drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » removing vocals from music
Go to the bottom of this page removing vocals from music
Author

Registration Date: 26-10-2003

Hey,
I have all the tools i need, instruments, mics, software, except drums. so i cant make my own drum loops but i was wondering if anyone could help me with this: is there anyway to get drum loops off of existing songs, like turn down the voice and melody and bass and just have drums left? Please reply thanks!
26-10-2003 03:43 Homepage of platinumair
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

This is nearly impossible. There are some karaoke programs and processors that try to remove the voice from music but it doesn't work very well.

It's all a matter of the frequencies that are present in the signal. Drums take up the entire frequency spectrum, from very low frequencies (kick and floor tom) to very high frequencies (hihats and cymbals) and everything in between. Especially the snare drum has a very wide frequency spectrum since it resembles a noise burst. Basically there are no frequencies left which you can cut out.

To make things harder, the other instruments take up a lot of the frequency spectrum too. Especially the human voice has an incredible range, with frequencies starting below 60 Hz and going up to above 16 kHz. If you have to cut all that out there's nothing left of the drums...

You can be lucky though. There will be some occasions where the bass only consists of low frequencies (say below 300 Hz) so you can filter that out and replace the kick drum with a sample. It will still sound artificial though.

Your best bet is to find drum loops and single hits on sample CDs and sites. Or, what's even better, find a drummer, go into a studio and record your own! Big Grin

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
26-10-2003 10:39 Homepage of thechronic
Rha Rha is a female

images/avatars/avatar-27.gif

Registration Date: 16-02-2003

the thing you have to do is find an instrumental of the same song, layer it above the original at the exact same time, invert the soundwaves on one of them. This will cause the instruments to drop away because the inverted signal interferes with the original (+1 -1 = 0 ). Now you got the acapella, use the same technique (inverted soundwaves) to filter out the voice of the original track! Be cautious, the songs have to be synced exactly! Good luck trying!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Rha: 28-10-2003 16:54.

28-10-2003 16:50
Akura Akura is a male
Kletsenboem-style

images/avatars/avatar-291.gif

Registration Date: 06-04-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

quote:
Originally posted by Rha
the thing you have to do is find an instrumental of the same song...

LOL are you serious??

Say, if you have the instrumental version you won't be searching anymore to remove the vocals... Huh
Or did I just overlook something?? Confused Cool
28-10-2003 19:58
Rha Rha is a female

Well, i was serious, but high at the same time, so not *too* serious Pleased . Anyways, what i meant was the acapella of course..
28-10-2003 20:04
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

That's not called 'inverted soundwaves' Big Grin That's putting signals 'out of phase'. BTW it would never work since you can never align it properly, you would get heavy comb filtering, giving a very hollow sound.
+ an instrumental version of a song is not the same as the song with the vocals removed. It will always be mixed and mastered differently, and the use of compression alters the 'sound waves' completely when the vocals are gone.

Try it and you'll see Big Grin

If you have access to the original multitracks it would be possible ofcourse, but then you can use any track you need anyway Wink

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
28-10-2003 22:36 Homepage of thechronic
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Indeed. In theory it works, but it's virtually impossible to do.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

29-10-2003 00:03 Homepage of Surya
Rha Rha is a female

Well, I never tried it myself cuz indeed it looked kinda almost impossible, but i learnt about it on a blokes site who's done this many times, in fact he didn't do nothing but remixes (mostly dancehall I believe, i.e. 50cents 'in the club'). He also had a page with a tutorial explaining the principle so if you browse the net, ya might find him.

edit: here it is-> http://4trak.net/dsico/archives.html

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Rha: 29-10-2003 00:26.

29-10-2003 00:23
Qbit Qbit is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-159.gif

Registration Date: 14-11-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

i'd say.. get urself some acapella's
most tracks are out there on acapella. Let's help a lil': treat

__

Drop On Request
15-11-2003 13:17 Homepage of Qbit
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » removing vocals from music