drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Eerie and windy voice
Go to the bottom of this page Eerie and windy voice
Author
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I am trying to do this for a time now without any success. Does any one of you has a way of achieving eerie and windy voice?
Say you have a sample with a choir voice. Now, I need to create it to sound windy, like the singer sings with the same note of a wind or something.

I will stick a sample here as an attachment, so you can have the basic idea of it.

I know that it uses some kind of reverb, but I simply can't find the desired settings.

Sample 1
Sample 2
Sample 3

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
30-05-2006 14:42 Homepage of Muad'Dib
baz baz is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1379.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
23 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.96

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
I am trying to do this for a time now without any success. Does any one of you has a way of achieving eerie and windy voice?
Say you have a sample with a choir voice. Now, I need to create it to sound windy, like the singer sings with the same note of a wind or something.

get urself virysn cantor ; it makes nothing but voices Wink (an you can load samples into it aswel)

__
"shotgun ; slammin in yo chestpiece ; blaw"

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by baz: 30-05-2006 14:59.

30-05-2006 14:59 Homepage of baz
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

Reason from version 2.5 has a very cool and easy to use reverb which has the reverse reverb function, suits perfectly windy voices, strings etc. used by itself sounds bland but try a couple more reverb units on it all with different reverb settings and/or eq-ing.

on the same note you could try the following trick in Sound Forge: reverse the sample, put a great, big, faat reverb on it, reverse again, reverb again until you come up with the desired effect. try dryer settings first - you can always add a little more reverb later for a fuller sound

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
30-05-2006 16:18 Homepage of cynik
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

The first one to me sounds like its just a vocal with reverb doubled up with pan pipes or something similar playing the same melody. The chords in the background sound like a pretty cheep "choir" patch on some synth.

The second one also sounds like a cheepo "choir" patch on a synth. I guess you could get a similar effect by sending the chords through a send channel with a reverb and a filter on it, the sweep the filter cutoff to mirror the frequency of the chords, might work, not sure. It'd also be worth introducing a little white noise in. Putting white noise through a filter with the resonance turned right up gives a nice windy effect, might have something to do with it.

Either way, sounds pretty naff to in my opinion, pretty tacky.
31-05-2006 13:40
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

I will certainly try all the things described here:

@TechDiff:
I don't quite understand you. You say '...reverb doubled with pan pipes'. What are pan pipes, organ?

Then,
quote:
...I guess you could get a similar effect by sending the chords through a send channel with a reverb and a filter on it, the sweep the filter cutoff to mirror the frequency of the chords, might work, not sure...

What kind of filter it should be, high/low pass, band pass? What Q?

Then,
quote:
...Putting white noise through a filter with the resonance turned right up gives a nice windy effect, might have something to do with it...

Ok I have white noise. Again what type of filter?

K, I tried some things and it gets very close, but not exactly like a voice. It sounds hissy but not like a voice hissy, but noise hissy Big Grin

Anyway, what's naff and tacky?

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

-Bene Gesserit
01-06-2006 14:01 Homepage of Muad'Dib
TechDiff

Helpfulness rating: 

Sorry, I'll to clear this up a bit.

The first thing, Pan pipes are those traditional pipe instuments you see peruvian bands playing, heres a pic:

About the chords through the filtered reverb. Try using a high pass with the resonance set pretty high. You could try using other filter types but I like HP.

The White noise through the filter thing. Again it might work best with a high pass filter, but rather than simply putting a whitenoise generator through a filter, see if you have a synth which creates white noise, the pro 52 VST does this, even the 3osc in FL does this, and use it as part of your pad sound, layer this with the choral sounds. Might work, I havent got any music software on the PC Im using so I cant check to be sure.

As for naff and tacky, I guess it just means the same as cheesy, or even hamy! Big Grin

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by TechDiff: 01-06-2006 17:31.

01-06-2006 17:29
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

To make wind with a noise generator and a filter, better make it a low pass filter with a little bit of resonance. Move the filter cutoff frequency randomly (better still, assign it to a knob so you can make those whooshes manually by turning the knob, that's a lot of fun Smile )

Use a fairly low-mid range for the filter, try to move between 200-1000 Hz and experiment a bit with the resonance until you find the right amount of whistling.

I have once made a really convincing wind patch on the Korg Prophecy but this can be easily done in a synthesizer plugin too.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
01-06-2006 18:21 Homepage of thechronic
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

You hanven't listened to the clips, have you Tongue

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

01-06-2006 18:24 Homepage of Surya
Daemon79 Daemon79 is a male
Steppa

Registration Date: 24-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

Have you tried to sample a singer, sample some wind (or make some wind with a noise gen & stuff) and put both in a vocoder yet?
01-06-2006 22:40
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Vocoders? I don't know how to use them well yet... any tuts?

__

-Bene Gesserit
02-06-2006 00:28 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Ok people I got it!! Big Grin

After playing some time with the solutions you gave me, I got a satisfactory result.

Say you have a sample of a choir

Ooo sample (I sing that ooo Big Grin )

then you put it in FL (I'm sure if you follow carefully you can catch up with other programs aswell) and link it to a mixer channel.

Then you send the signal to a send channel (for other program users, that's like the signal from the mixer channel is sent to the master channel and to another mixer channel (that also goes to the master channel) which catches up with that in parallel, and you can put separate effects on the cloned signal), say Send 1 (the second channel).

Then you add Reverb (to the send channel)
settings:
Decay 1.5 seconds,
Amount 20%,
High Cut 10 000 Hz (don't go below 1000Hz with this)

Then you add a Filter
settings:
Cutoff frequency to the max
Resonance to the max
Low pass 0
Band Bass 0
High pass set it like 3/4.

And after these two add a Chorus
no settings, I just added chorus, play with it.

Then play the signal, and see how hissy it becomes, just like in the samples I sticked ! Pleased

Nice. Now, I will mark this thread in the Production Thread. Big Grin Thanx to all that helped me! Bigup

PS I tried putting a piano through the same settings - man, the piano got hissy sound too!! wow!

__

-Bene Gesserit
02-06-2006 18:29 Homepage of Muad'Dib
TechDiff

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by TechDiff

I guess you could get a similar effect by sending the chords through a send channel with a reverb and a filter on it, the sweep the filter cutoff to mirror the frequency of the chords, might work, not sure. It'd also be worth introducing a little white noise in. Putting white noise through a filter with the resonance turned right up gives a nice windy effect, might have something to do with it.

Yay!!! I wasnt to far off!

I'm glad you got it sorted. I love that feeling, when you know the sound you want to get but cant quite figure it out.

I remember the first time I heard a ring mod, I was like whooaaa! What the fuck was that. I spent hours trying to make that kinda sound by detuning seperate oscilators on synths and all sorts of other stupid things. Then I got a ring mod VST and was like oh..... is that it? Still love a ring mod though, especially for those talking synth sounds.

Amyway nice one for working it out and for explaining it all too, I'll give it a go sometime
03-06-2006 00:43
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Well, if it wasn't for your solution there I would've been stuck for at least a week or so! Smile Thank you man, for helping me out.

BTW I might wanna check those ring mods and see what they do... Big Grin

peace

__

-Bene Gesserit
03-06-2006 01:11 Homepage of Muad'Dib
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Eerie and windy voice