drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » CPU Dilema
Go to the bottom of this page CPU Dilema
Author
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

i'm about to buy myself a new pc and was a little lost at sea with the different choice of processors.
i'll give a couple of senarios.....

the first computer has a P4 Hyperthreading processor which i hear is good....

the second one is more expensive but boasts the 64bit AMD chip.....

is it worth forking out more for the AMD processor....

also will i encounter any problems with m software when using any of these CPU's?

if anyone can clear this up for me i would be very gratefull Big Grin

haven't had a computer of my own now for some months and i'm starting to twitch

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by D2o: 20-03-2006 09:30.

20-03-2006 09:21 Homepage of D2o
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

the 64 bit AMD pisses all over the Intel one.

however you might be right about the compatibility with older software... in order to fully use the processor you will need an operating system which supports it.. like maybe the forthcoming Windows Vista.

you will need a whole lot of RAM too if youre going with that, since the Vista alone will take up 800 Mbytes of RAM Shocked

so youre looking at 2 GB minimum

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
20-03-2006 09:52 Homepage of cynik
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

Try to find some info about the architectures and take a good look at the drawings. The intel use the pci bus to interface with the DDR ram controller on the motherboard. Also the maximum PCI bus speed on intels is slower than with the AMD. The AMD has an onboard DDR controller. So with the AMD you have no bottlenecks in the communication between your CPU and ram, wich is important when you want to go for full speed.

To make maximum use of the 64 bit architecture it is indeed adviseable to get either windows XP64 or Vista. But 32bit software should still run like before without any problems. Unless you buy a new computer every year, you should go for the 64 bits, if it fits in your budget even dual core. Their power can't be fully used for the moment, but you'll be safe in the future.

About windows vista taking up 800M of ram: that's only on the highest-end systems wich have plenty of ram anyway. On slower systems vista will automatically adapt its hunger to the available system resources. I theory, anything that can run XP should be able to run Vista. (At least that's what microsofts commercial people are trying to tell us).

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by djfreemc: 20-03-2006 10:36.

20-03-2006 10:35 Homepage of djfreemc
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

yeh the "hyperthreading" sucks bull

lets see how the Vista thing wraps out. indeed they did say its got some kinda performance rating system, all a bunch off b/s if you ask me. its friggin Microsoft, always on the lookout to fuck up us cunsumers Mad

__
20-03-2006 10:46 Homepage of cynik
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

Helpfulness rating: 

sweet, cheers for the help

the one with the AMD comes with 2GB's of Corsair RAM.....that should do it, shouldn't it?

__

20-03-2006 14:45 Homepage of D2o
@1$-)
unregistered
well if vista is taking up 800mb that leaves you with about 1.2 gb of ram to play with. it might be worth investing in another gig if you intend on having a system coping with higher end vst fx processors and synths, and you also need to it to be able to cope with newer more demanding software that will come along in the next few years.....
20-03-2006 15:00
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

Helpfulness rating: 

What if i get XP64 instead?

__

20-03-2006 16:25 Homepage of D2o
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

take the 64 bit AMD

2 gigs of ram will be enough to get ou started. in the future, you can always easily purchase another gig

__
20-03-2006 16:28 Homepage of cynik
baz baz is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1379.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
23 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.96

i think this thread is useless bullshit Big Grin
they both have their advantages an disadvantages (i could knwo for i'm runnin on one amd and an ht intel )
my amd is indeed better in many aspects but i must say it sucks when it comes to beeing a stable computer (for fuck's sake u should see what 3Xabsynth an z3ta at the same time do to my cpu Mad )
with my intel i've never had any probs
it's a 3.4 (overclocked to 3.8 ) an runs @ 40 degrees at all times
when i use vst's it never goes over the 20% cpu usage (cpu1(ht)) 5%cpu usage(cpu 2))(an it's got 1 gig of ram btw)
the amd one friggin goes up to fuckin percent just opening a good vst
an keeps making peaks from 20 to 80 % an the shit is running @ 70 degrees once u get started with anything (an i've tried al possible coolings(air for watercool sucks to my opinion)
so i'd say no matter wich one u buy u'll always have something to complain about (moral o' the story : computers are still unreliable machines that can fuck things up whenever they feel like it Happy )
not a helpfull post but it needs to be said hope no one blames me Roll Eyes
good luck with ur future comp Bigup

__
"shotgun ; slammin in yo chestpiece ; blaw"

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by baz: 20-03-2006 16:30.

20-03-2006 16:30 Homepage of baz
@1$-)
unregistered
to be honest though 1.2 gb of ram isnt enough if you intend on running multiple instances of things such as reaktor, absynth, zeta and its even worse if your using things such as waves along with a lot of audio tracks. obviously you can always bounce down your stems but its always best to keep as much control as possible over your sounds imo. to be honest jimmy i know you must now be moving up a level from just using reason, and manipulating 24 and 32 bit audio with high sample rates along with third party plug ins can really eat your processor & ram so i would get as much as you can if you intend on getting a good sound. theres no bigger killer of inspiration than having your host crash because the computer cant handle the load. and whats even worse is when youve just saved it before hand and it will no longer open because theres to much strain on the system. anyways thats my two cents worth.......
20-03-2006 17:43
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by baz
they both have their advantages an disadvantages...

you didnt say what was the frequency of the other AMD processor. the fact is that any AMD since the K7 generation when compared with an Intel equivalent runs at lower frequencies, costs less, but works faster Shocked

the reliabilty issue with the AMD's a thing of the past, thats just something Intel people are still clinging on as it's only in people's heads now.

