drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » hihats rolling problem
Go to the bottom of this page hihats rolling problem
Author

Registration Date: 13-04-2006

hello people~! im making a long rolling pattern on a hihat in FL but i dont think im getting the right tune of it (compared when im actually doing it in my drumset). anyone here wants to try and edit my work would be greatly appreciated~

you can get it here:

download my work its in .flp format so that you can edit it~

here's your reference incase you dont know what tune in hihats i am trying to make make..

asian kung fu generation - RE

thanks in advance~

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by hitori_kanashii: 14-04-2006 06:31.

13-04-2006 20:57
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

There's something wrong with your posting, your "reference" link is pointing to a Dutch news portal Huh
Anyway, I've checked your FLP file, appart from 1 snare which can't be loaded (not in basic sampleset of FL studio) it's working. If this is DnB you're trying to make you'll have to rework it quite a bit.
Try a short pattern (4x4) to get a simple rollin' drum, when you have your basic drumline you can go on and add effects like that hihat roll.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
14-04-2006 01:54 Homepage of BattleDrone
DjSlut DjSlut is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 27-08-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

The link isnt working indeed. (skips to microsoft for me)
Your Fl project is at 80 bpms. This wont work for DnB. Turn it up to 175 and try again. Thats all i can say without the "reference" music.

__
VAS
14-04-2006 03:07
hitori_kanashii

got the reference link fixed~ try to check it again~ maybe you'll get what im talking about~ its about the "TONE" of the hihats.. it doesnt sound like its a real hihat when its in piano roll.. dontcha think??
14-04-2006 06:36
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

Ok, now we're getting somewhere...
I think the main problem with you hihat is robot timing instead of human timing. You should play around with the lengths and the positioning, Velocity (volume) , the cutoff and the resonance of you different hihat hits in order to make it sound more "unperfect" and thus human like. In the begining this is hell and I suppose that it's extremely hard to get the sound near 100% realistic.

In your demo song you use a very long bar to play you hihats and they go tick tack tick tack tick tack tick tack tick tack tick tack... in order to humanise your hihats you should make a shorter pattern fo them (so you dont have to tweak around with a 100 hits and humanize every single one of them. Make little changes to the above mentioned parameters, otherwise it sounds silly.

If you are the drummer in the video you should try to get midi input from the drumkit so you have real human data. Or just sample a short repeating piece of hihat from a drumkit or - like the majority of producers seems to do, take a real drumkit drumloop and shop it up using fruity slicer to make you own drumloop.

By the way, the song in the example video is a pretty cool rocksong IMO.

Happy drumming dude. Drummer Drummer Drummer

__
14-04-2006 07:34 Homepage of BattleDrone
hitori_kanashii

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
Ok, now we're getting somewhere...
I think the main problem with you hihat is robot timing instead of human timing. You should play around with the lengths and the positioning, Velocity (volume) , the cutoff and the resonance of you different hihat hits in order to make it sound more "unperfect" and thus human like. In the begining this is hell and I suppose that it's extremely hard to get the sound near 100% realistic.

In your demo song you use a very long bar to play you hihats and they go tick tack tick tack tick tack tick tack tick tack tick tack... in order to humanise your hihats you should make a shorter pattern fo them (so you dont have to tweak around with a 100 hits and humanize every single one of them. Make little changes to the above mentioned parameters, otherwise it sounds silly.

By the way, the song in the example video is a pretty cool rocksong IMO.

Happy drumming dude. Drummer Drummer Drummer

Hmm... sorry for being so freaking dumb but can you do an FL sample of what you are trying to tell me here? i will save it and then try to study it based on what you said~ that way would be much easier~ Big Grin

i know what you are saying by making a shorter bar, but i dont really get how to make the proper "Positioning, Velocity (volume) , the cutoff and the resonance" to make it sound more realistic.. Crying

and umm.. btw, its not me on the video hehehe...
14-04-2006 08:23
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

No can do (I'm at work).

From what I can make up out of your hihat score you first didnt do it on the piano roll, right? You just put in notes and then converted it to a piano roll. That way all the hits are exactly alligned on the grid of the piano roll.
If a human would hit a hihat and you would record this to the piano roll you would see that the different hits were never possitioned exactly on the piano roll, some are too early, some are too late. But thats just what makes a good drumline good.

I think this is really hard to explain, but do read so other threads on this subject. A few months ago I was on the smae spot wehre you are now and this site has helped me a lot.

And do experiment with the piano roll, the possibilities are huge.

__
14-04-2006 09:55 Homepage of BattleDrone
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » hihats rolling problem