drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Question & answer session with Gein
Go to the bottom of this page Question & answer session with Gein 4 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
CXNT

images/avatars/avatar-1601.jpg

Registration Date: 31-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
16 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

quote:
Prior to that however I do take off all final limiting / compression on the master output. Then I bounce the final as a 24bit Wav with -3 to -6db of headroom and burn to a data CD then mail it to them. From there usually they can make it sound good!

thats some cool advice, if u are ready to send stuff off.

so do you grab ambience samples from movies... and use those in tunes...
and when you sample a break... do you individually chop up the sounds into one shots and throw them into their own channel?

__
[R] CentaSpike :: Tracks

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by anf0 D: 08-03-2006 04:27.

08-03-2006 04:25 Homepage of anf0 D
gein
Producer

Registration Date: 22-02-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by anf0 D
quote:
Prior to that however I do take off all final limiting / compression on the master output. Then I bounce the final as a 24bit Wav with -3 to -6db of headroom and burn to a data CD then mail it to them. From there usually they can make it sound good!

do you individually chop up the sounds into one shots and throw them into their own channel?

nah I don't really bother with that. I treat the whole break evenly with the same effects. Then throw accent snares onto a different channel.
08-03-2006 05:24
Nosrac Nosrac is a male
Bag of Hammers

images/avatars/avatar-837.jpg

Registration Date: 15-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
17 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.76

quote:
Originally posted by gein
quote:
Originally posted by Nosrac
Do you have any quick techniques for grabbing sounds off of dvd's? Anyone know how to crack directly into the audio files?

insert your dvd into your dvd drive on your computer.

open wavelab and set your record settings not to an actual input but to the monitor.

Hit record on wavelab.

Press play on the dvd.

INTERNAL DVD AUDIO CAPTURING UNVEILED!!! :-p

I was more refering to opening up the locked audio files on a dvd so you can seperate the sound effects from the score (for example) - any tips for this?

Checked your myspace - amazing stuff man Devil

__
Tunes pictures and info: Myspace Page
MP3's: Acid Planet Page
08-03-2006 06:33 Homepage of Nosrac
gein
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
quote:
Do you have any quick techniques for grabbing sounds off of dvd's? Anyone know how to crack directly into the audio files?

open wavelab and set your record settings not to an actual input but to the monitor.

Hit record on wavelab.

Press play on the dvd.

I was more refering to opening up the locked audio files on a dvd so you can seperate the sound effects from the score (for example) - any tips for this?

Checked your myspace - amazing stuff man Devil

Not that I know of. If you find out about that tho let me know because there are more than a few dvds I'd like to do that to.
08-03-2006 07:30
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Awesome for a layer tho.

Exactly!

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

08-03-2006 08:02 Homepage of Surya
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
quote:

Hit record on wavelab.

Press play on the dvd.

Not all soundcards support this, but if yours does, this is indeed the easyest way.

If not, try some of the adio ripping methods described in the guides on http://www.doom9.net/

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

08-03-2006 08:04 Homepage of Surya
equipped equipped is a male
tired

images/avatars/avatar-2339.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
22 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.23

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by southpaw
?

All tracks end up being audio eventually.

l.
good to hear it from a pro,..i was gettin worried cause all my tracks end up as audio,..folks were tellin me that i was developing lazy bad habits,..but hearin this from you lets me know im on the right track afterall,..cheers for that mighty-> "gein"....made me day,..questions still on the go.. Drummer

__
Space

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by equipped: 08-03-2006 10:14.

08-03-2006 09:54
anf0 D anf0 D is a male
CXNT

images/avatars/avatar-1601.jpg

Registration Date: 31-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
16 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
quote:
quote:

Hit record on wavelab.

Press play on the dvd.

Not all soundcards support this, but if yours does, this is indeed the easyest way.

If not, try some of the adio ripping methods described in the guides on http://www.doom9.net/

should be able to do it in windows fairly easly with a dvd rom

open up your volume control... go to options... recording... check sterio mixer... play dvd... record in sound forge... done

__
[R] CentaSpike :: Tracks
08-03-2006 23:49 Homepage of anf0 D
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

One more question (since you turn out to be such a nice guy):

where to find label contacts!?! I mean, I found some guys, but the BIG ONES are unreachable... unfortunately.

I have some dark tunes, but can't release them (or at least GIVE them) because I can't find anyone. Or maybe I'm so bad that I'm already notorious, and everyone escape before me... Big Grin

Do you distort reeces?

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
09-03-2006 01:23 Homepage of Muad'Dib
gein
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
One more question (since you turn out to be such a nice guy):

where to find label contacts!?! I mean, I found some guys, but the BIG ONES are unreachable... unfortunately.

I have some dark tunes, but can't release them (or at least GIVE them) because I can't find anyone. Or maybe I'm so bad that I'm already notorious, and everyone escape before me... Big Grin

Do you distort reeces?

