drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » silly question?
Go to the bottom of this page silly question?
Author
Player

images/avatars/avatar-332.gif

Registration Date: 06-04-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.25

This might sound like a silly question to some of you... allright here it comes: in October, I'd like to start producing as well... but I haven't got a clue what exactly I will need (what software, what hardware etc.) Who can tell me what a good "starter's kit" would be???

let me know.
THX

__

26-08-2003 12:52
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

For starters I would say: stick to software. It's less expensive, and easyer to learn.
Just get a PC with enuf power (you don't need the latest Pentium 6 or anything like that, I think about every processor currently sold should give enuf power), enuf ram (256 should be sufficient, 512 is certaiinly enuf) and a very decent soundcard (no Creative Sound Blaster). A Terratec or RME should be good. These also have midi in/out, so you can attach hardware later on if you want.
If you like, you could get a midicontroller for playing piano, bit this is optional.
Software: the usual: Fruityloops for an easy start. Reason or Cubase for the more advanced. Buzz for the experimental ones (and thisone is completely free Big Grin )
Cool Edit Pro or Soundforge or something like that might be usefull for sampling and editing samples.
In the beginning, you should really try to keep kosts low, as producing might not be your thing at all, and it would be a shame about the money. So maybe try some demoversions of the programs above.

Good luck!

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

26-08-2003 14:22 Homepage of Surya
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

Fruity should do for starting out, you can use midi in/out with every soundcard that has a joystick port, just need a litlle cable.
Duno why everybody says creative ain't good, I am very pleased with mine, great sound, since most sold also reasonable prices.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
26-08-2003 20:15 Homepage of djfreemc
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc
Duno why everybody says creative ain't good, I am very pleased with mine, great sound, since most sold also reasonable prices.

You should see the respocecurves on the frequencytable. Talking about a wobbling curve... So decent mastering on them is virtually impossible

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

26-08-2003 21:58 Homepage of Surya
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
You should see the respocecurves on the frequencytable. Talking about a wobbling curve... So decent mastering on them is virtually impossible

will check on that, talk 2 ya later

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
26-08-2003 23:51 Homepage of djfreemc
dmccabe dmccabe is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1048.jpg

Registration Date: 20-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

fruity or resaon & a lil' midi controller, depending on budget even an oxygen 8 is better than nothing. but I'd try to get at least an edirol midi contoller.

__
SAVE THE SL1200
19-07-2005 11:37
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » silly question?