drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How to produce a decent reece???
Go to the bottom of this page How to produce a decent reece???
Author
Tourist

Registration Date: 20-06-2003

Hello peeps,

I have a question, as mentioned in the topic title: how can u produce a decent reece (I don't even know if the spelling is correct )????

Do u use a sample and put a lot of fx on it or can u use a special synth or something?????
I know that there must be somebody who knows the trick.......

Thx in advance

(example of a reece: concord dawn - morning light )
03-09-2003 10:59
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

I think this guide should help:

http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125698

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

03-09-2003 11:21 Homepage of Surya
CH3M!K
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-75.jpg

Registration Date: 19-01-2003

big up the bourbon site!!!
http://www.rah.gq.nu/bourbon/index.html

it's on there too i think,

but anyhow, try to make one, be satisfied, but then please filter it, be original with it, cuz pure 4 note reeces 'komen mijn keel uit'...

another trick... with any synthFrown probably the easiest way in the book...) put both osc's on saw, detune them (like 1 -15, the other +15), then you have the basics, then distort, filter, whatever suits you and sounds good...

it takes some practice though, but once you get it, there's a world of possibilities...
04-09-2003 19:51
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by CH3M!K
another trick... with any synthFrown probably the easiest way in the book...) put both osc's on saw, detune them (like 1 -15, the other +15), then you have the basics, then distort, filter, whatever suits you and sounds good...

Yeah, sounds very similar to what I read: layer 2 sawtooths of which one is detuned 3 points. Then put a lowpass filter on it at taste, and then distort n shit.

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

05-09-2003 06:48 Homepage of Surya
CH3M!K
Cool Producer

o i didn't read the tutorial over again, but isn't it about distorting a sub that much, so that it becomes a reece... in some way?

was a while ago i when i saw it though

edit: oh you're probably talking about the replies in the post itself... sorry my mistake

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by CH3M!K: 05-09-2003 17:06.

05-09-2003 17:05
Qbit Qbit is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-159.gif

Registration Date: 14-11-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

aight... it's really very simple
load a synth with 2 or more oscilators, put both on 'saw' (same pitch, really low :p) detune the first one to the left, detune the other one to the right. Then add a distortion, make it ruff but clean... then add an EQ. Here's the cool part; cut the mid frequenties and you'll have a nasty sound! What i mostly do is export that melody to wav, then insert it back and add another EQ, adding some mids... makes it really phat!

__

Drop On Request
14-11-2003 03:31 Homepage of Qbit
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Cool. Tnx for the details Qbit! Bigup

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

14-11-2003 12:27 Homepage of Surya
CH3M!K
Cool Producer

quote:
Originally posted by Qbit
load a synth with 2 or more oscilators, put both on 'saw' (same pitch, really low :p) detune the first one to the left, detune the other one to the right. Then add a distortion, make it ruff but clean... then add an EQ. Here's the cool part; cut the mid frequenties and you'll have a nasty sound! What i mostly do is export that melody to wav, then insert it back and add another EQ, adding some mids... makes it really phat!

I sometimes do the same thing with drums, removing some frequencies, adding distortion and filter, and then i boost the frequencies i cutted... Got some nice effects this way
14-11-2003 18:35
shard shard is a male
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 20-11-2003

hmmmmmm^^^that sounds kind of interesting. I gotta try that.

does anyone know how to explain the...science behind it? I know the difference between the two frequencies is what makes that osciallating sound that changes with the pitch...but that's about it.

also what would you set the phases too? I understand what a phase is but not how that effects everything.... Confused

__
http://shard.netdojo.com/ <mix inside
20-11-2003 23:51 Homepage of shard
CH3M!K
Cool Producer

the best way to find out imo, is putting up one saw oscilator and listen to the sound it makes, then put up another one that you detune a little, instant phasing effect, and an obvious difference... I don't know what makes this so much nicer to listen to, but the nicest pads arent 1osc either, so i guess the phasing is something that makes sounds *intresting* Big Grin
21-11-2003 10:49
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

They sound more intresting coz you can hear that they're more than just one single wave with no harmonics or anything.
Adding the second wave phattens it up and gives more depth to the sound, making it more intresting.
Or so I recon Big Grin

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

21-11-2003 12:09 Homepage of Surya
shard shard is a male
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 20-11-2003

right like layer. but isn't part of the purpose of detuning to create a slightly different wave...and the difference between them creates a greater but slower oscillation...one that changes with the pitch. So if you play it in the right octave it will make a woh woh woh sound really slow with a low note and fast on a high note...

__
http://shard.netdojo.com/ <mix inside
21-11-2003 20:20 Homepage of shard
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
Originally posted by CH3M!K
quote:

I sometimes do the same thing with drums, removing some frequencies, adding distortion and filter, and then i boost the frequencies i cutted... Got some nice effects this way

What a strange idea Big Grin Something I would never come up with Wink Will make it sound dirty alright. I'm going to experiment with this!

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
22-11-2003 03:51 Homepage of thechronic
Dave_Akuma Dave_Akuma is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1737.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.29

the easiest way to make a reece is to use the reecemx vsti---

http://www.paradox-jungle.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=487

Bigup

__

18-02-2004 04:15
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Nice!

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

18-02-2004 10:47 Homepage of Surya
Qbit Qbit is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-159.gif

Registration Date: 14-11-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

quote:
Originally posted by Dave_Akuma
the easiest way to make a reece is to use the reecemx vsti---

http://www.paradox-jungle.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=487

Bigup

just tested this vst and i think it's plain rubbish... that sound is just awfull. I prefer my v-station & junglist for reece's

__

Drop On Request
19-02-2004 00:59 Homepage of Qbit
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Tried it to. There are some settings with which it sounds quite decent, but then it sounds very standard. Most of the other settings suck indeed Frown
Maybe future versions will be better Smile

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

19-02-2004 10:25 Homepage of Surya
tech life tech life is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 04-09-2004

try using the orginal sample that Bc used. (Worked For them)
Its in one of my sample packs its called Bc. Its off a CD called rising DNB.
They didn't make that sound they jus sequenced it.
Smoke and mirriors
the world of DNB

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tech life: 04-09-2004 23:11.

04-09-2004 23:11 Homepage of tech life
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:

Good indeed, but the biggest problem is always: the right distortion... I've tried combinations of all kinds of shit, but I hardly get anything that really sounds completely PHAT... I use things like the wet slew DX from Soundforge (suggested by Bourbon Biscuit on DOA), Antares Tube, PSP Vintage Warmer...

What distortions can you recommend?

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

12-09-2004 10:06 Homepage of Surya
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

hmm it's not always question of distortion, you can make phat "distorded" sounds using FM synthesis..

__

12-09-2004 11:54
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How to produce a decent reece???