drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJs & MCs » Mc-ing; Suggestions from the Crowd?
Go to the bottom of this page Mc-ing; Suggestions from the Crowd?
Author
Steppa

Registration Date: 28-04-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

K, now that we's warmed up on the mc-thingy, time for a new question; "What should an mc do on a stage to be a good mc"

We all know the basics; shut up from time to time, let the music breed, work together with the dj, get the crowd involved,... But is there anything that most mc's don't do, that would give the mix up that little bit extra? Any suggestions?

__
www.dedkob.com
13-10-2003 21:03
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

I think you're doing great. You do let the music breed, and you do shut up from time to time.

These where the things I was going to say as suggestions, but I know you don't need that anymore.

Maybe one thing, but this isn't really part of the job of an MC, and probably hard to do anyway, since you are listening to the monirots instead of the speakers but I'll say it anyway: watch the volume!!! Very often the MC is just too loud and it really annoys me when I can't hear the music, but only the MC.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

13-10-2003 22:14 Homepage of Surya
Don-E-Fresh Don-E-Fresh is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-82.gif

Registration Date: 16-07-2003

take your dick out and swing that willy

you'll never hear a crowd rinse out harder

female emcee's... well they know what to do Big Grin

nah just do what you need to do, wa ever that is.

__
All for one and breakz for all
13-10-2003 22:53
Mc D.O.C.
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
I think you're doing great. You do let the music breed, and you do shut up from time to time.

These where the things I was going to say as suggestions, but I know you don't need that anymore.

Maybe one thing, but this isn't really part of the job of an MC, and probably hard to do anyway, since you are listening to the monirots instead of the speakers but I'll say it anyway: watch the volume!!! Very often the MC is just too loud and it really annoys me when I can't hear the music, but only the MC.

Thnx for the feedback; but I mean really new stuff in generale; maybe more ... euhm... naming topics what an mc should use/touch, what would make you feel connected with what an mc is doing...

__
www.dedkob.com
14-10-2003 02:08
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

To make it really tough you could let the crowd chose a couple of topics which you have to make up a rhyme to Big Grin
I did a show in the summer with a rapper who made it even harder... he let the people write random words on pieces of paper and adapted his rhymes to the words!!

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
14-10-2003 03:20 Homepage of thechronic
Mc D.O.C.
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

Nice one; it s a bit like `Supernatural`. He asks the crowd to pass him some objects while rhymin` and he freestyles about it...

__
www.dedkob.com
14-10-2003 10:32
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

quote:
Originally posted by Mc D.O.C.
Nice one; it s a bit like `Supernatural`. He asks the crowd to pass him some objects while rhymin` and he freestyles about it...

yes that just rules!

maybe some mc battles on dnb Big Grin always nice to watch 'n enjoy!

cheerz

__

14-10-2003 11:19 Homepage of Emblem-X
Mc D.O.C.
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Emblem-X
quote:

yes that just rules!

cheerz

Battles are ok I guess, but who`s gonna take on who? On top of that we`s mostley talking about unity, not about shutting each other out... Still, I might be in for such a thing; as long as the music remains the basic element> Don t wanna be standing in some kinda boxing ring with a bunch of mc` screaming all over... And as long it remains a lyrical war, no attitude/fysical thing, it s all good!

__
www.dedkob.com
14-10-2003 11:35
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Call it a Jam instead of a Battle and the whole vibe is different Wink

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
14-10-2003 13:06 Homepage of thechronic
Mc D.O.C.
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

A jam...k< So some kinda Mc convention then? Do you think Belgium is ready for such events? I think it might change the opinion on mc in a wrong direction... like the mc conventions in the uk >>> some think its one step to far; to much attention on the mc`s...

__
www.dedkob.com

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Mc D.O.C.: 14-10-2003 13:11.

14-10-2003 13:11
Scion Scion is a male
The Noize Squad

images/avatars/avatar-139.gif

Registration Date: 03-03-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

If I go to a party with an MC I want to see that the MC is enjoying himself as much as the crowd, bumping around and showing everyone that he really digs the music, dancing and bumping around, that makes me go Banana . Having fun is 'aanstekelijk' I always say Big Grin

__
Power to the peaceful
16-10-2003 20:29
Cool Producer

don't like the idea of MC battle's or jams

brings to much focus on the mc and at the end of the day we're there for the music

the music is to intense to battle over.

