drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » Can FL Studio be considered a legitimate sequencer?
Go to the bottom of this page Can FL Studio be considered a legitimate sequencer?
Author
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 06-03-2006

I really tripping on everyones reluctency to accept FLS as a legitimate sequencer. I'm not sure I understand what everyone that make electronic music is worried about. How much easier can it be than highlighting a virtual instrument and pressing record before playing? OR stringing out notes in the piano roll and drawing in automation. What other capabilities do you need that FL doesn't supply? The Only real reason i can see using software to track is because bouncing items in FL isn't very user friendly. Also recording live isn't optimal. but other than that it's a killer fuckin' app. Nice Vst host. Quality sound. Am I wrong here?

edit by thechronic: This was an offtopic post and has been split off the following thread: What to buy?
07-03-2006 22:24
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

it's not a standard sequencer. for sure the playlist thingie seems logical to the people for whom FL was the first progam to come accross.

but coming from a Reason/Cubase/Cakewalk background though pattern sequencing in FL feels awkward and clumsy

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
09-03-2006 12:00 Homepage of cynik
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Yeah, I noticed the same thing.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
09-03-2006 12:05 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

quote:
Originally posted by Tenbucc2
The Only real reason i can see using software to track is because bouncing items in FL isn't very user friendly.

wasn't that problem fixed in the newest Fruity out now, the sixth version?

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
09-03-2006 16:31 Homepage of Friscko
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Not completely fixed, unfortunately. The routing is unlimited, but only for mixer tracks. If you bother, you can get it to work as you with, though.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
09-03-2006 16:54 Homepage of Muad'Dib
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

I honestly dont think it matters in the slightest what you use. Ive said it a thousand times, Ive heard absolutely shite tracks made with Logic, and Ive heard blinding tracks made with music 2000 on the PS2. If it really bothers you so much, then go and buy a super duper computer. spend thousands of pounds/dollars/euros/whatevers on all the most expensive software, buy all the rackmounted shit you can find. And then see if your music gets any better, I can bet it wont. I comes down to what youre used to. I youre used to the way that FL works, then use that, if you prefer the way Logic works, then use that.. And by the way, anybody who thinks that the way that sequencing in FL works is weird, you should try using a TB303. Now thats fucking odd, doesnt mean its not absolutely brilliant.
10-03-2006 00:04
detox

Registration Date: 15-04-2006

I've used FL6 to do multi tracking. meanign i recorded synths, vocals, and a bass on to a drum track i had running in FL. i had no problems....can we please get over this legitimacy issue on FL? us that use FL KNOW just how powerful it can be in the right hands, just like any peice of software...Lets move foward. this topic is stale and bitter. Big Grin
15-04-2006 18:19
TheProducer TheProducer is a male

images/avatars/avatar-2104.gif

Registration Date: 23-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by TechDiff
I honestly dont think it matters in the slightest what you use. Ive said it a thousand times, Ive heard absolutely shite tracks made with Logic, and Ive heard blinding tracks made with music 2000 on the PS2. If it really bothers you so much, then go and buy a super duper computer. spend thousands of pounds/dollars/euros/whatevers on all the most expensive software, buy all the rackmounted shit you can find. And then see if your music gets any better, I can bet it wont. I comes down to what youre used to. I youre used to the way that FL works, then use that, if you prefer the way Logic works, then use that.. And by the way, anybody who thinks that the way that sequencing in FL works is weird, you should try using a TB303. Now thats fucking odd, doesnt mean its not absolutely brilliant.

This lad is a wise man listen to his words carefully cos you know he makes sense , cos this is the smartest thing ive seen said on this site so
far trust me . its not what you use its how you use it & maybe a bit of who's using it too Big Grin i make Perfectly good drum & bass using FL7 & all the ones b4 & so anyone who says you can't is a fuckin knob i been making dnb for a good few years now and have released several tracks that have been sold out in the shops for real spondoolies which then entered into my bank account Drummer Tongue
now granted i only had a few thousand pressed but the point is you can make music with a pair of spoons if you know how to each seq may have something diffrent that sells itself to producers but @the end of the day they all do the same thing Drummer learn how to use it ,then use it well thats the key nuff said Spliff ter rar fellas

find my tracks in here >>>>

http://www.myspace.com/theproducer2007

__
Many Will Walk The Path I Lead , Yet Few Shall Leave There Trails ....

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by TheProducer: 23-04-2007 10:08.

23-04-2007 10:03
equipped equipped is a male
tired

images/avatars/avatar-2339.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
22 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.23

crankin your tunes on yur mespak Mr.The Producer, real nice, heafty heafty, welcome to the DnB.Be, cheers.

__
Space
23-04-2007 10:36
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

i have heard people make amazing songs with just a 4 track tape recorder.... the beatles?

