drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Question & answer session with Limewax
Go to the bottom of this page Question & answer session with Limewax 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Producer

Registration Date: 14-02-2006

quote:
Originally posted by Friscko
what are your computer specs?

A P4 over 3Ghz
15-02-2006 20:41
LIMEWAX
Producer

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
quote:
Originally posted by LIMEWAX
quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
ok i cant get usually get anyone to answer this....how much cash on average do you make from a single and e.p.?

depends on record label and artist.. cant tell more.

lmfao. er...ok..how much did YOU make from your last single?. or at least give a ruff amount so if people get signed on here they know their not getting ripped off....

This deal is something between the label and artist.. cant give u any inside info.
15-02-2006 20:43
LIMEWAX
Producer

quote:
Originally posted by dizriz
wtf to the above.. sorry

The question was regarding your views on a few harder producers making a switch to the liquid side of things... Take the new Baron tune for instance: At The Drivein (Also it's slightly dodgy b-side is fairly light-headed) Are you tempted as it's usually the musically trained that make this switch.

Cheers...

i can understand that some poeple need more viriety in their carier, its interesting to try something diffrent once a while.
15-02-2006 20:52
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
quote:
wtf to the above.. sorry

The question was regarding your views on a few harder producers making a switch to the liquid side of things... Take the new Baron tune for instance: At The Drivein (Also it's slightly dodgy b-side is fairly light-headed) Are you tempted as it's usually the musically trained that make this switch.

Cheers...

i can understand that some poeple need more viriety in their carier, its interesting to try something diffrent once a while.

Don't you think it's better that they use an alias for that? Like Drifter for Noisia...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

15-02-2006 21:05 Homepage of Surya
equipped equipped is a male
tired

images/avatars/avatar-2339.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
22 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.23

Cheer's for doin this Happy ,....How do you go about getting your bass level's to sit where you want em in a track?,...do you use a sound analyzer of sort's, or your trusty ear's?,..or both....and when listenin to the level's of your bass to get them right, do you put your track through several different source's like->car sterio,..cheep ghetto blaster,..hi fi sterio ect ect..?..if so what's the best in your experiance?.....When comparing my track's to the pro's,.. my bass is allway's to dam loud,..did this in my car sterio for example,...so if i get the bass soundin right for my car i can't hardly hear it let alone feel it when in the studio,...speaker's i produce with->(Behringer Truth's b2031's)....your feedback is much appretiated..

__
Space

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by equipped: 15-02-2006 23:33.

15-02-2006 22:09
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

Cheers for doing this. Got a couple of questions. Not to concerned about the tech stuff as I think thats for everyone to work out for themselves, its easier to understand it that way. Im more interested in the personal stuff. (Not that kinda personal stuff!)

First off, did you ever make a consious effort to get a career in music ie. sending demo and generaly pimping yourself, or was it more a case of someone hearing you stuff by accident and getting in contact with you? Did it take a long time to cement your carrer, are you on the bread-line?

Second off, do you write stuff that youd never release because of style or something, like piano pieces. Or do you spend a while on one or two tunes that your definate on releasing? How long do you spend writting a tune?
15-02-2006 22:21
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

whats the best way to make an impression on a label...

obviously consistancy on a demo is important... but should an artist go as far as making full cover art...bio..etc etc for the demo...

im currently working an 8 song LP as a demo with a second disc with the tracks mixed an hour dj mix...

is that too much...

or is that would someone running a label that obviousl is tedious to run, would like to see as far as effort and time goes...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

15-02-2006 22:50
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

I know your not asking me, but I wouldve thought that 8 tracks and a mix set is far too much. Out of all the different labels Ive asked this question, the most anyone has ever said is 5, most have said 3. Why not make a mix set with just a few of your best tracks, quality not quantity. After all, its worth keeping a few good tunes, so that if they do like it and ask if youve got anymore, you can send them more stormers instead of saying, "erm... Ive already sent you my best stuff."

As for the covers and stuff, Id guess it depends on the label, but good cover art etc will reflect well on yourself, it makes you look motivated and prepared to put in some real effort. Just make sure its nothing cliché. I'd suggest getting in contact with the individual labels to see what they want. Some will want a bio etc, some will just want the music and contact details.
15-02-2006 23:10
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by TechDiff
I know your not asking me, but I wouldve thought that 8 tracks and a mix set is far too much. Out of all the different labels Ive asked this question, the most anyone has ever said is 5, most have said 3. Why not make a mix set with just a few of your best tracks, quality not quantity. After all, its worth keeping a few good tunes, so that if they do like it and ask if youve got anymore, you can send them more stormers instead of saying, "erm... Ive already sent you my best stuff."