Cause most of the time you only understand half (and often less) of what the mc's saying.

Havin mc's to boost the vibe is wicked and all but leave it at that!

sumtin I wouldn't mind are more track id's : like saying this is the Hive tune out on .......

or stuff like : yo everybody buy donny a drink

__
16-10-2003 22:28
Scion Scion is a male
The Noize Squad

images/avatars/avatar-139.gif

Registration Date: 03-03-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by Don-E-Fresh
or stuff like : yo everybody buy donny a drink

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

__
Power to the peaceful
16-10-2003 22:51
Pablex Pablex is a male
Massive Junglism

images/avatars/avatar-239.jpg

Registration Date: 20-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

quote:
Originally posted by Don-E-Fresh
yo everybody buy donny a drink

and everybody going
"BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!"

__

16-10-2003 23:45
Kenshee Kenshee is a male
-=PAYBACK=-

images/avatars/avatar-155.gif

Registration Date: 23-09-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.50

Interact with the crowd like

"when I say GOD" you say "kenshee" Tongue

GOD
KENSHEE
Cool

nah don't know , more than the basics you announced already there ain't much you can do extra, a good mc knows all the stuff me thinks - it's not you have to give an erotic show or something. A thing not to do imho is start singing, heard some mc's do that lately, even mc's I really dig.

I think you're doing a good job, keep it that way

__
http://www.payback.be
http://www.kenshee.be

discogs list
19-10-2003 17:01 Homepage of Kenshee
Pablex Pablex is a male
Massive Junglism

images/avatars/avatar-239.jpg

Registration Date: 20-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

quote:
Originally posted by Emblem-X
quote:

yes that just rules!

cheerz

i tought about that on the first massive junglism but didn't do it anyway
cause if it would be like that i don't think it'd matter who's dj'ing anyway i prefer to ask a dj who brings his mc

that might be harsh for mc's who don't know any dj's but i'm always open for suggestions,waiting on a mc'ing tape from a girl from my school cause some of her mates want to do a party

edit:soz for the offtopic

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Pablex: 19-10-2003 17:36.

19-10-2003 17:36
Cool Producer

quote:
Originally posted by Kenshee
. A thing not to do imho is start singing, heard some mc's do that lately, even mc's I really dig.

If you can sing and got the right voice it's dope.

And do it over just any record!!

__
19-10-2003 17:55
PrinZ PrinZ is a male
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 01-09-2003

only one thing; when the record already contains a vocal don't start ryming over that vocal. I have some mixes with mc's like skiba and mc eksman, and when the dj spins a record like original nuttah, the mc tries the overclass the vocal with his own lyrics Noo
21-10-2003 15:28
Mc D.O.C.
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by PrinZ
only one thing; when the record already contains a vocal don't start ryming over that vocal. I have some mixes with mc's like skiba and mc eksman, and when the dj spins a record like original nuttah, the mc tries the overclass the vocal with his own lyrics Noo

That's like rule nr one next to "know when to shut up" & "Mind the mixes" ... but I gots to admit; sometimes a vocal can pop up in the middle of a rhyme... then all you can do is, get out of it as soon as possible... same with the mix up... A good mc should know 'most' of the tunes, but even then you might end up in the mix or over a vocal. But when it's already there: don't jump it!

__
www.dedkob.com
21-10-2003 16:24
PrinZ PrinZ is a male
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 01-09-2003

someone gave me a toy a few days ago, some kind of megafoon with all different kind of voices in it, it has an alien voice, and a robot voice and some other voice i forgot.Well, this toy have me an idea Big Grin i placed the toy behind the mic, switched it on to robot voice and began to mc (not really mc but just saying cool words ,y'all know Roll Eyes ), first i was having fun, but i began to use this voice to give the music an new dimention, wich worked out quite nice Big Grin .
So my suggestion; you could use these toys or echoboxes, flange,etc... ,and begin experimenting with it and eventually become an digital manipulated mc Wink
21-10-2003 19:12
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next »
drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJs & MCs » Mc-ing; Suggestions from the Crowd?