drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » making breaks stutter
Go to the bottom of this page making breaks stutter
Author
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 06-03-2006

YO
EZ now!

so i kinda got a little stutter on my breaks when i cut down the size of a block in the piano roll and repeat them but does anyone know of a better way? looking to string out some squarepusher type stutters.
08-03-2006 23:10
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

Thats the best way to do it. You can some VST effects which will do a similar sort of thing, but theyre nearly always random and you wont have any control over when or for how long the "stutters" last. You can try doing it with a delay or if your felling really clever you can program a buffer in Reaktor. But honestly, the best way to do it is in the piano editor.
09-03-2006 00:01
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Yeah, the piano roll is a VERY MIGHTY TOOL, which will give you unlimited combinations while producing.

Just remember to set the level of detail you need when working in it.
You should set the SNAP feature, and the Timebase (PPQ) feature which can be found in Options menu -> Project General Settings.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
09-03-2006 01:04 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Tenbucc2 Tenbucc2 is a male
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 06-03-2006

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
Just remember to set the level of detail you need when working in it.

yeah i rarely remember to go bigger
09-03-2006 02:31
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

quote:
Originally posted by Tenbucc2
so i kinda got a little stutter on my breaks when i cut down the size of a block in the piano roll and repeat them but does anyone know of a better way? looking to string out some squarepusher type stutters.

if u know the answer, why do you ask the question?
i like to add stuff like filter cutoff and stuff on my snare stutters, also cutting out lil pieces from a long stutter piece sound quite cool imo

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
09-03-2006 11:21 Homepage of Friscko
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by Friscko

Elf Hey dude, one can never be sure if there isn't a better way to do things untill you've asked others.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
13-03-2006 15:04 Homepage of BattleDrone
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
quote:
Originally posted by Friscko

Elf Hey dude, one can never be sure if there isn't a better way to do things untill you've asked others.

it wasnt meant to be rude.
and it just is the best way to do it, you have the best control over it this way..

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
13-03-2006 15:16 Homepage of Friscko
PEAHEAD
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1473.jpg

Registration Date: 27-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

yeah i like to do mine in piano roal. but the is this need little tool which is called BUFFER ORVERIDE (STERIO/MONO) itz a vst effect and it gives u exactly what u want. but its not very contorlable quite random but yeah its alrite i supose. but id stick to piano roal

a nice little trick in fruity make ur snare stutter and the at the bottom of piano roal add a cutoff filter. and fade it down or up or up and down and u can get som intrestin results.

trying to do it with delay wil jus delay you. the are much better and more effective ways and not to mention faster.

stick to pian roal
13-03-2006 15:37
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by PEAHEAD
trying to do it with delay wil jus delay you.

sounds to me you ain't seen a proper delay yet. set it as dry as possible and bring on the feedback. un-sync then fuck around with the step settings - youll hear what I mean.

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
13-03-2006 16:02 Homepage of cynik
PEAHEAD
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

wel of corse ive seen delay

i kno how to work em and to be honest id stil prefer my way

i think u have much more control but mabye im wrong but then again mabye i dont care. i like doin it in piano roal no offence, n not bein a tw*at about it im jus sayin
13-03-2006 16:06
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

yeah maybe that was a bit rude from me too - sorry it's totally unintended. I agree that there are lots of different ways to do something - thats' why it's fun, it would be dead boring if there was a "right way" of doing anything and everyone would just stick to it

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
13-03-2006 16:12 Homepage of cynik
PEAHEAD
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
yeah maybe that was a bit rude from me too - sorry it's totally unintended. I agree that there are lots of different ways to do something - thats' why it's fun, it would be dead boring if there was a "right way" of doing anything and everyone would just stick to it

ha yeah no worriez geeza
13-03-2006 16:18
@1$-)
unregistered
import your beats into cubase sx. click on the wav to open the audio editor, in there youll find something not disimilar to beat detective in pro tools, you can go in and pitch up, time stretch, process hits with fx to create some sonic weirdness quickly and also keep it professional sounding. good for those squarepusher and dj shadow moments of madness.
13-03-2006 16:44
baz baz is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1379.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
23 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.96

quote:
Originally posted by PEAHEAD
wel of corse ive seen delay

i kno how to work em and to be honest id stil prefer my way

i think u have much more control but mabye im wrong but then again mabye i dont care. i like doin it in piano roal no offence, n not bein a tw*at about it im jus sayin
Shocked is this shit censored Big Grin

__
"shotgun ; slammin in yo chestpiece ; blaw"
13-03-2006 16:44 Homepage of baz
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
YO
EZ now!

techdiff will help you most on this....

but you can either throw them ina granulizer or.. set the cross fade effect on them, sequence your beats, then use teh articulation and arpegiator in FL to throw em all over the place...

deff a cool trick for a lil flava here and there..

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

13-03-2006 19:16
TechDiff

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
quote:
YO
EZ now!

techdiff will help you most on this....

but you can either throw them ina granulizer or.. set the cross fade effect on them, sequence your beats, then use teh articulation and arpegiator in FL to throw em all over the place...

deff a cool trick for a lil flava here and there..

Thats a good point actually, forgot about that one. If youre using FL. Load up a snare or whatever into a sampler. If you set the range of the arpegiator to 1 and set the speed nice and fast. You'll get fast retriggering from the arp but without the pitch being changed (unless you want it to) The onlt thing with this method is that its a little harder to get filter automation etc.
13-03-2006 23:02
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Or you get a VST plugin called Glitch and let it do the stuttering for you.
Glitch can do much more than just stuttering.

But if you want full control you should do it manually.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
15-03-2006 00:28 Homepage of BattleDrone
PEAHEAD
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

yeah tht looks alrite but i would stil prefer piano roal. lol mabye im boring but hey i can get it to sound just how i want it.

i think im gona try tht thing with the arpegiator. see how tht sounds n tht mite be the new way.

oh yeah baz it ent blanked out i did it cuz i thaught it mite be. wel thaught i mite get told not to speak like tht on here
15-03-2006 07:46
TechDiff

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
Or you get a VST plugin called Glitch and let it do the stuttering for you.
Glitch can do much more than just stuttering.

But if you want full control you should do it manually.

Glitch is cool, it does give you total control if you can be bothered. But its instantly recognisable. Plus it takes a fuck load of effort to programme well.
Anyone who's used it will know if you're using it straight away which is a real problem. Kinda defeats the point of "experimental" dance music if everyone knows how youre doing it. I know Ive said already, but Reaktor is the way to go if you want quality edits in your drums. It takes a LLOONNGG time to get to grips with (I think Ive been using it for about 5 years) but its gotta be the most rewarding programme ever made. The best thing though, is that due to the way it works, you can make your own drum mash up tools and it wont sound familiar to anyone. There is no way that it could. The only way it is recognisable is if you hear some mental drum programming which sounds totaly unreal, and you'll go "How the FUCK did they do that??!!?! " and the answer will be, "probably Reaktor" Bigup
15-03-2006 12:06
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » making breaks stutter