drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Drum patterns again
Go to the bottom of this page Drum patterns again
Author
Steppa

Registration Date: 23-10-2005

I enjoy listening to all tracks on dnb.be but I'm stuck with drum patterns. My patterns go something like 1k 5s 11k 12s which is about it. Everytime I add sother things like perc it just sounds messy. I want to try and link x amount of samplers to one channel so I can edit drum/snare/hi-hat etc in the Piano Roll but it don't seem to work when using layer channels.
10-02-2006 16:56
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

tips

just start with snares 5 and 11or13, this iwll always sound okay. from there anything else will depend ont he anture of the song.
than lay the kick out waky, you'll find it when it sound like it's got swing. you don't need to go taht crazy.

just beatbox it in your heard or your mouth, and try to get it like that o the beat. it's always the best. never do a drum beat you cannot imagine. you're doing magic. Bigup

i mean, if you add to that basic beat, it might work and is not something you can imagine. start with what you know thoe. than expierment. for the foundation, any amature would, and will, tell you NO MAN GO CRAZY. don't. simple and than build upon that. THAN GO CRAZY MAN.

okay, so since that simple, almost common sence instruction on how to build a beat is done.

than add hihat, and other prec. for hihat you can go mad, best to leave that for ever 4 or 8 bars where you do a turn around, that is yuor little flurry that helps make the beat not be like what people will fall back on and say is "Old school jungle". laziness, or back then, just no technical way to make a turntable lay beats, or whatever they did to sample the one break and loop it.

still, keep it simple, and add on the end of the bars, is the nrom. you can do differently if the nature of the song desires it. usually an intro drum pattern helps too, but this is song structure, adn i bet you know all about that.

but to make the drums mesh together, try to eq them seperatly, which should be easy. just try to figure out which drum dominates what freq (lo lo-mid mid-hi and hi) and just eq them so you're taking away a bit of the sounds they arn't needed for. there's no reason for it, it's garbage. this will let tjhem breathe together.

next, on the Send/Buss/Aux channle, set up a nice little reverb. very tight, and short. make it FULL wetness, and zero DRYness.

than for each of thoes channels bring in the reverb from that send, and that will help them sound like ther ein the same room.

i suggest only puting in like 5 or 10 precent, do it so you notice the reverb, and then bring it down a little bit so you almost don't notice it. anyless, and it's not even there. maybe full 10 for the snare and high-hats. 15% for hats, or crash maybe, it depends. as long as the verb is short.

i'd say compress it, but.. if you do, make a short release and almost no attack. shallow threshold, and ratio of about 1:2 - 1:4.

start with the drum preset, make it's release less becaus eit's not set for DNB speed. and put that over all of the drums. compressors are good to help bring instruments together.

oh, and it helps to layer the drums, specially for snares, snares work nicly, and i have heard this for real drums kits too, taking 1 real snare, and one "drum machine" snare. they compliment eachother nicly. but for the kick, maybe to help give it some bottem end punch. real kicks have a nicer click because it's real, that's the only big differnece, you can notice. it's mostly everything above that you can notice.

but even still, alyer up real durms all different types, it helps give a fullness. they have been doing this for years. all the mo-town shit and everytihng. but back than they would just have multi-ple insturments. not just multiple drummers, but everyone. play together really tight. it sounds fat! larger than life. one snare hit next to 5 snares, you'll notice a big difference.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 12-02-2006 06:13.

12-02-2006 06:06 Homepage of Halph-Price
equipped equipped is a male
tired

images/avatars/avatar-2339.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
22 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.23

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
tips

not be like what people will fall back on and say is "Old school jungle". laziness, or back then, just no technical way to make a turntable lay beats, or whatever they did to sample the one break and loop it.
Fuckin smart ass! Mad Big Grin Cool

__
Space

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by equipped: 14-02-2006 22:51.

12-02-2006 09:59
fogga
Steppa

Registration Date: 23-10-2005

Where abouts to I lay ghostsnares? Is it just before every main snare? What about hats?
15-02-2006 13:21
Daz Daz is a male

Registration Date: 22-02-2006

ghost snares are usually 4 bars after the snare but really makin beats is all about what sounds good to you. If you feel you know the score when it comes to dnb and what you hear sounds good to you then theres a good chance it will sound good to the masses. By the way, if you put your snare in a separate channel and put a slight delay on it...... instant ghost snares!
24-02-2006 10:23
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Originally posted by Daz
4 bars

Erm, a when people talk about a bar, they mostly mean 4 beats, wich is 16/16ths. 1 ghostsnare is mostly 1/16th of a bar.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

24-02-2006 13:46 Homepage of Surya
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by Daz
By the way, if you put your snare in a separate channel and put a slight delay on it...... instant ghost snares!

if your reffering to the 3/8 synced delay. does give the beats that oldskool jungly vibe

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
24-02-2006 14:10 Homepage of cynik
tired

Helpfulness rating: 

another way to get instant ghost's->when you layer break's you have to turn one down to make em blend,..instant ghost snare's.. Drummer

__
Space
24-02-2006 23:09
Daz Daz is a male

Registration Date: 22-02-2006

yeah sorry, 4 beats. Fingers faster than brain.
25-02-2006 03:25
tired

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by equipped
->when you layer break's . Drummer
-->meanin when you off set a break to get swing....not the other layering....cheers...

__
Space
25-02-2006 13:47
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Drum patterns again