drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJs & MCs » Tips on MCing
Go to the bottom of this page Tips on MCing 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Hmmm, yeah, a bit... so more tips now Big Grin

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

26-08-2004 13:34 Homepage of Surya
Soi Soi is a male
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc
An d'nb MC that hasn't been mentioned here is Saul Williams, in fact I only know he did the vocals on Krust's "Coded Language", but I love that track & he sounds like a good MC. Dynamite rocks! Seen him I think about 3 or 4 times now, and he can make the crowd just explode, what's in a name ha?

Indeed, Saul Williams is the bomb!! I don't think he's into mc'ing over drum'n'bass that much, but, boy, do i wish he did! He's poetic, raw, gentle, uncompromising, and delivers metophoricly masked truths.

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
26-08-2004 14:48 Homepage of Soi
FREEK
Tourist

Registration Date: 01-09-2004

THE golden tip for a mc is: know when you have to shut your fucking mouth, and dont sing with lyrics that you here in the tune thats playing. Smile )

after that work on your timing and absolutly dont say more than 3 times the same thing.
06-09-2004 17:10
AcidMonkey AcidMonkey is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-358.jpg

Registration Date: 01-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by FREEK
THE golden tip for a mc is: know when you have to shut your fucking mouth, and dont sing with lyrics that you here in the tune thats playing. Smile )

after that work on your timing and absolutly dont say more than 3 times the same thing.

I totally agree. Not too concerned with repetition/building on lyrics in the song but when MCs start doing their thing over the top of different lyrics in the song that just annoys the hell out of me.

A basic understanding of musical structure also helps - i.e. 4/4 (four bars of 4 beats) - coming in and out at the right times, helping to build a vibe on the buildup.
Bigup
06-09-2004 18:06
tommy87 tommy87 is a male
Producer

Registration Date: 15-05-2004

quote:
Originally posted by lotus

the funniest flow i ever heard was from an mc on a one nation tape from back in 1995 (never found out who it was though) making rhymes about football matches - including loadsa names of italian footballers and stuff, i giggled soooo much!

Its shabba d, ive got that mix and i've also got one he did on cool fm wayyyy back in 95 wiv skibbade. There's this mc in my area thats a science lecturer or some shit and he can do the whole periodic table! Its nuts!!
27-10-2004 11:19
lotus lotus is a female
Sexy Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-355.gif

Registration Date: 10-08-2003

hahahh that's wicked! when jamalski came over, i asked him what kind of food he liked and he did some very entertaining flows about different kinds of vegetables... i never knew there were so many words that rhyme with broccoli
LOL Big Grin

__
http://www.hydra-breaks.net
27-10-2004 11:39 Homepage of lotus
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

ROFL

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

27-10-2004 11:40 Homepage of Surya
Fuera Fuera is a male

Registration Date: 26-10-2004

Hi, I'm Fuera, a knew kid in tow Smile I've always loved dnb and well I also enjoy to bust som lyrics but more in the hip hop genre....Now the thing is I lived for 7 years in Guatemala ( I'm actually half Belg and half Guetamalteek) Big Grin And when I came here well we always go with some friends to dnb parties, etc... Maybe u know one DJ Jett from presurrelab.com
Well for the fun I started singing some lyrics from hip hop and mixing them into dnb, my friend heard me and he liked it and he said well we should try it sometimes....the only thing is my lyrics are in spanish!!! I haven't heard a spanish mc so I don't know if this is gonna work....I'm just starting to write more lyrics n as a rookie I'd wonder if anybody got some good tips for me....???? My first party to mc is soulscan somwhere in november Shocked I'm really nervous about it but I'll try n see if it goes well.....So anybody...please....enlighten me Big Grin Peace

__
Bo'h Selecta'h
27-10-2004 12:28 Homepage of Fuera
Mush mc Mush mc is a male
MentalLAB

Registration Date: 01-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

iowz Fuera

I don t know where you live in Belgium at the moment but i live in Ghent. The only belgian dnb mc i ever heard flowing in spanish was the also Ghent based mc, mc SANE. He is a member off the warriorz crew. Maybe you can contact him for some pointers ? -> www.warriorz.be
Or else, maybe we can meet tonight, go to steam together and you ll see him live?...

There are also some threads here on basic mc pointers; practice & get experience, let the music breed, .... you should read them, and especially the info that DOC gave Big Grin

Otherwise, if you still have some questions, just launch

regards
Mush

__
http://www.mentallab.com

27-10-2004 12:44 Homepage of Mush mc
Fuera Fuera is a male

Mush mc, thx for the quick respons...I live in Ghent too...if you want give me ur phone number n Ill give u a call to see if we can meet sometime???

Peace

Fuera

__
Bo'h Selecta'h
27-10-2004 13:00 Homepage of Fuera
Fuera Fuera is a male

Mush mc, thx for the quick respons...I live in Ghent too...if you want give me ur phone number n Ill give u a call to see if we can meet sometime???

Peace

Fuera

__
Bo'h Selecta'h
27-10-2004 13:05 Homepage of Fuera
Fuera Fuera is a male

sorry about this one.....got confused Big Grin opened a new thread....not important...

