drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » SoundFonts
Go to the bottom of this page SoundFonts
Author
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

So, can anyone provide me with a list of good soundfont sites? Ok, not good, but any soundfont sites are accepted Big Grin

Because I've found some googling, but I wonder what you have in your bookmarks.

Full stop.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
08-10-2006 04:57 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Scurf Scurf is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3070.jpg

Registration Date: 26-10-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Er... why would use sound fonts when you have wavs, aiff and other stuff Huh Huh Huh Huh
31-10-2006 15:57
oursvince

Registration Date: 03-11-2006

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
So, can anyone provide me with a list of good soundfont sites? Ok, not good, but any soundfont sites are accepted Big Grin

Because I've found some googling, but I wonder what you have in your bookmarks.

Full stop.

In my website, there's a free guitar soundfont:
http://vincentbernay.free.fr

__
Instrumental music and guitar sheet music download
Free samples and loops
Free sheet music
03-11-2006 22:34 Homepage of oursvince
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by Scurf
Er... why would use sound fonts when you have wavs, aiff and other stuff Huh Huh Huh Huh

you apparently dont know what a sound font is then...

for those who dont... theyre specific instruments recorded, and made into a file in which can be played at different notes...

so in a sense you et to play these instruments... the only downfall to this is that its hard to find relaly good ones, and even then sometimes they sound bad...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

04-11-2006 00:52
oursvince

Registration Date: 03-11-2006

I've released today the version 2.1 version of my free guitar soundfont with the following improvements:
overall envelop release increased and background noise of the samples removed... Smile

__
Instrumental music and guitar sheet music download
Free samples and loops
Free sheet music
05-11-2006 21:41 Homepage of oursvince
Scurf Scurf is a male
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
quote:

for those who dont... theyre specific instruments recorded, and made into a file in which can be played at different notes...

so in a sense you et to play these instruments... the only downfall to this is that its hard to find relaly good ones, and even then sometimes they sound bad...

Yes yes but can`t you do that with waws and other stuff Huh Huh
05-11-2006 22:57

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
quote:

waws?

wavs? well yea you can play waves... but a wav sample has a end to the sample.. you can play soundfonts liek you can vsti's... its all midi.. rather than just sampling...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

06-11-2006 06:21
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:

theres a huge difference in playing one sample accross octaves to playing a sound font in which every key has a sample of it's own

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
06-11-2006 08:54 Homepage of cynik
@1$-)
unregistered
how accurate are these?
i mean in terms of reproducing subtle nuances, yknow like flute trills for example

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by utter muppet: 06-11-2006 13:21.

06-11-2006 13:15
Scurf Scurf is a male
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:

waws?

wavs? well yea you can play waves... but a wav sample has a end to the sample.. you can play soundfonts liek you can vsti's... its all midi.. rather than just sampling...

Big Grin Big Grin Waws Big Grin

Never used before SoundFonts but from what you wrote it seems it is worth to use it Tongue Will try...
06-11-2006 13:24

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
how accurate are these?
i mean in terms of reproducing subtle nuances, yknow like flute trills for example

good soundfonts sound great... bad ones sound liek utter crap and do a bad job...

the msot common being in strings, choirs, and jazz sounds liek sax's etc... pianos are a big one too... lots of good sf out there for baby grands...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Surora23: 06-11-2006 22:32.

06-11-2006 22:32
gls
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

quote:
but a wav sample has a end to the sample.. you can play soundfonts liek you can vsti's... its all midi.. rather than just sampling...

quote:
theres a huge difference in playing one sample accross octaves to playing a sound font in which every key has a sample of it's own

Have neither of you heard of looping or multisampling? A soundfont is basically the same as a bunch of multisampled and looped wavs.

quote:
SoundFont technology is akin to software sampling. A SoundFont file contains one or more banks of sampled audio data, which can be re-synthesized at different pitches and dynamic levels. Each sample in a bank is associated with a particular range of pitches and dynamics. Generally speaking, the quality of a SoundFont bank is a function of the quality of the digital samples and the intelligent association of samples with their appropriate pitch ranges. Quality is also dependent on the number of samples taken for a given range of pitches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoundFont

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampler_%28...l_instrument%29
07-11-2006 13:28
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by gls
quote:
but a wav sample has a end to the sample.. you can play soundfonts liek you can vsti's... its all midi.. rather than just sampling...

quote:

Have neither of you heard of looping or multisampling? A soundfont is basically the same as a bunch of multisampled and looped wavs.

er..ok ??

duh. who are you correcting here?

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
07-11-2006 13:30 Homepage of cynik
gls
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
quote:
Originally posted by gls
quote:

quote:

er..ok ??

duh. who are you correcting here?

Both of you, I couldn't be bothered saying it twice. Big Grin
07-11-2006 13:31
Scurf Scurf is a male
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by gls

Er... I think you havent understodd the general talk. Me and Surora23 were talking about multisampling, but I think that Surora pointed out that using SoundFonts you don`t have to bother with multisampling... SoundFonts have rather great posibility...
07-11-2006 13:51
gls
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gls

Er... I think you havent understodd the general talk. Me and Surora23 were talking about multisampling, but I think that Surora pointed out that using SoundFonts you don`t have to bother with multisampling... SoundFonts have rather great posibility...

I think I understood it ok. Surura said "a wav sample has a end to the sample", which is true but so does a soundfont, someone wasn't playing the sound for infinity, its just a sampled and looped sound.. and not all of them are looped either you can get plenty of drum hits etc. which stop when they get to the end of the sampled sound. The only reason you don't have to bother with multi sampling and looping is because its already been done for you with a soundfont, and imho it cannot have "rather great possibilities" compared to properly multi sampled and looped wavs because they're essentially the same thing.

Maybe I'm wrong though, its been known before, perhaps someone could explain the difference to me.. I do know its not all midi though. Big Grin
07-11-2006 14:59
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » SoundFonts