drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Drumnbass.be news » The new voting system is here!!
Go to the bottom of this page The new voting system is here!!
Author
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

There is a new feature on the site to calculate better ratings for the tunes: the all new voting system Bigup

In the past people could vote by using the forum's built in thread rating, but often people got carried away and gave the maximum vote for very average sounding tracks which were not worthy of being released.

The new system takes many aspects of the production into account, with clear (?) explanations of every possible rating. It takes some more effort to cast a vote but this will make the ratings much more accurate.

There are three different votes, according to your status in this site:
- guests can cast 1 overall vote. Guest votes count for 1/6th of the total.
- registered members can cast a vote on 5 different aspects of the track, and count for 2/6th.
- producers can cast a vote on 10 detailed aspects, which takes quite some time but counts for 3/6th of the total.

The system uses median calculations instead of simply calculating the average, so votes that are out of line (ie much higher or much lower than the other votes) are not taken into account for the calculation of the end result.

I have converted the old forum type votes to guest votes, so the ratings are not lost, but if you want to you can recast all your previous votes using the new system Wink

Casting the votes is simple, just click on the [vote] link in the listen page or home page, click on your choices and click 'submit'.

I'm very proud of this, and it has been in the making for a very long time (first announced in september 2004 Shocked ), but I finally got round to it and spent practically all my spare time on it over the past 3 weeks.

It still needs some tweaking and a few bug fixes though. If you have any suggestions on the way it works or corrections on my poor use of the english language, or you find some problems, or anything else that might improve it, please post it here!

Now go and try it, I hope you like it Big Grin

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
05-09-2006 20:09 Homepage of thechronic
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

Bigup

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
05-09-2006 20:18 Homepage of Friscko
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

sounds sweet chronic Bigup

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

05-09-2006 20:49 Homepage of D2o
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Drummer Woot Drummer

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
06-09-2006 04:52 Homepage of Muad'Dib
lokius
Producer

Registration Date: 15-08-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

I think the producers should be able to see the votes on their own tracks... would help me thinks
06-09-2006 17:16 Homepage of lokius
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by lokius
I think the producers should be able to see the votes on their own tracks... would help me thinks

That is planned for the future.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
06-09-2006 17:48 Homepage of thechronic
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

nice one chron

biggups!!! Drummer Drummer Drummer

__
My Sounds
06-09-2006 18:54
equipped equipped is a male
tired

images/avatars/avatar-2339.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
22 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.23

nice one Chronic,..will try n get in the habit of voting again,...you shure made it a shitload easier,..just have to get the hang of the poo and im good to go,....anyway,..well done on sortn the voting Chronic,..you da man. Evil

__
Space

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by equipped: 07-09-2006 10:27.

07-09-2006 10:26
baz baz is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1379.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
23 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.96

sick ; surpasses the previous one by far ;
nice work ;altough i still think there shouldn't be ratings at all Big Grin

__
"shotgun ; slammin in yo chestpiece ; blaw"
07-09-2006 16:08 Homepage of baz
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinaly Smile Bigup

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

10-09-2006 11:54 Homepage of Surya
anf0 D anf0 D is a male
CXNT

images/avatars/avatar-1601.jpg

Registration Date: 31-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
16 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

nice one...
but just as a suggestion, i think 10 questions is abit much to think about. maybe have 3 or 4 hehe
overall production
overall sound
arrangment
and what not.
just an idea

__
[R] CentaSpike :: Tracks
17-09-2006 11:59 Homepage of anf0 D
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

whoa!! great news. I just came back and what do I see.

full respect thechronic! Bigup

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
19-09-2006 01:01 Homepage of cynik
Arkitekt Arkitekt is a male
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Registration Date: 13-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.82

just reviewed a couple of tracks and voted along with it.. i like the voting system.. adn the extended producer points, work really good. they cover a lot of the things that a lot of ppl comment about..

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
19-09-2006 02:46 Homepage of Arkitekt
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by anf0 D
nice one...
but just as a suggestion, i think 10 questions is abit much to think about. maybe have 3 or 4 hehe
overall production
overall sound
arrangment
and what not.
just an idea

We have a 5-aspect vote for people who registered but have no producer rights, I can make this a choice for producers too.