__
Bo'h Selecta'h
27-10-2004 13:06 Homepage of Fuera
muphasta muphasta is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1490.jpg

Registration Date: 29-06-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.88

Bigup dating forum Bigup

I live in Antwerp, me like blonde girls, big tits, no brains, tight but and owner of a benji-jump platform of 120 m in her garden.
anyone fitting these conditions? just pm me Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

cheers

__
muphasta none dnb
www.myspace.com/muphsugar
reggeadubwise.com
Roots-reggea-project: muphsteppa
muphsteppa@reggeadubwise
27-10-2004 13:08
Mush mc Mush mc is a male
MentalLAB

Registration Date: 01-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

I would love to meet you once and hear your flows, maybe jam together once @ my dj his place.

check your PM please

regards

__
http://www.mentallab.com

27-10-2004 13:17 Homepage of Mush mc
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Fixed the threads Big Grin

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

27-10-2004 14:06 Homepage of Surya
Fuera Fuera is a male

Thx.... n sorry...my bad Big Grin

__
Bo'h Selecta'h
27-10-2004 15:59 Homepage of Fuera
Soi Soi is a male
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

quote:
Originally posted by muphasta
Bigup dating forum Bigup

I live in Antwerp, me like blonde girls, big tits, no brains, tight but and owner of a benji-jump platform of 120 m in her garden.
anyone fitting these conditions? just pm me Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
cheers

ME! ME! ME! ME! It's me me MEEEEEEEEEEE you're looking fooooooooooor!!!!!!!!
Whiiieieieie!!

(if the mod's think we'd better continue unbehaving ourselves somewhere else on this forum, please let us know...always glad to participate...)

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
28-10-2004 10:36 Homepage of Soi
akikosmanipura

Registration Date: 03-06-2008

I am fairly new at learning the ways of a DnB MC, double time is something i rarley reach after drinking 3 redbulls or some shit. Sure there are some female MC's out there for the DnB, but honestly...how many of them doubletime? not many....at least not many heard of in the states..where im from...i feel that me being up and coming...is gona be very difficult...i have 2 vocal coaches...and if your wanting to know what to show ur friend...try having him write down some of his own rhymes...then go over them, show him how he can chop and twist his own words...toss them in random spots still catching a steady flow. One of the things my vocal coach did, who has been MC'ing about 10 years....is they gave me a list of random words...things like
Ruler
paper clip
Black sharpie
Duck Tape
Spray paint
bottle
Stensil
Clothes pin
Screw Driver

With those words i had to write down a rhyme, a decent one for DnB...and you know what? it came out pretty wicked. It teaches you to be able to flow more freely off the dome...(off the top of your head)....any word you say you can find another to rhyme with it. Huh
03-06-2008 11:52
scoopdna scoopdna is a male
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 07-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

hello there well first thing I would say about this thread is listen to everyones advice people have different opinions and it all seems good this is what I think let me just say I have been mcing for 10 years and have worked with most mcs and lots of djs you can check me out at www.myspace.com/mcscoop there is a clip of me mcing with dj mysterious but its a bit old but you will hear what I am about ok the first thing to do is learn to roll your letters not to the point where its bidi bidi bla bla that will get you no where as soon as you can roll certin letters then you must learn to write lyrics be original every one has an idol but if you want to make it don't be your idol be your own ldol go and buy the colins chambers rhyming dictonary that will help you learn what words rhyme like say chat could rhyme with that but then could rhmye with back and also things like in contact do ya self favours and find that book when you rhyme it doesn't have to be full speed all the time try and be versatile slow and fast and using both to effectiveness like say when tune builds up I want to be slow to edge the ravers in to a motion that's going to exsplode on the drop so when its just about to drop then I get faster then when it drops let off that works a treat it keeps the raver intrested now there basic guide lines there are rules belive me no dj likes any mc that goes bla bla bla and don't shut up the mc is there to complement the music and hype the crowd with out a dj an mc aint shit so remember to let the dj mix djs will turn the mic off hype doesn't really like mcs but mcs who compliment the music instead of over powering get respect the 2nd rule is mic control do not over cover the mic so it distorts and some times your voice may be louder or quiter the the next mc so try and get levels right I hope that helps u guys and good luck here's one of my rhymes so u can see the way some people rhyme

streets are dark sometimes un preaty especialy living in the big city someone comes along robs the car and midi walks in the shop steals the till and kitty on a hand bag tec there sneeky and witty on a burglary thinks with no pity of to see ricky to buy some sticky goes to a rave and makes some more money then gets a weir feeling in his tummy thinks to him self I aint no mug or dummy needs a nice girl on his arm sweet hunnie buys a new house cause his one is crumby you see 9 to 5 his on the rob walks to the merc and the doors unlock and every one knows his name from his block might just be cause his selling rocks blinged up wearing moschino tops running diveing ducking cops and even the sound of the helicop

that was all fiction but I painted a story cheers for reading and good luck scoop

__

Promos Out Now www.nuurbanmusic.co.uk
10-07-2008 01:38 Homepage of scoopdna
Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3]
drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJs & MCs » Tips on MCing