As for the covers and stuff, Id guess it depends on the label, but good cover art etc will reflect well on yourself, it makes you look motivated and prepared to put in some real effort. Just make sure its nothing cliché. I'd suggest getting in contact with the individual labels to see what they want. Some will want a bio etc, some will just want the music and contact details.

guess ti depends on the labels...but thats how highcontrast got signed to hospital... his first album true colors...is the exact demo he sent hospital..

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

15-02-2006 23:22
Darkside Darkside is a male
Old-School Rolla

images/avatars/avatar-955.jpeg

Registration Date: 02-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.71

this is the biggest thing on my mind.
where do you think drum n' bass is going, basically?
and who's going to take it there? maybe not name specific producers, but what kind of attitude is going to be in the money for the future?
16-02-2006 02:15
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Darkside
and who's going to take it there? maybe not name specific producers, but what kind of attitude is going to be in the money for the future?

If that is the biggest thing on your mind man... Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
16-02-2006 20:16 Homepage of Muad'Dib
anf0 D anf0 D is a male
CXNT

images/avatars/avatar-1601.jpg

Registration Date: 31-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
16 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

i dont really have a mad question....

i just wanted to say raspekt for the mad inspiration Bigup

oh maybe one question... got any links to some sets ;P

__
[R] CentaSpike :: Tracks
17-02-2006 00:50 Homepage of anf0 D
LIMEWAX
Producer

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
quote:
quote:
wtf to the above.. sorry

Cheers...

Don't you think it's better that they use an alias for that? Like Drifter for Noisia...

Not nesseserly, maybe if you gonna do something realy diffrent, but i would change my name if i ever gonna make clownstep Big Grin
17-02-2006 03:05
LIMEWAX
Producer

quote:
Originally posted by equipped
Cheer's for doin this Happy ,....How do you go about getting your bass level's to sit where you want em in a track?,...do you use a sound analyzer of sort's, or your trusty ear's?,..or both....and when listenin to the level's of your bass to get them right, do you put your track through several different source's like->car sterio,..cheep ghetto blaster,..hi fi sterio ect ect..?..if so what's the best in your experiance?.....When comparing my track's to the pro's,.. my bass is allway's to dam loud,..did this in my car sterio for example,...so if i get the bass soundin right for my car i can't hardly hear it let alone feel it when in the studio,...speaker's i produce with->(Behringer Truth's b2031's)....your feedback is much appretiated..

yeah sometimes its hard to get levels right between a high reece and deep bass, i usualy stand on a lower floor or next to my room to hear it.. that works for me
17-02-2006 03:08
LIMEWAX
Producer

quote:
Cheers for doing this. Got a couple of questions. Not to concerned about the tech stuff as I think thats for everyone to work out for themselves, its easier to understand it that way. Im more interested in the personal stuff. (Not that kinda personal stuff!)

First off, did you ever make a consious effort to get a career in music ie. sending demo and generaly pimping yourself, or was it more a case of someone hearing you stuff by accident and getting in contact with you? Did it take a long time to cement your carrer, are you on the bread-line?

I didnt send any demos actually, got hooked up by accident and the rest floated.

quote:
are you on the bread-line?

im sorry my english is not that well but i think u mean or i can make a living out of it?.. its realy hard tho, its all about playing shows, get paid for releases can take a while sometimes and u have to be sure that ur rent is on time.

quote:
Second off, do you write stuff that youd never release because of style or something, like piano pieces. Or do you spend a while on one or two tunes that your definate on releasing? How long do you spend writting a tune?

that can be diffrent.. sometimes make a tune in 1 night, and sometimes takes a month. the stuff i do besides drum and bass is so far just for myself.
17-02-2006 03:23
LIMEWAX
Producer

quote:
whats the best way to make an impression on a label...

obviously consistancy on a demo is important... but should an artist go as far as making full cover art...bio..etc etc for the demo...

im currently working an 8 song LP as a demo with a second disc with the tracks mixed an hour dj mix...

is that too much...

or is that would someone running a label that obviousl is tedious to run, would like to see as far as effort and time goes...

quote:

defenetly
17-02-2006 03:28
LIMEWAX
Producer

quote:
Originally posted by Darkside

for so far everyone is doing good in his own genre, and its getting more sapirated wich is realy nice and the drum and bass listeners are having the genres for each their owns.
17-02-2006 03:35
LIMEWAX
Producer

quote:
Originally posted by anf0 D
i dont really have a mad question....

i just wanted to say raspekt for the mad inspiration Bigup

oh maybe one question... got any links to some sets ;P

check out the Therapy sets from this wensday, Drummer
17-02-2006 03:39
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Here is another one from me:

have you browsed around this site, and do you like the free spreading of the art?

And also, don't you think DOA is a bit too harsh to be supportive enough?

Thanx dude Bigup

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
18-02-2006 02:05 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Dave_Akuma Dave_Akuma is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1737.jpg

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.29

quote:

Acid : Sequencing

hell yeah Devil

__

18-02-2006 02:59
Pages (5): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Question & answer session with Limewax