drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Monitors : genelec or mackie or ... ?
Go to the bottom of this page Monitors : genelec or mackie or ... ?
Author

Registration Date: 13-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

Oi,

I'm going to buy new monitors.

I like the mackie 824. Buti've been told that genelec has also really good monitors. Unfortunatly i didn't have a chance to check them yet .

Anyone has some feedback on the Genelec 8030/40 models? Which one do you prefer?

let me know!

__

www.mentalLAB.com
07-02-2006 14:22 Homepage of krewzader
krewzader krewzader is a male

Registration Date: 13-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

nobody?

__

www.mentalLAB.com
08-02-2006 13:00 Homepage of krewzader
Dubrain Hertz Dubrain Hertz is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-1290.jpg

Registration Date: 23-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

Thing with monitors is you really have to check them out for yourself. Genelec for example is used in many proffesional studios world-wide and are widely regarded as a safe bet. Personally I can't stand them, I've checked out three different models of genelec speakers and I don't like any of them, and I know of several people that says the same thing.

What I am trying to say I guess is that there's so much personal taste involved in loudspeakers, frequency-neutral or not, that the only thing to do is to check them out yourself. Take a day out with your favorite CD, go from store to store and listen to all the pairs of monitors they have.

Good luck

__
Download my album for free/pay what you want http://recordsofthefleshgod.bandcamp.com...years-2002-2005
08-02-2006 13:29 Homepage of Dubrain Hertz
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Yep, you'll have to listen for yourself. The one pair might sound a bit more agressive than the other, and you'll have to descide wich one fits your needs best.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

08-02-2006 17:34 Homepage of Surya
Tenbucc2 Tenbucc2 is a male
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 06-03-2006

quote:
Originally posted by Dubrain Hertz
Genelec for example is used in many proffesional studios world-wide and are widely regarded as a safe bet. Personally I can't stand them, I've checked out three different models of genelec speakers and I don't like any of them, and I know of several people that says the same thing.

I'm the opposite, I love genelecs. but it's all about getting used to what your hearing. i think that's why all studios have ns10's that way if you just can't figure out what the hell's going on you can switch to those and have a point of reference. Personally i have 20/20 and i'm used to them by now. at the time i bought them i got a really good deal and didn't have the money for the 824's that i really wanted. just find some that you think you can adjust to and go for it. Honestly if you have the money go for Tannoy System 800's cuz they are absolutely the best monitors i've ever heard but they're super grit ($). but nothing comes close so maybe go for a sky system cuz they come with a sub. but i'd go with the 824s cuz they're more of a standard than the small genelecs. 824's are kinda like the new ns10s.
07-03-2006 00:27
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Monitors : genelec or mackie or ... ?