A reece without distortion is like a good looking girl without a vagina my friend.
A WASTE OF TIME! :-p j/p ladies I love you

Well as far as contacts are concerned, the toughest thing is getting the big guys to listen to your shit if you don't have some kind of credibility to your name. My advice would be to just give your tunes to as many people as you can to get them heard and eventually one of those big guys you talk about will hear it and ask what it is if they like it. Aim is also invaluable...
09-03-2006 01:53
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

Yo!!!!, jus checked out your demostreams page out, u guys are amazing, its a real priviledge to have you here helping out us budding producers

Big Thanks

Glim

__
My Sounds
09-03-2006 03:22
@1$-)
unregistered
mayo or ketchup??
09-03-2006 03:30
gein
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
mayo or ketchup??

ketchup and mustard please Tongue
09-03-2006 04:32
hardplnsdrftr hardplnsdrftr is a male
Streetcleaner

Registration Date: 07-03-2006

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by greyone
yo , how long have you been producing (+-).
And how much time in the week do you spend on producing?

greetz , Greyone

I personally have been Djing for about 8 years, producing for about 6-7. I spend all week every week on tunes when I'm not playing shows. All my time is dedicated to music.

First of all, thanks for doing this. Nice Q & A.

So do I understand correctly that you don't have a job, just make a living from making music/ DJing?? If so, nice goin.

I met you in Chicago last month. I was the guy with shaved head in the green hooded jacket, not sure if you remember me or not. Great fucking set. A couple of questions.

1. when you make a track, do you lay the beats and bass first, i.e. the meat of the track, and build from that? or do you find everythng (all samples, sounds etc) and sort of work it from begining to end?

2. do you use a lot of compression on your breaks, then add clean layered drum hits, or do you do it vice versa, or not really use compression at all, using more EQ

3. for basses, do you synthesize them or end up using samples more often. I find that my basses almost always are better when using samples intitially, but this may be due to my inexperience (I have only been producing 2 years)

4. would you be willing to critique one of my tracks if I were to send it you via aim? let me know

Thanks again for doing this and keep up the good work.

__
"Trouble is the common denominator of living. It is the great equalizer."
Søren Kierkegaard

http://www.myspace.com/hardplainsdrifter
09-03-2006 06:41 Homepage of hardplnsdrftr
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

who are the producers on the scene you consider top?

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
09-03-2006 09:38 Homepage of cynik
gein
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
who are the producers on the scene you consider top?

No specific order.

Tech Itch
Evol Intent
SPL
Limewax
Dylan
B-key
Ewun
Arsenic
The Riot
Tza

a lot of doods are doing sick shit right now...
09-03-2006 11:30
gein
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by hardplnsdrftr
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by greyone
yo , how long have you been producing (+-).
And how much time in the week do you spend on producing?

greetz , Greyone

I personally have been Djing for about 8 years, producing for about 6-7. I spend all week every week on tunes when I'm not playing shows. All my time is dedicated to music.

First of all, thanks for doing this. Nice Q & A.

So do I understand correctly that you don't have a job, just make a living from making music/ DJing?? If so, nice goin.

I met you in Chicago last month. I was the guy with shaved head in the green hooded jacket, not sure if you remember me or not. Great fucking set. A couple of questions.

1. when you make a track, do you lay the beats and bass first, i.e. the meat of the track, and build from that? or do you find everythng (all samples, sounds etc) and sort of work it from begining to end?

2. do you use a lot of compression on your breaks, then add clean layered drum hits, or do you do it vice versa, or not really use compression at all, using more EQ

3. for basses, do you synthesize them or end up using samples more often. I find that my basses almost always are better when using samples intitially, but this may be due to my inexperience (I have only been producing 2 years)

4. would you be willing to critique one of my tracks if I were to send it you via aim? let me know

Thanks again for doing this and keep up the good work.

Ya I remember you man!

1) Ya beats and bass pretty much till I got some good sounds to work with then I'll throw in samples and rewrite the bassline so that it works with the other samples (choir or whatever from a movie or other source).

2) ya it's compressed but not a whole lot. just enough to make it snap. the rest is eqing and gain distortion and then filter layering in the emu.

3) Samples

4) sure but I can't guarentee an immediate review because a lot of time my comp audio is tied up with logic and I'm working on tunes. You're always welcome to sent tho! I'll almost always listen to stuff people send me... the only thing I have to say to anyone else out there who might be thinking about sending stuff is that if you are given feedback about something just listen and consider it for yourself. Don't take it as personal offence and please don't get defensive.
09-03-2006 11:36
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Glim
Yo!!!!, jus checked out your demostreams page out,

Hey, where's that? Smile

Anyway, thanx for your answers, Gein! I'm glad we have you here ! Bigup

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
09-03-2006 11:55 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

7 minutes can be a long time - what do you do to keep your tracks interesting from start to finish?

and what is your favourite tech itch track? Tongue
09-03-2006 12:04
saphir saphir is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-185.gif

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

i don't have much questions

just saying high Smile

just maybe one.
do you guys accept demos?
i don't go with the hype and do 10 melodies par tune
i fetch the oldskool breakz with some dark vibes

i focus on the subtle details

but heres a real question

when doing tunes, after a few years, like me 8years:
i still found it hard to give every tune THAT ID, that you've been working on for the last couple of years, your sound
and i don't mean samples...vibes or anything

"sound"

how you guys approach the fact that every song should sell itself as "your id", like they say "it's a gein tune"

Wink one to think about...

greets

__
http://soundcloud.com/saphir_gazmazk

www.nitras.be
09-03-2006 12:37 Homepage of saphir
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Question & answer session with Gein