty impressive.

Of course, it does take like 99% of the skill out of the thing, but if the technologies there why not use it?

i´ve got the latest one too (3 I think) but having just got my eye in on number 2, I dont feel to move up just yet, particularly as it looks alot less user friendly. Its got four decks for example, but I don´t know what thats for . . . are you supposed to mis three tunes at a time, or is it for double drops or what? Maybe some dj out there could explain that shit to me . . .
17-10-2006 22:12
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

you dont have to use all deck at the same time Wink

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
17-10-2006 22:20 Homepage of Friscko
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

For other styles such as techno 4 decks are very nice.

Or you could put some basic loops or ambient sounds in the remaining decks for example.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
19-10-2006 02:09 Homepage of thechronic
sssonarrr sssonarrr is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1223.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

or you can become a legend like dj shadow and mix with 4 decks (real turntables in his performance)

but as i said, he's a legend

__
Bigup laborecordings
19-10-2006 16:40 Homepage of sssonarrr
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by sssonarrr
or you can become a legend like dj shadow and mix with 4 decks (real turntables in his performance)

but as i said, he's a legend

Cut la roc made it into the guiness record book a while ago by spinning on 20 decks at the same time...

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by djfreemc: 19-10-2006 19:14.

19-10-2006 19:14 Homepage of djfreemc
Within Reason
Tourist

Registration Date: 09-08-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 1.00

Traktor 3 is cool if you just want to mix for fun i think. Im upgrading from vinyl to cd decks soon Big Grin i think its the way forward, but thats just a matter of opinion....

__
The Official Website, Home of Re:Voltage Radio (Soon to be Re:Vamped)
Our Myspace
23-10-2006 02:17 Homepage of Within Reason
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Within Reasoni think its the way forward, but thats just a matter of opinion....

I agree, but as long as most "underground" music is only released on vinyl, there isn't much of a choice I think...

__
23-10-2006 20:12 Homepage of djfreemc
mentalist

Helpfulness rating: 

so what ARE the drawbacks of "spinning" wavs then? If cds r the future, why not wavs, aiff and mp3? Is it a sound quality issue, or what?
23-10-2006 21:04
@1$-)
unregistered
quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc

I agree, but as long as most "underground" music is only released on vinyl, there isn't much of a choice I think...

say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

have you been to any online record stores lately. jeez man do some research.
24-10-2006 18:53
@1$-)
unregistered
quote:

Of course, it does take like 99% of the skill out of the thing, but if the technologies there why not use it?

. .

i dont believe it takes any skill out of it. the principle of mixing is simple. but you still have to be able to select. some times tracks just dont work together. even if they are in time. you still have to have knowledge to be able to build a set.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by utter muppet: 24-10-2006 18:57.

24-10-2006 18:56
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
so what ARE the drawbacks of "spinning" wavs then? If cds r the future, why not wavs, aiff and mp3? Is it a sound quality issue, or what?

For the moment I think the interface, I still have to see a computer interface that lets you manipulate your music as easily and precisely as with a pair of decks/pro cd players and a mixer (except maybe finalscratch and the alikes, but then you still need decks and a mixer). But I do think that in the future that limitation will also disappear.

There is also a big matter of habit/culture/whatever you want to call it. For some reason a DJ spinning with cd's or a computer will still be considered to be less skilled or qualified than someone who is spinning with vinyl. In fact one can do a great set on pc, and a very lousy set using only vinyl, but still popular opinion will give the one who spins with vinyl more credit for some reason...

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

have you been to any online record stores lately. jeez man do some research.

I'm not saying there aren't a lot of cd's out there, but they will usually be released a few months after the 12"'s, wich is way too late if you want to be up to date as a dj. Also they are not so easy to find in real life record stores. Certainly outside of the UK you will only find the most wellknown artist's CD's.

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by djfreemc: 24-10-2006 19:28.

24-10-2006 19:27 Homepage of djfreemc
@1$-)
unregistered
quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc

I'm not saying there aren't a lot of cd's out there, but they will usually be released a few months after the 12"'s, wich is way too late if you want to be up to date as a dj. Also they are not so easy to find in real life record stores. Certainly outside of the UK you will only find the most wellknown artist's CD's.

well. we aint just talking cds r we.

mp3
24-10-2006 22:54
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJs & MCs » djing without vinyl