drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Wot up
Go to the bottom of this page Wot up
Author
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 10-02-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.25

Just thought I'd introduce myself here.

I'm J, I've been producing electronic music since age fifteen. I've been in love with every genre at one time or another, except perhaps gabber and house. And anything with the word "hard" on the front-end, IE hard trance, hard techno, etc. (it's a synonym for "artless and underproduced") Anyhow, I've been all on about D&B since '98 or so, but I don't think I'm part of the "scene"-- I don't flash phony gang signs or talk like a homeless mental patient, I don't dress in camoflauge like a fuckin' nob, and I don't run with a "crew" or a "massive" anymore. Too much bullshit when I did.

Also: I am not, and have never been, a DJ. I'm a hardware-only kinda guy, and yes, I do play live now and then. I might come off as a snotty purist at times, but that's because I see too many figures in the scene taking the "easy ways," and well, SOMEBODY has to keep it real 'round here... Tongue

In my opinion, I straddle that ever-blurry line between amateur and pro; I'm not signed to a label, but that's because I haven't tried to be yet. I run a small-scale recording studio, I produce constantly, lots for other people (almost always non-electronic stuff though), and I know a shite tonne about the technology, the industry, whatever. I've played the game and earned a couple black eyes doing it. And everything I do, unless otherwise noted, is 100% original. I even had my drummer friend re-record a version of the Amen break just... well, because I'm like that. I even fake my own jazz samples.

For those who are curious, I'm originally from the UK, but I now reside in Cascadia, USA. I play under the name God In The Machine, usually. If you're into superfluous genre titles, I play darkstep with a heavy breakcore influence, with lotsa weird atmospherics thrown in for good measure.

I frequent Dogsonacid.com, but I can't hack the pretentious bullshit anymore. I like this place better, you all seem more 'real.' Hit me up for whatever reason, I'm chill with new people.

Peace be.

__
I only post here when I'm drunk.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by J. Wells: 10-02-2006 05:09.

10-02-2006 05:04
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Welcome man, have a nice stay

quote:
Originally posted by J. Wells
anything with the word "hard" on the front-end [...](it's a synonym for "artless and underproduced")

I LOVE hardstep. And have a listen to my latest tunes and tell me if they're underproduced Tongue

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

10-02-2006 10:22 Homepage of Surya
suvcycle suvcycle is a male
jungle boy

images/avatars/avatar-2083.jpg

Registration Date: 03-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

cheerz dude,

stick around

__
some run from the big guns,
some just run from the sound
10-02-2006 10:30
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

Hi!
Why the move to the states?
10-02-2006 12:38
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

hi

a converted DOA heh Big Grin

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
10-02-2006 13:07 Homepage of cynik
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Welcome, friend!

I really shall hope too hear some of your own works, as well as some of your masterings etc. because you seem to know a big deal of the audio technics etc.

Anyway, feel free to post whatever you want here, except flaming and getting other members anxious and ready to kill you, and enjoy in the libery we let live here! Bigup

Peace,
Muad'Dib

PS I love techstep/hardstep/darskstep/IDM Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
10-02-2006 16:21 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

yeah welcome onboard J, - this place is is like a little glimmer of hope in a sea of ignorance...

we all keep it real here, jus check out some of our reviews but you will get what your looking for here, trust me, Loads of decent people here

Hope you enjoy this place like we do, it doesnt suprise me in the least that you've given up on the DOA site.

This place rocks, look forward to seeing ya creepin round the forums!! Bigup Bigup Bigup Bigup Bigup Bigup Bigup Bigup Bigup Bigup

__
My Sounds
10-02-2006 16:48
J. Wells J. Wells is a male
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 10-02-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.25

Thanks for the welcome, all.

Techdiff: I moved to the States for a lot of reasons. I had a parent in the US and one in the UK, both natural-born citizens, so I got to grow up with one foot in each country. Come your 18th birthday, they make you choose one and re-apply for citizenship in the other, so... I chose the US. Sometimes I deeply regret it, sometimes not.

The rest of ya: I don't mean to diss on anyone's style with that whole "I hate the word hard" thing. If you want to call yourself hardbreakstepcore or wotever, just make sure your tunes don't sound like shite. Wink Don't take me too seriously, I'm a monkey wot talks a lot of crap, or maybe just a lot in general, and half the time my posts read like those of a crackhead. (you've been warned)

I'll give you all some of my work to chew on once I get a few things in order, like re-building my now sadly dead and gone computer.

I'm lookin' forward to creepin' 'round, you bet.

__
I only post here when I'm drunk.
11-02-2006 03:13
equipped equipped is a male
tired

images/avatars/avatar-2339.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
22 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.23

quote:
Originally posted by J. Wells

lookin' forward to creepin' .