drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Chopping Breaks
Go to the bottom of this page Chopping Breaks
Author
Tryptech

Registration Date: 16-08-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.63

Jooo,

How do you chop breaks, I have made an audio clip of one of my breaks. Now i want to use it in a song, but I cant get in right. It wont fit together.

Thanks

__
ANALOGUE (Tryptech)

19-08-2006 13:14 Homepage of tryptech
Philthy McNasty Philthy McNasty is a male
Florida DnB Masta!

images/avatars/avatar-2723.jpg

Registration Date: 23-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
24 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.00

Give it to me, and tell me what you want done to it and I will slice and dice that thing like an Japanese chef Drummer <with knives instead of drumsticks. You use FL6 right? If you do I cant help. Unless you sent it to me and told me what you wanted done to it then I could do it and send it back.

__
http://www.myspace.com/philthydubbish
19-08-2006 17:49 Homepage of Philthy McNasty
hardplnsdrftr hardplnsdrftr is a male
Streetcleaner

Registration Date: 07-03-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

If you have recycle (which you should get if you dont have it), turn the sensitivity slider until you have an individual slice from ech drum hit. That way you can rearrangew the drum hits any way you like. You can also export the hits as a midi file, which is really useful for layering individual hits.

You can chop breaks manually, but it's a lot harder.

You can also slice them in Kontakt (2) using the beat slicer, or in Cubase using the hitpoint detector.

Recycle is easiest and best way (IMO), well worth the price.

__
"Trouble is the common denominator of living. It is the great equalizer."
Søren Kierkegaard

http://www.myspace.com/hardplainsdrifter
19-08-2006 19:11 Homepage of hardplnsdrftr
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

where is the hitpoint detector in cubase?

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
19-08-2006 19:47
tryptech tryptech is a male
Tryptech

Helpfulness rating: 

Thanks guys

I think fruity loops contains a chopper. I'm going to read some help files on the internet. I was just asking what everybody meaned with chopping up beats. Cooleditpro works olso quite good I think, isnt it.
Thanks.

__
ANALOGUE (Tryptech)

20-08-2006 02:16 Homepage of tryptech
Tryptech

Helpfulness rating: 

I just want to understand it and be able to do it myself. I dont want to steal some breaks of other people, whick everybody uses. I want my one shit. Thanks for your proposition.

__
ANALOGUE (Tryptech)

20-08-2006 02:18 Homepage of tryptech
baz baz is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1379.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
23 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.96

in fl6 u go-----> channel -------> add one -------> fruity slicer
then load a drumloop to the slicer an open the piano roll editor
u'll see keys there that are called slice #1 / slice#2 ...
then create ur drumz with it
hope this helps ; not sure if it does cuz i'm kinda wasted an tired atm
cheerz Spliff

__
"shotgun ; slammin in yo chestpiece ; blaw"
20-08-2006 13:53 Homepage of baz
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Yup, FruitySlicer is Fruity's chopper.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
20-08-2006 15:32 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Tryptech

Helpfulness rating: 

Thanks baz
I hope I can do it
Thanks

__
ANALOGUE (Tryptech)

20-08-2006 17:16 Homepage of tryptech
32skins 32skins is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 12-06-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

taken from breakbeat.co.uk forum, it was posted by subsurface

Part 1 - Cutting and Quantization

For this part of the tutorial you will need:

FL Studio version 4 +
Soundforge or Wavelab
Some round ended scissors

So, basically what i'm doing is taking an old 70s funk break and cutting it into individual hits, so that we can load the break into the Piano Roll in FL and re-arrange the hits into patterns. This is the foundation of Jungle/Drum & Bass, and how it originally came about as a genre in the 90s. this is what the guys were going back then, only they were using old Akai samplers rather than software. anyway, im sure you know all this

For this example i'm using the 'Funky Mule' break. you can download funk breaks all over the net. A good place to start is the Bourbon Breaks Site. You can find the Funky Mule there, and all the other classic jungle breaks. (in their original funk break form)

Right ok, load up a break in Soundforge. Here i've opened 'ike&tinaturner_funkymule1_fromalbumcd.wav' from the Bourbon Breaks site. You need to ideally cut the break into bars. This will make it a lot easier later so its worth doing.
Here ive cut out the first 2 bars from the break and made sure they 'loop' in time. Image below:

Now, you don't have to do this but at this stage i Normalise the break to 0dB to maximise the loudness of it. Doing this isnt changing the dynamics or compressing the break of anything, you are just raising the volume to the loudest point before you load it into the sampler.
Ok, so now you want to select the slice points with the 'Marker' tool. Just hit the 'm' key on the keyboard to add one into place. You'll need to listen through and pick out the hits. Its pretty easy to do really. Just find the start of a hit, zoom in until you see the waveform start at the centre line.