__
20-03-2006 17:48 Homepage of cynik
baz baz is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1379.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
23 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.96

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
quote:
Originally posted by baz
they both have their advantages an disadvantages...

you didnt say what was the frequency of the other AMD processor. the fact is that any AMD since the K7 generation when compared with an Intel equivalent runs at lower frequencies, costs less, but works faster Shocked

the reliabilty issue with the AMD's a thing of the past, thats just something Intel people are still clinging on as it's only in people's heads now.

lol indeed i forgot the cpu of my amd
AMD A64 VENICE 3000 SKT939 FSB1000 512KB

an i woulmdn't even know if it's a real good one but when i bought it they told me it was a top notch cpu (an still i prefer my intel (predjudices never fade for real i guess Big Grin ) it's not a bad cpu neither but i just don't like too see my cpu raise from the moment i press play in fl Wink

__
"shotgun ; slammin in yo chestpiece ; blaw"
20-03-2006 22:22 Homepage of baz
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

Helpfulness rating: 

Things have changed a little......i recalculated my funds and i think i can get the daul core AMD!!!

it will be the ......
AMD Athlon 64 4400+ Socket 939 ,Toledo ,2x 2.2 GHz ,2MB Cache

with.........
2GB (2x1GB)Corsair, DDR400, non-ECC, 2x184 DIMM, unbuffered,

is this gonna be the biz?

__

21-03-2006 08:17 Homepage of D2o
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

I think that should do for quite a while

__
21-03-2006 10:12 Homepage of djfreemc
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

Helpfulness rating: 

Just found out an interesting rumour that the porwecore has problems running with the dual-core AMD cpu's.

is this a load of shit or is there some truth to this?

__

24-03-2006 18:16 Homepage of D2o
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I would go for an Intel processor. I have 1.8 ghz intel pentium IV in my comp., made in 2003, still working like crazy. I never had probz with heating, stability or whatever (except when windows is fucked up, which is pretty damn much Big Grin )

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
24-03-2006 18:47 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Dj Jimmy C
Just found out an interesting rumour that the porwecore has problems running with the dual-core AMD cpu's.

is this a load of shit or is there some truth to this?

I don't see why it would have a problem with it, perhaps the drivers aren't optimized for use with an AMD X2 yet, but that has nothing to do with the processor itsself.

If you don't own a powercore yet, I don't see the problem. You will probably have enough calculation power from your PC.

I have had 3 PC's with AMD processors and never had any stability problems comming from the processor. (Did have some because of memory and harddisks though Tongue ) So from my experience I don't think that in the last 10 years or so stability is a topic when choosing between an AMD or Intel. My experience is that an AMD gives you more power for the buck, but the days of 50% price differences between AMD and Intel are gone.

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by djfreemc: 24-03-2006 23:17.

24-03-2006 23:15 Homepage of djfreemc
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

Hey, this isnt along the lines of this conversation but is related none the less.

Ive just got cubase and dont know fuck all bout computers, but could anyone let me know if these specs will cut reason running with cubase + multiple vst plug ins? :

- Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz, 256 MB DDR RAM, 30 GB hard disk
- 420 Go graphics with 32 MB DDR VRAM

thanks, and if there are any problems what can be done to remedy these? i.e. an external hardrive?

Cheers (im not running nothing else on the computer but these two programs + plug ins), reason is perfectly fine but just learning cubase and definetely up for some editing reason tunes in cubase!

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
17-07-2006 12:47
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

Helpfulness rating: 

it probably will.

check the steinburg website to see what they recommend you run cubase on

__

17-07-2006 12:50 Homepage of D2o
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Digital Cause
Hey, this isnt along the lines of this conversation but is related none the less.

Ive just got cubase and dont know fuck all bout computers, but could anyone let me know if these specs will cut reason running with cubase + multiple vst plug ins? :

- Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz, 256 MB DDR RAM, 30 GB hard disk
- 420 Go graphics with 32 MB DDR VRAM

thanks, and if there are any problems what can be done to remedy these? i.e. an external hardrive?

Cheers (im not running nothing else on the computer but these two programs + plug ins), reason is perfectly fine but just learning cubase and definetely up for some editing reason tunes in cubase!

you're on a serious low RAM-wise, 256 is the minimum for running Win XP alone and since the rewiring Reason through Cubase eats CPU and RAM especially you should consider a massive upgrade to at least 1 GB. graphic card's ram isn't going to help since the CPU can't use it

for the reference: I am running an overcolcked AMD Sempron 2600+, 1GB of DDR 400 Mhz in dual channel mode

Reason 3.04 rewired through Cubase SX 2 and the system hogs wih more than 4 channels actively rewired with a few VST plugins (waves 5, izotope ozone etc.)

IMO Cubase's Rewire is a bit unoptimized. Therefore I use Mackie's Traction 2 which is a lot more sensible to your memory and it has up to 64-bit mixing too (such as Cubase) so there is no sound quality loss.

__
17-07-2006 12:58 Homepage of cynik
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » CPU Dilema