I still need to iron out some bugs first though.

__
19-09-2006 10:33 Homepage of thechronic
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

it seems you can vote multiple times. but not once for yourself (I had to try just to see the message Devil )

the 'originality' and 'shake factor' seem to disable each other; I can't place a vote in both fields as it's taken away by the other

_edit: forgot to say I'm using the freshest Firefox

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by cynik: 19-09-2006 21:07.

19-09-2006 20:31 Homepage of cynik
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
it seems you can vote multiple times. but not once for yourself (I had to try just to see the message Devil )

When you vote a second time you can adjust your previous vote. If you look closely you'll see that your previous vote is already filled in Smile

I still have to put a message up for that though.

quote:
the 'originality' and 'shake factor' seem to disable each other; I can't place a vote in both fields as it's taken away by the other

OK that's possible, I changed the internal workings of the page today to fix some bugs, I did a lot of copy/paste so I probably forgot to change something, i'll look into it!

__
20-09-2006 00:13 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic

quote:

OK that's possible, I changed the internal workings of the page today to fix some bugs, I did a lot of copy/paste so I probably forgot to change something, i'll look into it!

Fixed Smile Stupid copy/paste!! My Mistake

__
20-09-2006 00:27 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

I have done a lot of work to the voting system after it went live. Here's a list of changes that have been made in the past two weeks:

• [DONE] bugfix: when you cast a vote as a guest, then log in, then use the browser's back button to move back to the vote page and recast the vote all aspects except 'overall' are set to 0
  • [DONE] bugfix: html codes show up in the title (eg Your rating for lead:end - trapped""final" )
  • [DONE] do not round off the rating when stored in the track database, this allows for more precise sorting of top lists and the use of half stars when displaying the rating.
  • [DONE] put a link to the vote page in the message that is put at the top of the thread that is generated in the listen page after uploading a new track
  • [DONE] recode the whole page to use a page rendering class instead of inline HTML
  • [DONE] validate generated HTML code as HTML 4.01 Strict (a small bug remains, the form class generates an empty <b></b> tag, not worth it to spend a long time to figure this out)
  • [DONE] bugfix: if you clear the radio buttons using javascript or a tool such as the Web Developer addon for Firefox and submit the form it is counted as a 0 points vote
  • [DONE] bugfix: the fix for the empty radio buttons caused a red star to appear before every radio button
  • [DONE] make sure error messages for empty fields are only listed once
  • [DONE] put in error messages for every used query
  • [DONE] suppress '* denotes required field' message

__
20-09-2006 00:35 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

And a list of stuff that is planned:

TO DO:

top priority:
  • remove the welcome text after voting
  • show links to reviews and vote page in the 'vote for these tracks' list in the vote page
  • clean up and streamline code
  • put a check in the code for the validity of the vote values before submitting them to the database as a failsafe for eventual future bugs. A previous bug caused 4 votes to be entered with '0' for shake factor

next up in no particular order:
  • make a page where every producer can see the number of votes for their tracks
  • allow users to choose between 1/5/10 aspect votes
  • make a system so every user's 1/5/10 aspect preference is remembered (should do the same for eg the # of tracks in the listen page etc)
  • rework the page so that it is shown when casting a revote
  • when a track is downloaded, show the vote page automatically
  • use half stars when showing the rating for a track to make a difference between e.g 3.6/5 and 4.3/5 points
  • send an email to me automatically when any database query fails to track eventual leftover bugs
  • the form class generates an empty <b></b> tag
  • change form layout, make it a big more airy, bigger margins on headers, bigger spaces between texts

__
20-09-2006 00:42 Homepage of thechronic
anf0 D anf0 D is a male
CXNT

images/avatars/avatar-1601.jpg

Registration Date: 31-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
16 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

keep up the good work chronic Bigup

__
[R] CentaSpike :: Tracks
20-09-2006 02:15 Homepage of anf0 D
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Drumnbass.be news » The new voting system is here!!