drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » "puncher" for drums
Go to the bottom of this page "puncher" for drums
Author
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

does anyone use the puncher in cubase for drums or for that matter anything else? I used it on some drums the other day at a mates and it really pumps them up, so I can see the advantage of using a program like Cubase over reason... does anyone disagree? i.e. its much easier to make a punchier drumline in a program like Cubase now I would think, but does anyone think the same is possible in a program like reason?

-p.s., id quite like to get this plug in, does anyone know if its free or not? and where to get it....

cheerz

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
02-08-2006 21:21
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Is that like a compressor?

If so: dunno man. I don't like making drums and compressing them to make them sound punchy. I don't use compression and give them loads of punch by layering and EQing. I find the result much more satisfying.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

03-08-2006 06:30 Homepage of Surya
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

^^^^^

Me too

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

03-08-2006 11:13 Homepage of D2o
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

I like compressing the snare drum sometimes :X

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
03-08-2006 11:38 Homepage of cynik
baz baz is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1379.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
23 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.96

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
I don't use compression and give them loads of punch by layering and EQing. I find the result much more satisfying.

deff Big Grin

__
"shotgun ; slammin in yo chestpiece ; blaw"
03-08-2006 11:47 Homepage of baz
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

I prefer to layer some stuff, like kicks and snares. But although it can give a fuller sounding hit, you can often loose the crack of the snare because of slight differences in the attack. I find compressers are great for giving more crack to a sound, you can get similar results using an envelope in your sampler. I guess its a matter of taste. Some people like a full "doof" sorta sound which layering is probably best for, Some people prefer a sharper "crack" sorta sound which compression and envelopes are better for.

I think layering can be a little dodgy sometimes because you can end up with a fairly un charcteristic snare sound. So many layers but nothing definable, Hmmm, its kinda difficult to explain. I just like sanre sounds that are really definable, with one strong trait to them, ie this one is really snappy, or this one is really metallic. I think that with to much layering you can loose this.
03-08-2006 13:01
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by TechDiff
I just like sanre sounds that are really definable, with one strong trait to them, ie this one is really snappy, or this one is really metallic. I think that with to much layering you can loose this.

too true. I find I can layer many snares but one or two has to stick out as the main one otherwise it looses character, I think there is too many pitch changes (if you layer tonal ones) which can sound interesting but often result in a messy disharmonic snare sound.

when layering snares I first play them one octave up together as the pitch differences are heard better like that.

just a slight compression afterwards can smooth them out too.

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
03-08-2006 14:32 Homepage of cynik
Dubrain Hertz Dubrain Hertz is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-1290.jpg

Registration Date: 23-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

I use this all the time, great for bassdrums. I think it's free

__
Download my album for free/pay what you want http://recordsofthefleshgod.bandcamp.com...years-2002-2005
03-08-2006 16:09 Homepage of Dubrain Hertz
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Helpfulness rating: 

ive always read and heard that compression is absouloutely vital for drums, especially the kick. and that in general the lower end of the tune should be more compressed than the high end, now Im hearing that some of you dont even compress drums, whats up with that... ive always been told compression is the most significant tool to use

ahhhh! ! ! ! Confused

__
03-08-2006 16:57
equipped equipped is a male
tired

images/avatars/avatar-2339.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
22 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.23

quote:
Originally posted by Digital Cause
ive always read and heard that compression is absouloutely vital for drums, especially the kick. and that in general the lower end of the tune should be more compressed than the high end, now Im hearing that some of you dont even compress drums, whats up with that... ive always been told compression is the most significant tool to use

ahhhh! ! ! ! Confused
after slappin a few layer's down,..if the drum's sound good i won't bother compressing,..allthough my tunes lack allot in the mixdown,..it seem's to me that im more into makin tunes than bein an engineer for now at least,..in other word's don't let eq insanity get the best of ya. Smile

__
Space
03-08-2006 18:15
Dead-Kat Dead-Kat is a male
Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-2400.jpg

Registration Date: 13-09-2006

for this you can use the CAMELCRUSHER, previously known as CAMELPHATFREE, it's been remade cause the interface, prestes and algorythm were really bad.....

grab this free must-have-plug here : http://www.camelaudio.com/camelphatfree.php Drummer

__
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:::
RDS the Dead Kat - FUTURE SICKNESS RECORDS
Co-Owner // PR // Artist // Admin

Aim for tunes : spherds
13-09-2006 18:22 Homepage of Dead-Kat
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

or Blockfish, check this thread

Fish Fillet

works well on a 909 snare, when combined with a lil bit of overdrive and distortion Devil

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
13-09-2006 18:36 Homepage of Friscko
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

[quote]Originally posted by Digital Cause
does anyone use the puncher in cubase for drums or for that matter anything else? I used it on some drums the other day at a mates and it really pumps them up, so I can see the advantage of using a program like Cubase over reason... does anyone disagree? i.e. its much easier to make a punchier drumline in a program like Cubase now I would think, but does anyone think the same is possible in a program like reason?

-p.s., id quite like to get this plug in, does anyone know if its free or not? and where to get it....

the puncher is like a compressor/mix saturator kind of thing... i dont ever use it for drums... but its great when your done with your mixdown...

i use wave lab for my final mastering so i always set it on soft at about 30%.. everything else is a bit too harsh and it starts to distort... then add a limiter to the final.. L2 maximizer does the trcik...

and no this vst is not free... unless you get cubase or wave lab...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

13-09-2006 19:36
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by Digital Cause

ahhhh! ! ! ! Confused

compression is a vital tool in many production techniques but not all of these are siting down and working with PROPER studio equipment... no pun intended...

I use compression more often then not but in a different way...

Drums should be compressed, maximized and limited before adding into a track...

note that guys Big Grin

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

13-09-2006 19:38
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Helpfulness rating: 

i rarely use the maximizer (in reason), mostly cos im not completely sure of what it does, it usually does give me positive results though.... I know it limits and enables you to turn up the volume, but I would usually use it over the whole track

__
14-09-2006 14:25
benson benson is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 16-12-2006

it is a type of compressor, i have never heard of not using a comp of some sort on a kick drum

__
http://www.myspace.com/bensonreck
18-12-2006 11:16
benson benson is a male
Tourist

a maiximizer is very similar to a compressor except it kinda works in reverse
a compressor brings up lower sounds and cuts off more of the louder sound where a maximizer lowers lower sounds and brings up louder sounds. With the right attack time and ratio set it shouldnt take any charecteristics out of whatever you send to it, more define and bring either up or down in the mix, i have never ever heard of not using a compressor on something as dynamic as a drum kit weather it be a drum machine or not

__
18-12-2006 11:21
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

fruity blood overdrive, does the trick every time Big Grin

__

18-12-2006 18:12 Homepage of Emblem-X
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Emblem-X
fruity blood overdrive, does the trick every time Big Grin

Exactly my point Big Grin heheh

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
18-12-2006 20:17 Homepage of Muad'Dib
benson benson is a male
Tourist

i meant to say whatever you send to the compressor

__
20-12-2006 12:52
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » "puncher" for drums