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

23-04-2007 10:49 Homepage of Halph-Price
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
Originally posted by TheProducer
this is the smartest thing ive seen said on this site

The implications of this make my eye tremble Huh

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
23-04-2007 11:27 Homepage of thechronic

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
quote:
Originally posted by TheProducer
this is the smartest thing ive seen said on this site

The implications of this make my eye tremble Huh

SO FAR I MEANT Big Grin

__

23-04-2007 13:00

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by equipped
crankin your tunes on yur mespak Mr.The Producer, real nice, heafty heafty, welcome to the DnB.Be, cheers.

cheers buddy glad to be here Smile

__

23-04-2007 13:01
cjstyles
Wicked Producer

Registration Date: 06-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

I've only ever used FL right from Version 3.0 up until v4.12 that im using now and ive been really happy with what it can do. Does what it says on the tin really. unfortunately my PC is way too full of shit at the moment to be able to install brand spanking new versions of Reason and stuff so will have to wait til i get a new PC to start dabbling in now FL stuff.

__
NexGen / Plush / Liquid Brilliants / LDNBmusic / Ambra

Paul SG - Hidden Smile (CJ Styles Remix) forthcoming Ambra

23-04-2007 15:33
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

That is the wrong question imo. The right question would be: "Can you make good tunes with FL studio". The answer is YES.

If you want an answer to your first question: here is the wikipedia definition of DAW.

And here is what it says about FL... (for what it's worth...)
"Though initially a beat-sequencing tool, FL Studio has a Producer edition that offers most of the DAW features of Cubase SX and it is steadily gaining credibility as a professional tool. Among it's more unique features is a built-in Edison waveform editor with an embedded Pascal language compiler, allowing users to simply create new sound filter 'plugins' easily and without external tools or an API like VST. Though the pattern-based approach to sequencing might be off-putting to traditional DAW users, FL Studio seems to strike a good balance between ease-of-use for beginning users while being a very flexible, extensible environment for advanced users."

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
23-04-2007 22:39 Homepage of BattleDrone
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

that's what i thought when i first used fl, i used a bunch of other prog's before. and we just used the program pattern seq, but you could tell the depth. you can see that thre's a deep level to what you can achieve if yuo want to, and if you know what you're doing.

not the best prog out there, but if you like seq, like i do, it's better then cubase.

oh and the PRICE!!!! free updates for life.

fuck logic gets one update YOU HAVE TO PAY 100 MORE BUCKS FOR IT!!!!!!!

FUCK! Shocked

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 23-04-2007 22:50.

23-04-2007 22:49 Homepage of Halph-Price
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

Fl is good for the resaons that you have stated however the interface is shit, the sound is only a 16 bit render for every song and loop, and it eats cpu... 3 good reasons why a lot of people dont use it and say its shit...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

24-04-2007 04:46
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
that's what i thought when i first used fl, i used a bunch of other prog's before. and we just used the program pattern seq, but you could tell the depth. you can see that thre's a deep level to what you can achieve if yuo want to, and if you know what you're doing.

not the best prog out there, but if you like seq, like i do, it's better then cubase.

oh and the PRICE!!!! free updates for life.

fuck logic gets one update YOU HAVE TO PAY 100 MORE BUCKS FOR IT!!!!!!!

FUCK! Shocked

to argue this.. the reason why professionals use things liek cubase and logic is becuase theyre general industry standard... theyre quality across the board, and from what ive seen done in both those programs they surpass FL in many many ways... plus if you ever go work in a studio... like a real recording studio.. you bet your fucking ass theyre NOT gonna be using FL

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

24-04-2007 04:48
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
to argue this.. the reason why professionals use things liek cubase and logic is becuase theyre general industry standard... theyre quality across the board, and from what ive seen done in both those programs they surpass FL in many many ways... plus if you ever go work in a studio... like a real recording studio.. you bet your fucking ass theyre NOT gonna be using FL

Yeah true but they won't be using Logic nor Cubase either, in recording studios it is Protools all the way, with some using Nuendo.

But that is not the goal of FL, it is not designed for recording and mixing, it is a fun composition tool for electronic music. It might not be top of the line but it surely gets the job done.

Take Protools, it is arguably the best quality software in existence but it simply is not well suited for composing dnb, in that regard FL is far superior.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
24-04-2007 11:37 Homepage of thechronic
gls
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
Fl is good for the resaons that you have stated however the interface is shit

This is completely subjective and not a valid argument, for example I don't like cubase's interface but that doesn't mean cubase is shit.

quote:
the sound is only a 16 bit render for every song and loop

I don't understand this, when I render a song or loop I can render up to 32 bit.

Or do you mean the real time playback of samples? If so you simply change the interpolation settings, make they higher.

quote:
and it eats cpu

Again I would say this is subjective and depends entirely on your computer, I have vstis that use more cpu than flstudio does.

As far as I can tell the main reason people don't like flstudio is simply down to snobbery, they just don't like the fact that a program that cost a quarter the price of their "professional" daw can do almost everything that it can, and sometimes more.
24-04-2007 12:34
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » Can FL Studio be considered a legitimate sequencer?