Continue to zoom until you can clearly see the start of the hit, where it meets the line in the middle. add a marker and keep moving along until youve done the whole thing. you need to put one at the very start aswell. this might seem like a pain in the arse compared to chucking it in recycle or letting the FL slicer cut for you.... but you only have to do this once with a break, as you can save the file again with the markers added. Doing it manually is more accurate in my opinion aswell.

Load up FL Studio and add a FL Slicer. (Go to Channels and then 'Add one')
Make sure you are at D&B tempo before you open the sample to prevent it from stretching the hits.
Click the second button in: 'load up and slice sample', and choose the break with the markers added. The slicer doesnt always recognise the tempo correctly, so you might need to specify the number of beats you have loaded. 4 beats to a bar, so you'll need to select 8 bars here. As you can see it was on 12 beats at 200 bpm which obviously isnt right.

ok, now the midi data should be loaded into the Piano Roll. Each block in the Piano Roll represents a slice that you marked in Soundforge. (stating the obvious really, but im trying to make sure the noobs understand)
This is the unquantized midi data; the orginal groove of the break. As you can see the timing is off as this is live drumming, so we'll need to tighten it up to make the break more 'mixable' for the DJ, and it also means you can layer multiple breaks without the timing creating problems. Pic Below:

Quantization allows to to add a different groove to the break using groove templates. Here we just want to tighten up the hits. Select the midi data using the select tool (duh) and go to the top left of the Piano Roll, go to tools, then quantize. Pic below:

Here you have a number of parameters. You can load in groove temples here. To be honest ive never used them, so dont ask me about em
you want the Sensitivity control to adjust the tightness. Sometimes i go for a slightly looser feel but most of the time make the hits as tight as possible. It depends on the break you're using. For example, if you were working with theThink Break, too much quantization ruins the flow of the break. you might need to just quantise the main snares, or whatever works. Here ive just straight quantized. You can see the hits are directly on the 16ths. Pic Below:

Then come the creative part, re-arranging the hits into a drum pattern. Below, i've just made a basic 2-step break. you could have just made the same pattern with single kicks, snare and hi-hats, but this sounds much more dynamic and keeps the 'funk'.

part 2 can be foun here:http://forum.breakbeat.co.uk/tm.asp?m=1967773558

__

21-08-2006 11:32 Homepage of 32skins
gls
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

Another way to chop beats in fl is to press file/import/beat to slice, select the break you want to slice and choose where to save the slices to and it'll open a new project (or add to the current one) with all the slices in either a layered sampler channel, sampler channels or the slicer.

Be warned that the shift wil change when using sampler channels so you might want to change it back or the hits might not be in time.
21-08-2006 13:44
baz baz is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1379.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
23 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.96

quote:
Originally posted by gls
Another way to chop beats in fl is to press file/import/beat to slice, select the break you want to slice and choose where to save the slices to and it'll open a new project (or add to the current one) with all the slices in either a layered sampler channel, sampler channels or the slicer.

Be warned that the shift wil change when using sampler channels so you might want to change it back or the hits might not be in time.

damn thats handy
nice tip Bigup

__
"shotgun ; slammin in yo chestpiece ; blaw"
21-08-2006 16:09 Homepage of baz
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by s-pact
taken from breakbeat.co.uk forum, it was posted by subsurface

Nice text, thanx !

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
21-08-2006 17:32 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

I always cut my samples manually in wavelab, I like maximum control over them.

__

21-08-2006 19:04 Homepage of Emblem-X
PLaGuE CeLL PLaGuE CeLL is a male
Subwoofer on a Killing Spree

images/avatars/avatar-1457.jpg

Registration Date: 13-01-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

I have come to the conclusion that i am a very sketchy chopper :p i manually chop the soundwave into sections 4,8,16 etc.... and arrange them to whats happening in my head :p same result but more time consuming...

__
My Myspace
21-08-2006 23:50
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Chopping Breaks